PDA

View Full Version : Thinging about purchasing but have a question...

eddiel
2007-11-24, 15:32
Hi All

I'm thinking of purchasing the Squeezebox but have a question.

I'm running a new Imac which is accessing the net via a wireless network. My modem is on the 1st floor on the other side of the house and there are a lot of brick walls between me and the router. As a result I had to hook an Airport extreme via ethernet to the modem AND I also had to get an express as the extreme still could not penetrate all the walls between me and it.

Anyway that's all back ground info...I am worried that if I get a Squeezebox it might have problems connecting to my wireless network . I'm thinking it won't since my computer and the Squeezebox will be about 30 feet apart and if my computer can connect then...

Anyway my question is this, should I have problems is it possible to connect the Squeezebox directly to my iMac bypassing the wireless network?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eddie

Fifer
2007-11-24, 15:36
The Squeezebox can be connected to any wired network. It doesn't need a wireless network.

eddiel
2007-11-24, 16:51
The Squeezebox can be connected to any wired network. It doesn't need a wireless network.

Ah yes but I will have to hook mine up via wireless. Otherwise I'd have to run far to much cable between the device and the router.

Eddie

Fifer
2007-11-24, 17:54
I'm not sure what you're asking?

jaysung
2007-11-24, 17:58
Should be possible to hook up the sb3 to the imac via a cable and then let the imac bridge internet access of the box to the router via the wireless network. This way you would at least have a direct connection between the sb3 and the slimserver machine i.e the imac.

eddiel
2007-11-25, 00:32
Sorry I'll try to clarify...

A wired connection won't work for me. Connecting the SB3 to my Imac would mean using several feet of cable since my stereo and my computer are not close together.

My main worry with the wireless route is that the SB3 will have a problem connecting to my network.

Reason being is that the wireless access point is on the first floor at the other side of the house and there are a lot of walls that the signal must pass through.

My Imac initially could not get a very good connection but I found a work around by using an Airport Extreme and Express to connect.

I worried that the SB3 will be too far away to actually connect with my router or will connect but will have a weak signal.

Has anyone had any problems connecting or getting a strong signal?

I was also wondering if I can get the SB3 to link wirelessly to my Imac without need to go via the wireless network. In effect the SB3 and Imac would communicate directly sort of the way a wireless keyboard or mouse connects to the Imac.

I hope that's a little more clear.

Thanks again for the advice and the patience.

Eddie

amcluesent
2007-11-25, 02:19
Are you thinking of having the music files and slimserver on the imac or have you another server wired to the extreme base station?

From what you say, you're using the Express as a wi-fi bridge to the Extreme Base Station.

Double wi-fi links are known to be bad for reliable streaming, especially for lossless formats. To be honest, I doubt the SB3 would perform well.

I doubt you could get the imac and SB3 to link directly and still use the internet. Setting-up the imac to offer 'ad-hoc' wi-fi network services and simultaneously have it connect to the Express access point is probably impossible.

Have you considered using powerline ethernet adapters rather than battle with weak wi-fi?

NB Why not just connect the audio port of the Express to your hi-fi?

eddiel
2007-11-25, 04:12
Are you thinking of having the music files and slimserver on the imac or have you another server wired to the extreme base station?

From what you say, you're using the Express as a wi-fi bridge to the Extreme Base Station.

Double wi-fi links are known to be bad for reliable streaming, especially for lossless formats. To be honest, I doubt the SB3 would perform well.

I doubt you could get the imac and SB3 to link directly and still use the internet. Setting-up the imac to offer 'ad-hoc' wi-fi network services and simultaneously have it connect to the Express access point is probably impossible.

Have you considered using powerline ethernet adapters rather than battle with weak wi-fi?

NB Why not just connect the audio port of the Express to your hi-fi?

Yes the music files will be on the mac and not an external server.

And yes I am using the Express as a bridge to the Extreme.

The Express is actually in the hallway otherwise I would have connected it to the stereo. I think I'll experiment with the location and strength of the connection. I could get another Express and plug it in closer to my stereo and see how that works too.

I was thinking of the powerline ethernet route before getting the Extreme but thought the Extreme would solve my problems when it didn't I was already committed.

Although I think it might worth selling the Extreme and Express and going the powerline ethernet route.

Thanks for all your advice on the SB3 issues. Until I get my wi fi issues resolved the SB3 is out of the question.

Eddue

bpa
2007-11-25, 04:46
Homeplug/powerline can also have difficulties with large houses / multiple circuits/multiple phases.

Homeplug cannot solve all my needs - whereas many connections runs at 30-70Mbits/sec - there are a few connections which don't work or only manage 1Mbit/sec.

In a room which has practically no signal from main router/AP, I use a pair of Homeplug adaptors to enable a second wireless AP to be connected directly to the router at a speed of 30Mbits/sec. The AP acts as a separate Wifi and the AP is close enough for SB3 / Jive to work.