PDA

View Full Version : Noise when changing songs

dbailey
2007-11-25, 13:34
Hi,

I have two SB3, an older silver one and a new black faced one. The silver unit works fine, no issues. The black unit does have one issue - if I change songs, there is approximately half a second of noise. It almost sounds like scratching on a LP record. This noise only happens when I change songs. If I play a playlist or complete CD, I don't get the noise. Please advise.

Cheers,
Dave

pablolie
2007-11-25, 23:48
Funny you mention it - just happened to me in the middle of a playlist between songs, where I got random scratching sounds. It had never happened before, and it didn't reappear as I played the same two song sequence. Perhaps that random cosmic ray effect we joked about a while ago does indeed rear its head on occasion, and we had high cosmic ray exposure today on both our SB3. :-)

Hope your problem disappeared and stays the random 2 year occurrance it's been on my setup as of today.

Wirrunna
2007-11-26, 14:24
I have been getting this random noise for some time.
It is random, a lot of attempts to reproduce it have failed. It will occur between tracks on a playlist but if I go back and replay the tracks it will not appear between the same tracks.
I have eliminated album art as a contributing factor.

Silver SB3, XP SP2,
SlimServer Version: 6.5.5 - 14339 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.1.6
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

dbailey
2007-11-26, 16:41
Could be cosmic rays, however there is no randomness to it. It happens every time I change songs. Strange.

Wirrunna
2007-11-26, 19:51
Forgot to mention that most of my music is in Apple Lossless format, SB3 is wireless connection. Also the scratch noise only occurs in the left channel - just swapped the audio leads in the back of the SB3 and the noise moved to the right channel
Are cosmic rays the rascals that penetrate everything or will a corrugated iron roof stop them ?