PDA

View Full Version : Installing Lame on mac to fix choppy sound problem

fly
2007-11-21, 23:04
After having ripped several cd's using itunes on MAC, using default FLAC encoding, I found the sound very choppy and distorted (I found bug report 4886 on this already, but I haven't tried their recommended fix yet to use FLAC -6 option, mainly coz I'm not sure how to implement it). Anyways, I got around this problem by changing itunes encoder, but when I was researching possible fixes, one mentioned changing the player bitrate settings in Player Settings - Audio - Bitrate Limiting.

When I tried to limit the bitrate, it told me LAME was not installed, so I went to http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php, downloaded the .dmg file, and dropped it into my Applications folder.

But when I try to limit the bitrate again, it still tells me LAME is not installed...

Does anyone have experience with this problem have any idea what I may be doing wrong installing LAME? Or if there is a better fix for my original problem?

thx!

morris_minor
2007-11-22, 02:29
FWIW I use a program called Max for ripping and encoding which works well for me.

Check out Max at http://www.sbooth.org/Max/

Cheers,
Bob

Eric Seaberg
2007-11-22, 11:10
After having ripped several cd's using itunes on MAC, using default FLAC encoding, I found the sound very choppy and distorted

First of all, there isn't a FLAC option in iTunes. Maybe you're thinking of ALAC (Apple Lossless, actually co-designed with Dolby Labs and others). If your network (wireless or otherwise) can't handle the traffic, the SPEED REQUIREMENT of any lossless format is HUGE. Unless your wireless network can supply bandwidth of almost 1Mbps, you're better off encoding to 320k AAC (which would be the upper end).

If you want to encode to FLAC you'll need to use another ripper, such as Max, but iTunes won't know what the files are and they won't transfer to your iPod if you have one.

fly
2007-11-22, 20:20
Hmmm, I am quite certain I saw FLAC, and I'm only using Itunes, so let me take a closer look tonite.

It was quite frustrating so I could be mistaken, but I'm still experimenting (and learning) how to get this to work best, and will report back with more information to confirm what may be behind the choppy sound.

First of all, there isn't a FLAC option in iTunes. Maybe you're thinking of ALAC (Apple Lossless, actually co-designed with Dolby Labs and others). If your network (wireless or otherwise) can't handle the traffic, the SPEED REQUIREMENT of any lossless format is HUGE. Unless your wireless network can supply bandwidth of almost 1Mbps, you're better off encoding to 320k AAC (which would be the upper end).

If you want to encode to FLAC you'll need to use another ripper, such as Max, but iTunes won't know what the files are and they won't transfer to your iPod if you have one.