PDA

View Full Version : Verfying Update never happens

ModelCitizen
2007-11-25, 02:23
Hello,

whenever I attempt to update my Jive's firmware from the remote, the download screen completes but the device never appears to finish Verifying Update.

The only way I can get out of the screen is to hod the Home button down for a (awfully) long time so the remote reboots. Then I am not sure if the device has managed to update it's firmware or not.

I am currently running Windows SqueezeCentre software version 7.0 - 14944 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252 (downloaded a day or two ago) and the remote is reporting the firmware as version 1 r821 root@padbuild #88 6 01:33:53 PST 2007.

Is this what it should be.. or does this mean 06th November was the last firmware it managed to download and verify correctly?

MC

PS. Reading the Settings/Advanced screen is painful. The analogue clock screen saver kicks in far too quickly (default setting).

ModelCitizen
2007-11-25, 02:50
If now got it to update (by accident). I've just installed a second (Softqueeze) player and swichting between the players seemed to automatically instigate a firmware upgrade. This time the update was verified and now I'm a proud 24th November firmware user.

MC

ModelCitizen
2007-11-25, 03:56
Some time after it has updated to 24h Nov firmware I went back to settings/controller settings/advanced/software update and it said there was new software available. I got it to update, it verified Ok and rebooted the remote. But it still lists the same software version as installed (r999) and still says there is new software available.

I've now updated the SqueezeCentre software on my PC to the latest nightly and updated the remote too, which now displays sofware r1001. However, it still states that there is updated software availablem for this remote

MC

dean
2007-11-25, 07:50
On Nov 25, 2007, at 2:56 AM, ModelCitizen wrote:
> Some time after it has updated to 24h Nov firmware I went back to
> settings/controller settings/advanced/software update and it said
> there
> was new software available. I got it to update, it verified Ok and
> rebooted the remote. But it still lists the same software version as
> installed (r999) and still says there is new software available.
How is it telling you that there's new software available? Is it
that you can update from the preferences or that you are prompted
with a menu every time you switch player?

ModelCitizen
2007-11-25, 11:26
It's the Software Update window on the remote (Settings/controller settings/advanced/software update).

It's got worse since I last posted. Now when I try to update from there it attempts to update and then fter a while it tells me it's failed to update.... but it least it doen't require a reboot of the remote after this.

MC

Triode
2007-11-25, 15:26
Does your jive have direct internet access??

I suspect you are running into a similar problem I've seen. A recent update to the server means that it only fetches the firmware file and serves it to jive if the Software Updates preference is on. If it is not then jive will try to fetch software updates from slimdevices.com directly (which will fail unless it has direct access).

So do you have the Software Update setting under Music Library set to on?

ModelCitizen
2007-11-25, 16:05
Thanks.

Jive Remote only has access to the Internet via my wireless router (in the same way as my connected PCs do).

I have always had "Automatically Check for Software Updates" enabled.

MC

Triode
2007-11-25, 16:44
'Only' via your router should work. This does not explain the problem especially as you have the pref enabled.

We probably need to know what the log says during the download. CCan you ssh to the remote? The log should be in /var/log/messages