PDA

View Full Version : Mac newbie (previously used Slim on PC)

b33k34
2007-11-23, 05:08
I've just bought a new iMac running Leopard (previously being a PC household) and want to get Slim up and running again. Completely new to Mac so some things are rather confusing at the moment.

- which version of Slimserver is recommended (is 7.0 beta really stable enough - how far from release is it?)
- How do i install - is it a simple drag of the dmg to applications?
- Can i get Alien BBC working? the instructions are a bit unclear, especially as mplayer page http://www.x2systems.com/AlienBBC/mplayer.html says the download will not work with Intel macs.
- my mac goes to sleep quickly, which i like - how do i set it up to wake on lan and stay awake when i'm playing stuff on my squeezeboxen?

Anything else i should know that will be different?

danco
2007-11-23, 19:42
I'm travelling at present, and away from my own computer, but here's what I remember.

Installation. Double-click the dmg to open it, and you get an installer package that puts Slimserver in the preference panes, and also puts some support files in the library.

Wake on lan requires the computer to have a wired connection (to the SB or to a wireless access point). Wake on lan won't work if you use the wireless card in the computer.

I think the machine *should* stay awake when playing, but it doesn't always do so (maybe only problems with radio stations, I forget). You can get a little application called Jiggle that prevents sleep, and either run it manually or set a script one the SB to run it while music is playing. Details of that will have to wait till I get home.

Alien BBC. Find the main Mplayer page ( something.hu), download the version with the graphical user interface. Dig deep inside that (see the installation instructions) and you find a suitable version of the actual mplayer file. Note that you have to "select package contents" TWICE, not just once. Again, more later if needed.

b33k34
2007-11-24, 05:33
thanks for that. i've installed 7 and it looks very impressive so far - really responsive on the players and the new interface is great (and again, responsive). This really feels much more like an application running on the same machine now whereas the web interface used to feel like it was talking to a server on the other side of the world sometimes.

I can't work out where to put plugins yet however. Any advice?

b33k34
2007-11-29, 02:41
anyone?
anyone?
Bueler?
Bueler?

morris_minor
2007-11-29, 12:30
Plugins go in the Plugin Folder (natch!) which you'll find in

<Username>/Library/SlimDevices

Welcome to the wonderful world of Macs!

Bob

b33k34
2007-11-29, 15:17
I don't have one of those at the moment so i presume i create one.

Plugin plugin Plugins plugins or does it not matter?

WhaleOil
2007-11-29, 16:48
Hi

I think you are about to run into a problem with plugins using SC7.0 based upon morris-minor's advice. As you have found, the folder that he pointed you to is not present at the moment on SC7.0. Simply recreating it does not seem to work (at least for me).

I am using SC7 at the moment on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and have got it working - you will find other threads in the 3rd Party Plugins directory about all of this. Sorry but I am not sure how to link directly to them, but you should be able to find them easily enough.

However, at this stage and as you are new to Macs, I would recommend using the latest nightly version of 6.5.5 instead of 7.0. This is very stable and although it does not look as nice it all works and all the instructions you will find for plugins work too.

For AlienBBC, I have installed the mplayer version from the AlienBBC site that is described as not working with Intel Macs and it seems to work fine. Maybe not as efficiently as a native intel version but still OK. At least worth a try if you cannot track down a native version following danco's instructions.

Best wishes

WhaleOil

mherger
2007-11-29, 16:58
> I think you are about to run into a problem with plugins using SC7.0
> based upon morris-minor's advice. As you have found, the folder that
> he pointed you to is not present at the moment on SC7.0. Simply
> recreating it does not seem to work (at least for me).

The correct path would be
Library/Application Support/SqueezeCenter/Plugins (which should be there right after the install).

> However, at this stage and as you are new to Macs, I would recommend
> using the latest nightly version of 6.5.5 instead of 7.0.

I'd say 7.0 is close to as stable as 6.5.5. If you encounter serious problems, please report them so we can fix them asap.

Michael

b33k34
2007-12-02, 12:20
7.0 seems really good - responsiveness is hugely improved from any other version i've used. Drag and drop within a playlist doesn't seem to work very well and i'm getting the odd problem when changing skin but clearing the browser cache seems to solve it.

plugins directory is where described!

b33k34
2007-12-02, 12:26
Ok, another basic mac os x question. How do i restart the server?

Eric Seaberg
2007-12-02, 18:04
Go to the APPLE menu and pull down to SYSTEM PREFERENCES and release. Double-click on the Slim icon and click on STOP. Once it stops, you can then click on START.