PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu - how to tell Slimserver the path to the music folder

karma mechanic
2007-11-25, 12:48
I've seen another thread regarding music on a NAS box, but in my case the music is on a USB hard drive. I'm starting a new thread on the assumption that I have a different problem, my apologies if this turns out to be untrue... I've just successfully installed Slimserver on my second day of Ubuntu usage so I was on a roll until this little problem.

The external drive is visible as SEA_DISC, and appears to be mounted in the media path.
If I use terminal I can change directory to /media/SEA_DISC/Music/Flac and MP3 and I can list the music folders in that path. Likewise if I open the file system browser I can open music and play it. This leads me to think that the drive is mounted correctly.

I have also changed the permissions on the music folders so that everybody and their dog can read and write the files.

However, in the Slimserver pages I cannot use that path as the location of the music - I get an error stating that the path given is not valid. Even cutting and pasting the exact path from the terminal session doesn't help, so I suspect that this is a permissions issue.

What do I need to do to make the path valid from the point of view of Slimserver ?

The actual error is: New value for Music Folder rejected:

Oops - "/media/SEA_DISC/Music" doesn't seem to be a valid directory. Try again.

SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Debian - EN - iso-8859-1
Server IP address: 192.168.0.3
Perl Version: 5.8.8 i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 5.0.45-Debian_1ubuntu3

ok, updated again - I've found more useful info at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?MusicOnLinuxUSBHardDrives
and that looks like it will get me on the right track. However, in that article it suggests that the output from 'id slimserver' should be something like:
uid=502(slimserver) gid=502(slimserver)

and what I get is:
uid=110(slimserver) gid=65534(nogroup) groups=65534(nogroup)

So before I go any further could someone help me understand what I should do to get the slimserver id to have a group name ?

remd
2007-11-26, 04:03
The link you gave describes well how to have the path accessible to the slimserver user. The UID should be enough, in the fstab. You can however add the slimserver user to a group in the /etc/group file or with the addgroup command, and then just enter your slimserver UID and GID in the fstab, and the path should be accessible (check with df -kh if it is mounted correctly, and ls -l the directory to see what the permissions are..). You can then also use the slimserver user in shell (su and su slimserver for eg.. (sudo passwd to create root in terminal)) and see if the folders are available..

karma mechanic
2007-11-26, 13:30
Thanks, that's go me going again !

cphan
2007-12-26, 13:07
I had this same issue after installing in Ubuntu Gutsy, but it resolved itself on restart.