PDA

View Full Version : Network bridging question

gharris999
2007-11-23, 12:02
After having built a Mini-ITX server (http://www.ulverston.myzen.co.uk/mini-itx/index.htm) I decided to try and configure it for sitting in a stereo cabinet by directly connecting it using a cross-over cable to a SB3 setup in bridging mode. If I set a static IP address on the server, all works as one would expect: essentially, the SB3 operates as a wireless NIC for the server. I can use the SqueezeCenter web interface from other computers on my subnet, ssh into the server, etc.

However, if I try to have the server's wired nic configured via DHCP, it never gets an IP with this setup. Is there a reason why a DHCP request from the server wouldn't make it through the SB3's bridge? Is this a "chicken and egg" problem: the SB3 won't pass packets across the bridge until it has established it's client connection to the sever (which it can't if the server doesn't have an IP yet)?

Any ideas?

radish
2007-11-23, 12:10
I've seen various issues with DHCP over all kinds of wireless bridges, including the SB and TP. Generally I believe it to be dependent on the DHCP server (typically embedded in your router) - many of them don't actually implement the protocol properly and get confused by a bridge, thinking that there's actually only one device there. I've had success with some (but not all) of the Netgear routers I've tried, and am currently using an old D-Link which also seems OK. Many others don't work.

gharris999
2007-11-23, 12:58
So you don't think this is any kind of limitation of the SB3? I'm using a Netgear WGU624 wireless router. I've got a couple of other routers I can try...I'll see if that makes a difference. Thanks.