PDA

View Full Version : PlaysForSure DRM support

y360
2007-11-20, 08:26
Now that Sonos announced Napster integration, supporting MS PlaysForSure DRM becomes a more pressing issue.
I hope that adding a DRM to the firmware is feasible with the current hardware. I may be mistaken, but I vaguely remember a forum thread where it was claimed that firmware size is reaching the SB hardware limit ?

CatBus
2007-11-20, 09:25
While I don't have any interest in PlaysForSure (sic) myself, I also wonder about the future of Squeezebox firmwares, when I've heard the same thing about getting a little tight on room.

Here's my thought and I'd love to hear feedback from a SlimDevices person. I assume a lot of the "room" in the firmware is taken up by decoders. I also assume that most users only actually need one or two decoders--the problem is that every user needs a DIFFERENT one or two decoders.

So...what about a codec-free firmware with codec plugins? SlimServer would know which codecs you needed after scanning your system (plus MP3/WMA for web streams). An advanced user could select extra codecs if they listened to the odd OGG stream, etc. Or even just have multiple swappable firmwares: fw-open, fw-ms, and fw-apple.

Not that any of this is necessary yet, but I could see it getting that way.

jeffmc
2007-11-20, 10:27
Now that Sonos announced Napster integration, supporting MS PlaysForSure DRM becomes a more pressing issue.
I hope that adding a DRM to the firmware is feasible with the current hardware. I may be mistaken, but I vaguely remember a forum thread where it was claimed that firmware size is reaching the SB hardware limit ?

What makes you think that PlayforSure support is in the Sonos? Because they have Napster? They are streaming, so it is probably an encrypted stream, not a DRM. Big difference.

4mula1
2007-11-20, 11:29

Go back and look at a previous thread you started. It looks like it's coming, but not until after SC7.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=243835#post243835

Ben Sandee
2007-11-20, 11:46
On Nov 20, 2007 9:26 AM, y360
<y360.30cs3z1195572601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Now that Sonos announced Napster integration, supporting MS PlaysForSure
> DRM becomes a more pressing issue.

I really hope Logitech doesn't spend any time on PlaysForSure -- MS
themselves don't even support it on their flagship media player
(Zune).

Ben

mflint
2007-11-22, 02:37
If ever there was were an award for the most inappropriate name given to a piece of technology, "PlaysForSure" would surely win.

(But both "Vista" and "Excel" would probably be contenders too)

M