PDA

View Full Version : Each new version of slimserver seems worse...



gdg
2007-11-19, 21:49
Now I can't even delete a playlist.
This is just bull. What is the problem with this company? Slimserver started as a barely functional way to organize one's music and it's getting worse every time a new version comes out. How is it possible that one can't delete and artist or playlist directly?

Ben Sandee
2007-11-19, 22:00
On Nov 19, 2007 10:49 PM, gdg
<gdg.30byhb1195534201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
Slimserver
> started as a barely functional way to organize one's music

Wrong. It started as a barely functional way to play one's music.
Get your facts straight before you rant. And hey, we all have to
start somewhere.

Ben

gdg
2007-11-19, 22:25
Since when was opinion fact you pinhead. Get YOUR facts straight. I've been using the Squeezebox for almost 3 years and am well aquainted with what it does and doesn't do. The biggest beef people had with the first versions of Slimserver was that it wasn't as good as other music "organizers" (which I didn't bother with because I was mainly interested in the streaming functionality of the Squeezebox and anything else was out of the question).

BTW You can't delete the playlist if it was created somewhere else.

snarlydwarf
2007-11-19, 22:48
BTW You can't delete the playlist if it was created somewhere else.

Sounds like a permissions issue.

You should fix that.

haunyack
2007-11-19, 22:52
Sounds like a permissions issue.

You should fix that.
Or, have a pint and relax as we all have learned to do over the years.
btw...
Happy doodles!
Snarlydwarf... who was that - Jim Spaggs?


you pinhead..That goes far here -
Don't forget about tomorrow when you think you may have something worth posting and expect someone to actually respect your point.

...I've been using the Squeezebox for almost 3 years .
So what!
Play the music and ... <delete>
Or do what I do - go in the bathroom and turn on the shower, faucets, block the door, flush the (toilet,boudoir) and scream at the top of your lungs...(don't spill the pint) until it feels better.
It's a work in progress.
Cheers!

.

seanadams
2007-11-20, 00:21
gdg,

Sorry to hear about your frustration, but the fact is that SlimServer has never been intended to "organize" your music. Indeed, the software deliberately avoids modifying any music files at all on your disk, and this has been a conscious design principle since version 1.0.

We chose to focus on playback only. There are lots of tools for organizing your music, fixing tags, and so on.

If you want us to add features to modify/edit/organize your music collection, that is a debate that could be reopened, and I will readily concede that there are some interesting reasons why SlimServer could potentially become a fantastic tool for that purpose. However, the incendiary manner in which you've started this thread is not a good start.

Sean

gdg
2007-11-20, 03:36
So what!
Play the music and shut the f**k up (my bad bro)...not pc but wtf.
Or do what I do - go in the bathroom and turn on the shower, faucets, block the door, flush the (toilet,boudoir) and scream at the top of your lungs...(don't spill the pint) until it feels better.
It's a work in progress.
Cheers!

.

So what? I know what the software does and and what it used to do. Are you to stupid to understand that simple point to turn it into some kind of bragging? BTW... FU too.

Speed
2007-11-20, 04:17
If you don't like it then use something else.

gorman
2007-11-20, 04:36
Indeed, the software deliberately avoids modifying any music files at all on your disk, and this has been a conscious design principle since version 1.0.One that should receive more praise. So get some from me: that's a wise decision! :D

msherman
2007-11-20, 06:54
gdg wrote:
> Now I can't even delete a playlist.
> This is just bull. What is the problem with this company? Slimserver
> started as a barely functional way to organize one's music and it's
> getting worse every time a new version comes out. How is it possible
> that one can't delete and artist or playlist directly?

Why on earth haven't you just ebayed your squeezebox and washed your
hands of it by now?

- Marc

schatzy
2007-11-20, 12:20
gdg,

Maybe you should apologize to the very nice folks here. You and a few others are the ones that make this forum unbearable to read at times.

Also as a "Senior Member" of these forums you should know better than to be so rude.

I have only had my Squeezebox for 3 months and even I know that they are not designed to "ORGANIZE" the music, but be used as a device to playback the music no matter how it is organized.

As to your question I have no problem deleting playlists using 6.5.4 so maybe you should go back to the drawing board and rephraze your attitude and question and then just maybe I will post the answer to your question.

4mula1
2007-11-20, 16:48
How are you trying to delete the playlist? From the web interface? Which skin?

tonyptony
2007-11-20, 18:40
Sorry to hear about your frustration, but the fact is that SlimServer has never been intended to "organize" your music. Indeed, the software deliberately avoids modifying any music files at all on your disk, and this has been a conscious design principle since version 1.0.

We chose to focus on playback only. There are lots of tools for organizing your music, fixing tags, and so on.

Add me to the list of people who thank you for doing just that. I have plenty of other tools that do a great job at these other things. I'm on board with wanting Slimserver / Squeezecenter to just control my music selection and playback as well as possible.

brucegrr
2007-11-20, 19:27
This is certainly a thread illustrating "how not to get help" :)

In some forums I have participated in, the original poster would have been roasted alive. Folks on these forums are pretty mellow, all in all.

I view slimserver as a work in progress (as all software is) It is not perfect but it ain't bad either :)

The Squeezebox has been the single best piece of technology I have bought in recent years. It has truly changed how we listen to music.

Keep up the good work.

Ron F.
2007-11-20, 19:59
People,

I certainly have become frustrated myself at times with running Slimserver, but this forum has been fantastic. It is not like other forums, and it is important to treat everyone else you meet here as if they are someone that you would like to invite over to sit on your couch and listen to your new Dave Mason CD with you, or whatever you just got in the mail.

Frustration is understandable, but the use of bad language is really bad form here.

-Ron

tyler_durden
2007-11-20, 21:51
Why don't you guys take this to usenet, where it belongs?

TD