PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 2 starts playing on its own



qirex
2007-11-20, 16:08
I'm beginning to think my Squeezebox is haunted, it will occasionally begin playing without any input from the remote or the web front end.

This has been going on for a while but until last night it was simply an annoyance because it usually happened when I was out of the house or just in another room. Last night, however, blasts of drum & bass at both 1:30 and 4 in the morning convinced me it's time to diagnose this problem.

Slimserver 6.5.4
Server: Mac OS X 10.4.9
Squeezebox 2
no ports open to outside world

I haven't been able to find any other reports of this problem, any ideas?

Anoop M.
2007-11-21, 14:32
When this happens are you connected to SqueezeNetwork or your SlimServer?

qirex
2007-11-21, 22:28
slimserver

Also I am reasonably sure there's nobody on my network there shouldn't be. It's going from the standby state to playing.

bernt
2007-11-21, 23:55
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39171

qirex
2007-11-23, 18:24
I've deleted my prefs and it seems to have worked for now

qirex
2007-11-27, 11:11
Aaaand I got home from work last night and it was playing on its own again. It didn't happen again until I turned on the alarm function. Turning off the alarm function is not really an option because this thing is my alarm clock.

Is there somewhere I can look for a log?

I'm also experiencing random song skipping and songs stopping partway through playing and starting over.

NauticusLX
2007-11-28, 00:34
This happened to me about 11 months ago and the thread was almost famous for a while. The problem was never really resolved, and continues. 1st, if you have DSL web access, incoming phone calls will turn on the device if it's off, and vice versa, the same for outgoing phone calls. Even if the brightness is turned off, even that will turn on for about 15 seconds - this really spooked me the first time it happened. The filters on the phone lines don't help - I tried several brands. 2nd, make sure the volume of your stereo is turned all the way down so the music won't wake you. 3rd, this flaw makes the SB useless as an alarm clock, because of the false alarms.

Lastly, you're incorrect when you say "no ports open to the outside world", since your constant on net access is open to the outside world.

The problem is, the SB doesn't actually turn off, unless you unplug it.

Omer
2007-11-28, 03:17
I read this and past threads about SB starting up unexpectedly, and was reminded of a particular unexpected alarm I experienced many years ago.

I used to have an alarm clock radio on my bedside and typically woke up by having the radio turn on.
I was living in Israel at the time, and one morning the radio wakes me up as usual
and I hear a radio announcer speaking in an extremely urgent and hurried tone:
"... our planes our attacking in waves ... heavy fighting is taking place in the Golan Heights... Sinai ... "
So I jump out of bed and a million things rush through my mind.
I'm running through my apartment trying to figure out where I placed my army boots
which I haven't seen since my last reserve duty,
and at the same time I'm stunned my army reserve unit has not called me up for service during the night,
and it's so strange that no one from my family or friends called me up while all this was going on.
Then a few seconds later a different announcer comes up on the radio and says in a leisurely pace:
"this was a repeat recording of some of the voices we broadcasted x years ago this day"

It was October 6, an anniversary of the Yom Kippur war

mflint
2007-11-28, 07:35
Strange... this happened to me last night (for the first time).

There I was, quietly hacking Ruby On Rails at 10:30pm, and started to hear Scissor Sisters drifting my way from the kitchen.

Spooky...

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-28, 08:45
1st, if you have DSL web access, incoming phone calls will turn on the device if it's off, and vice versa, the same for outgoing phone calls.

Your wording implies this is a universal problem affecting all users. It certainly has never been an issue for me and I believe it's not just me, the forum would be inundated if it was a universal issue.

Are you using cordless phones?

Robin Bowes
2007-11-28, 13:18
NauticusLX wrote:
> This happened to me about 11 months ago and the thread was almost
> famous for a while. The problem was never really resolved, and
> continues.

> 1st, if you have DSL web access, incoming phone calls will turn on
> the device if it's off, and vice versa, the same for outgoing phone
> calls. Even if the brightness is turned off, even that will turn on
> for about 15 seconds - this really spooked me the first time it
> happened. The filters on the phone lines don't help - I tried several
> brands.

Wrong. This is specific to your setup. Doesn't happen for me.

> 2nd, make sure the volume of your stereo is turned all the way down
> so the music won't wake you.

Huh?

> 3rd, this flaw makes the SB useless as an alarm clock, because of the
> false alarms.

See (1)

> Lastly, you're incorrect when you say "no ports open to the outside
> world", since your constant on net access is open to the outside
> world.

Not for incoming connections it isn't.

> The problem is, the SB doesn't actually turn off, unless you unplug
> it.

This is not a "problem".

R.

qirex
2007-11-28, 13:47
This happened to me about 11 months ago and the thread was almost famous for a while. The problem was never really resolved, and continues. 1st, if you have DSL web access, incoming phone calls will turn on the device if it's off, and vice versa, the same for outgoing phone calls. Even if the brightness is turned off, even that will turn on for about 15 seconds - this really spooked me the first time it happened. The filters on the phone lines don't help - I tried several brands. 2nd, make sure the volume of your stereo is turned all the way down so the music won't wake you. 3rd, this flaw makes the SB useless as an alarm clock, because of the false alarms.

Lastly, you're incorrect when you say "no ports open to the outside world", since your constant on net access is open to the outside world.
I don't have DSL, I have a cable modem. I don't even have a land line.

Also I have my firewall configured very carefully and there are no open inbound ports on my home connection open. This has happened over both wired and wireless connections.

This problem is becoming increasingly frustrating, it happened again twice last night and there hasn't been a single solution proposed. This is the only piece of consumer electronics I've owned that has become less stable since I bought it.

NauticusLX
2007-11-28, 22:12
One of the Slim Devices techs actually made a bug fix that was incorporated into the subsequent firmware upgrade, which allowed for multiple brightness settings. But the problem still occurred for me. I think that sometimes the Slim Devices servers send out a signal, that's how it was explained by Slim Devices about last January.

The issue with the phone interference is independent of DSL/cable internet, or brand of cordless phone, or brand of phone line filters. Been there done that - it's something I live with. I'm not even looking for a fix at this point.

Bottom line: the display set to 0 brightness comes on if the phone rings, and the stream is interrupted if I make or receive a call. It's not set up in a way that's not intended, so don't say "there's something wrong with my setup" because nothing's wrong - other than these quirks my setup works fine.

Ben Sandee
2007-11-28, 22:33
On Nov 28, 2007 11:12 PM, NauticusLX <
NauticusLX.30snmz1196313301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Bottom line: the display set to 0 brightness comes on if the phone
> rings, and the stream is interrupted if I make or receive a call. It's
> not set up in a way that's not intended, so don't say "there's something
> wrong with my setup" because nothing's wrong - other than these quirks
> my setup works fine.


There's something wrong with your setup.

Ben

Robin Bowes
2007-11-29, 02:45
NauticusLX wrote:
>
> Bottom line: the display set to 0 brightness comes on if the phone
> rings, and the stream is interrupted if I make or receive a call. It's
> not set up in a way that's not intended, so don't say "there's something
> wrong with my setup" because nothing's wrong - other than these quirks
> my setup works fine.

I agree with Ben. There is no way at all that you should or would get
interference between incoming phone calls and an ethernet device on a
standard (A)DSL setup, with broadband over a phone line.

There is something else at play here.

R.

oreillymj
2007-11-29, 03:34
It certainly has never been an issue for me and I believe it's not just me, the forum would be inundated if it was a universal issue.

Mark,

You're wrong about this. I have raised this issue at least 3 times on these forums and it has been quietly ignored. There is a bug somewhere in Slimserver/Squeezecentre that was introduced somewhere in June/July 2006 timeframe.

I reported coming home from being away for 3 days to find music playing in my house back then. I've been woken up at all hours of the night.

At first it was thought to be caused by a web-spider.
To rule that out, I disabled all port forwarding to Slim related ports and added firewall rules to my Kerio personal firewall blocking internet access to Slim related processes.

Still the issue occurs. It's hard to log a bug because

a) It's so intermittent. It could be weeks/months between occurrences.

b) Everyone's network is different to it's hard to know what's relevant.

c) It's difficult to now what logging might capture this. Also current SC7 logs don't have timestamps to match events to the time they occurred.

Robin Bowes
2007-11-29, 03:43
oreillymj wrote:
>> It certainly has never been an issue for me and I believe it's not just
>> me, the forum would be inundated if it was a universal issue.
>
> Mark,
>
> You're wrong about this. I have raised this issue at least 3 times on
> these forums and it has been quietly ignored. There is a bug somewhere
> in Slimserver/Squeezecentre that was introduced somewhere in June/July
> 2006 timeframe.
>
> I reported coming home from being away for 3 days to find music playing
> in my house back then. I've been woken up at all hours of the night.
>
> At first it was thought to be caused by a web-spider.
> To rule that out, I disabled all port forwarding to Slim related ports
> and added firewall rules to my Kerio personal firewall blocking
> internet access to Slim related processes.
>
> Still the issue occurs. It's hard to log a bug because
>
> a) It's so intermittent. It could be weeks/months between occurrences.
>
> b) Everyone's network is different to it's hard to know what's
> relevant.
>
> c) It's difficult to now what logging might capture this. Also current
> SC7 logs don't have timestamps to match events to the time they
> occurred.

Just to be clear - I've also experienced the
SB-starts-playing-spontaneously problem. As oreillymj says, it's
practically impossible to diagnose because it is intermittent and
sporadic. It hasn't happened for me for some time.

I wonder if it is related to the "Resume on power on" functionality? If
for some reason SS/SC thinks that a connected device has just powered on
and the "Resume on power on" setting is enabled then it will start playing.

R.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-29, 08:52
What I meant by "universal" problem was that it affected absolutely everybody which was NauticusLX's implication.

Perhaps it doesn't only affect just him then (and I have read reports of this with a fair amount of others), but it certainly isn't an issue for absolutely everyone on this forum.

oreillymj
2007-11-29, 16:00
sorry Mark - got wrong end of stick.
ok, I know this will be a difficult one to resolve but a bug should be opened/re-opened.

NauticusLX
2007-12-01, 16:31
Mark, I never implied the problem was universal, but that's a moot point. A problem doesn't need to be universal in order for it to be addressed. The incidence of any problem usually exceeds those who log a complaint, so based on the number of complaints voiced in various threads on these forums, it can be deduced that the problem is relatively widespread - it simply isn't observed.

Many wouldn't "observe" this particular problem because of where they locate the SB, or those who turn off their stereo when they're not in. In my case, the SB display is in a direct line of sight from my bed (which I estimate would put me in the minority), so even thou my speakers are turned off at night, I'm more prone to notice the display that suddenly turns on.

And many people never turn off their SB, in which case "mysteriously turning on" simply wouldn't be an issue. And those who don't keep track of when they turn their SB on and off obviously aren't going to "observe" this on/off discrepancy. In fact, the issue could be happening many more times than the times I happened to notice. Which leads me to conclude that the problem is, in fact, universal, just not universally observed.

Mark Lanctot
2007-12-02, 15:57
Which leads me to conclude that the problem is, in fact, universal, just not universally observed.

You say you didn't imply it before, but now you are outright saying it. And you are wrong. My SB is 2 feet from my head, there's an amp connected to it, I'm a light sleeper (it certainly wakes me up every morning as it's supposed to) and it has never done this once in 18 months. My Transporter is the same, it turns on my receiver using IRBlaster (but is not configured to turn it off) and if it turned on when I wasn't watching my receiver would stay on. Universal means every single one ever made, and this is not the case.

You don't seem to be the only one with this issue, however, to state that it MUST be a universal issue because you think so is ridiculous.

Yes, it's hard to diagnose and it's not reproducible on command, which makes it extremely difficult to fix because no one knows what causes it.

Maybe you should threaten to sue again. That sure worked last time. (Actually it did, Andy was nice enough to make very quick changes but you complained anyway.)

NauticusLX
2007-12-02, 23:10
There's no point in being argumentative. It's an ongoing problem with some SB users.

qirex
2007-12-05, 20:36
I tried one new thing which was disabling all sleep functions on my mini, it's still starting on its own.

Is there any kind of verbose logging I can enable to try to figure this out?

qirex
2007-12-14, 00:16
Update, for the last 4 days I've been leaving the squeezebox "powered on" rather than on standby and the problem hasn't happened since.