PDA

View Full Version : corrupted double-linked list

thespaugh
2007-11-23, 16:03
I'm a bit of a linux noob. I update frequently to the latest nightly without any problem. Last night's update resulted in slimserver not starting on my ubuntu box. When typing "Slimserver status" I get the following response at he command prompt.

*** glibc detected *** corrupted double-linked list: 0x090ca070 ***
Aborted

I've uninstalled (purged) and reinstalled slimserver to no avail. I'm reluctant to uninstall glibc without first receiving guidance...is this the proper course of action? Any help in correcting this would be greatly appreciated.

thespaugh
2007-11-24, 12:37
Anyone???

Thanks

Mark Miksis
2007-11-24, 13:12
This is certainly not a common error. The message suggests memory corruption. Have you run a memory test on your system?

jku
2007-11-25, 00:43
I've uninstalled (purged) and reinstalled slimserver to no avail. I'm reluctant to uninstall glibc without first receiving guidance...is this the proper course of action? Any help in correcting this would be greatly appreciated.

I don't see that helping -- glibc is probably working fine. It's just making some extra checks and noticing that somehow a linked list seems to get corrupt. This can happen because of a hardware fault but also through programmer error -- the latter being more probable. The bug is quite probably not in glibc, but elsewhere.

Anything that triggers this message is a serious bug, but for debugging purposes you can bypass it:

MALLOC_CHECK_=0 slimserver
EDIT: whoops, MALLOCK_CHECK_ might actually not affect this check. Sorry for misleading if that's the case.

thespaugh
2007-11-25, 11:29
Based on recommendations I received in the Beta forum I completely purged, then deleted all related folders (Prefs, Plugins, etc.), rebooted and reinstalled yesterday. Apparently at least one other person was having a similar problem.

It now works.

Thanks!