PDA

View Full Version : Multiple PC's running slimserver

shellier17
2007-11-21, 10:52
I have an SB3 running wirelesly and 2 pcs which are also connected to it and are running slimserver. I have another pc with the slimserver software but cannot get it to connect to my current player. Just need some steps on how to get this new pc connected to the current player.

Cheers

JJZolx
2007-11-21, 11:05
I have an SB3 running wirelesly and 2 pcs which are also connected to it and are running slimserver. I have another pc with the slimserver software but cannot get it to connect to my current player. Just need some steps on how to get this new pc connected to the current player.

You'll have to do it from the player using the remote. Hold down the left arrow button until it pops out to the setup level. From there you should see "Connect to ..." in the menu. The first one you see will likely be the server that you're currently connected to. Scroll down and it should show you any other available servers.

If it doesn't show you the other server, you can still connect to it by scrolling down and going into "Set up networking". Right-arrow through the setup until you get to "Select a music source", then "Specify and IP address for your SlimServer". Enter the IP address of the other server.

shellier17
2007-11-21, 11:10
Thanks. i currently have it the SB3 running from a main desktop pc at the moment but i can also access it via a laptop withou changing any settings. it is another laptop i want to add but if i do what you have just said will it stop the other 2 pcs from accessing it?

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-21, 11:12
Other devices on the LAN can always access a running SS by http://<slimserver address>:9000.

But the question is, why do you want to do this (multiple SS installs?)

shellier17
2007-11-21, 17:51
sorry, the device is running a pub music system and i want a few other people to be able to access it via there laptops. so basically i just want it so it can run as it does but with access through 3 pc's

jeffmeh
2007-11-21, 19:09
sorry, the device is running a pub music system and i want a few other people to be able to access it via there laptops. so basically i just want it so it can run as it does but with access through 3 pc's

As Mark mentioned, you can have other computers on the network access a single SlimServer instance through the web interface, through http://<slimserver address>:9000.

shellier17
2007-11-22, 13:10
Have tried putting in the ip follwed by:9000 which i got from the machine as 192.168.0.4:9000 but it comes up with a blank page saying that it is unable to connect. Any ideas or am i doing something wrong?

Shaun

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-22, 13:14
On the machine running SS, list SS as a "trusted application" in your firewall settings.

shellier17
2007-11-22, 14:09
Have checked my firewall settings and it is already on the list of exceptions. If i enter the ip follwed by :9000 on the other 2 machines already running it sucessfully it comes up no problem but still no luck with the new one.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-23, 07:39
Which "new one" are you referring to? Is it running SlimServer and is it the only one you want running SlimServer? I'm confused.

Let's say the machine running SlimServer is at 192.168.0.4.

On any other machine, even if it is running SlimServer, if you enter in 192.168.0.4:9000 you will access SlimServer at 192.168.0.4, not the SlimServer that machine is running.

In order to access the LOCAL SlimServer (i.e. the machine itself) use localhost:9000 or 127.0.0.1:9000. I'm not entirely sure if entering <local IP address>:9000 will always bring it up. It does on mine, but it might depend on the HOSTS file, router setup, LAN setup etc.

Anyway, you see the confusion running multiple SlimServers causes. Run only one SlimServer. On any machine other than that one, access it using <SlimServer IP>:9000. On the SlimServer machine use localhost:9000 or 127.0.0.1:9000.