PDA

View Full Version : SS on OS X - how does it run?

cybervision_
2007-11-20, 13:13
Well, Vista is killing my PC-experience and I am missing OS X - so I am about to sell my PC and get a new iMac. And a question arose: How is Slimserver running on OS X (Leopard)? Will it be just as swift and stable as on my PC.

Are there any other vices I have to consider when getting a Mac. (SS and SB3-wise that is)

Help appreciated!

hashref
2007-11-20, 13:48
What do you plan on doing with your old PC? (err, is it worth much cash if you sell?) I was in a similar situation and ended up stripping out most of the hardware and setup Ubuntu with SlimServer on it. Now this box just sits in my basement and if I ever need to access it I just use VNC to remote in. I've now ended up with nice file/music server (soon to be skype server as well) and have noticed much quicker response when browsing the menus on my 3 squeeze boxes. I've also had no crashing when creating HUGE playlists as I did when SlimServer was running on XP. Your new iMac would also be able to go to sleep without effecting access to your music.

cybervision_
2007-11-20, 14:41
Well, it is "state-of-the-art" and I think it will sell for an ok price. A iMac will be a downgrade hardware-wise, but I don`t game much anymore - mostly photography and lite-web-design.

westcoastman
2007-11-20, 21:02
I don't know about Leopard but it's running fine on my G5 iMac (Tiger 10.4.11) using SlimServer pointing to my Apple lossless 100GB collection on an external firewire drive. The new Intel iMacs are almost 50% faster. As for stability...I could not be more pleased.

cybervision_
2007-11-21, 13:36
Thank you for you reply!

Eric Seaberg
2007-11-22, 11:18
I bought a refurbished Mac MINI and an external 500GB drive for my server. It sits in a closet with nothing more than power and a CAT-5 cable attached and just works. I access it using Timbuktu Pro (you can remotely connect using Leopard now... they kinda stole the concept from Timbuktu).

Anyway, it works great... has been on without issue for 13-months, never powering off, and does what I want it to do.

To add files (rip) to the library, I mount the external 500GB drive via the network to me G5, rip using iTunes ALAC, and have SlimServer re-scan. It all works....

googdot
2007-11-22, 16:23
I bought a refurbished Mac MINI and an external 500GB drive for my server. It sits in a closet with nothing more than power and a CAT-5 cable attached and just works. I access it using Timbuktu Pro (you can remotely connect using Leopard now... they kinda stole the concept from Timbuktu).

Anyway, it works great... has been on without issue for 13-months, never powering off, and does what I want it to do.

To add files (rip) to the library, I mount the external 500GB drive via the network to me G5, rip using iTunes ALAC, and have SlimServer re-scan. It all works....

I'm with Eric - I have a very similar setup and use a stock G4 1.25GHz mac mini as my server which i picked up second hand...its plenty good enough to run SC7 without issue. Been going over a year and a half now 24/7 without issue :)