PDA

View Full Version : Slimbox=ditching XM and playing music library?

ttraynor
2007-11-23, 13:21
It almost seems to good to be true: With this device I can consider ditching my XM subscription--finding suitable internet stations to replace--correct? How will fidelity compare to my Polk XM transmitter (I sense the XM signal is somehow compressed/altered sounding.....Polk lists signal to noise at 80 db.s)? Where do I find the highest fidelity internet stations? Will I run into rebuffering problems/gaps in music playback?

Secondly: I can play my computer music library (a combo of CD's and iTunes purchases) and play on home stereo while using the computer OR having it shut off--right?

I am comparing this to the Apple TV product which is more $$$ and requires a transmitter (I am not a video watcher...). Further, I have an IMac computer, version 10.4.11 and high speed internet connections.....

Thanks all.

Tom

toby10
2007-11-23, 13:44
It almost seems to good to be true: With this device I can consider ditching my XM subscription--finding suitable internet stations to replace--correct? How will fidelity compare to my Polk XM transmitter (I sense the XM signal is somehow compressed/altered sounding.....Polk lists signal to noise at 80 db.s)? Where do I find the highest fidelity internet stations? Will I run into rebuffering problems/gaps in music playback?

Secondly: I can play my computer music library (a combo of CD's and iTunes purchases) and play on home stereo while using the computer OR having it shut off--right?

I am comparing this to the Apple TV product which is more $$$ and requires a transmitter (I am not a video watcher...). Further, I have an IMac computer, version 10.4.11 and high speed internet connections.....

Thanks all.

Tom

I don't have XM or Sirius but both are compressed audio as is internet radio. Look for minimum 128k mp3 or wma feeds for best fidelity. Although some of the 96k mp3 and 64k mp3pro stations sound pretty good as well. Also, remember that XM is portable, Squeezebox is not.

CD's (compressed or not) and iTunes on home stereo yes, but not if computer is turned off. Only internet feeds are available to the Squeezebox if no computer connected and ON.

slimpy
2007-11-23, 18:49
Slimserver/Squeezebox cannot play iTunes downloads if they are DRM protected.

-s.

ttraynor
2007-11-24, 04:31
Slimserver/Squeezebox cannot play iTunes downloads if they are DRM protected.

-s.

"DRM protected"--So, is that the situation with basically all iTune downloads? That would be like 70% of my library--and growing. If that were the situation, I'd have to pass on this device. Wonder why the tech I spoke with didn't cover that....

toby10
2007-11-24, 06:20
"DRM protected"--So, is that the situation with basically all iTune downloads? That would be like 70% of my library--and growing. If that were the situation, I'd have to pass on this device. Wonder why the tech I spoke with didn't cover that....

Unfortunately, you will be "passing" on many devices. :(

A quick example: Squeezebox's biggest competitor Sonos is the same, it will not play DRM iTunes.

iTunes protection and unique encoding makes it difficult (and in many cases impossible) to play iTunes music on most any device that is not Apple. There are legal (but very tedious) and not-so-legal (quick conversion software) ways to remove the DRM from iTunes music. I have no actual experience with this and have only read about both methods as I have always avoided iTunes for these very reasons.