PDA

View Full Version : enabling IPv^

KeyzerSuze
2007-11-19, 14:58
Hi

I am new user to slimserver, one thing i noticed is that it listens on the 0.0.0.0, ipv4 listen addresses. I was wondering if there has been any discussion about changing it to listen on the ::, ipv6 listen address.

There is this module which seems to be a drop in replacement for IO::Socket::INET
http://search.cpan.org/~mondejar/IO-Socket-INET6-2.51/INET6.pm =>
IO::Socket::INET6.

something like this

+sub io_socket_inet46 {
+ # See if IPv6 is available and use if it is
+ if (eval{require IO::Socket::INET6}){
+ import IO::Socket::INET6;
+ return IO::Socket::INET6->new(@_);
+ }
+ else {
+ return IO::Socket::INET->new(@_);
+ }
+}
+

This was put together Mark Hindley <mark@hindley.org.uk>, when i brought the same ipv6 v's ipv4 problem (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=447993)

snarlydwarf
2007-11-19, 15:44
Since the SB doesn't speak IP6, I don't see what the advantage is...

KeyzerSuze
2007-11-20, 14:11
Yeah I realise the sb doesn't but the server that slimserver is running on might. For example in my setup I run predominately ipv6 internally (and at a few other sites), not wanting to start a flame war about the ipv5 v's ipv4, it seems like a small (wish list) bug fix.

I haven't done any perl programming in a while, but I can have a look through and try and make up a patch set, but thought I would broach it here first.

edit > what I was getting at is that web access to the slimserver can be done via ipv6

snarlydwarf
2007-11-20, 14:27
edit > what I was getting at is that web access to the slimserver can be done via ipv6

I seem to not understand the benefit of this...

You are going to have to have ip4 enabled on the server or the SB won't work. Odds are any system with a web browser is going to have IP4 enabled as well...

Where is the benefit?

KeyzerSuze
2007-11-20, 15:29
Okay, maybe my setup is not standard, but I have a slimserver installed on my linux box with all my music, I have ipv4 and ipv6 installed on here, my internal DNS is setup for A and AAAA records. I talk to the slimserver with a browser from somewhere else on the network, I have to create another dns entry that only has an ipv4 address to talk tot he slimserver. Where as if the slimserver listened on ipv6 it could handle ipv4 and ipv6. The mentioned module seems to be a drop in replacement, some name lookup functions would have to change but, I am guessing this is isolated to a few modules.

so this would mean I talk ipv6 from the browser to the slimserver (my SB is in my babies room so I would rather do this remotely), the slimserver talks to the SB via ipv4.

Dan Sully
2007-11-20, 17:29
* snarlydwarf shaped the electrons to say...

>I seem to not understand the benefit of this...
>
>You are going to have to have ip4 enabled on the server or the SB won't
>work. Odds are any system with a web browser is going to have IP4
>enabled as well...
>
>Where is the benefit?

Agreed. I will personally flog anyone that even thinks about committing a
change to "rectify" this. And you won't like it.

-D
--
<dsully> please describe web 2.0 to me in 2 sentences or less.
<jwb> you make all the content. they keep all the revenue.

KeyzerSuze
2007-11-20, 21:00
* snarlydwarf shaped the electrons to say...

>I seem to not understand the benefit of this...
>
>You are going to have to have ip4 enabled on the server or the SB won't
>work. Odds are any system with a web browser is going to have IP4
>enabled as well...
>
>Where is the benefit?

Agreed. I will personally flog anyone that even thinks about committing a
change to "rectify" this. And you won't like it.

-D
--
<dsully> please describe web 2.0 to me in 2 sentences or less.
<jwb> you make all the content. they keep all the revenue.

I am new to the Slim server environment, but why the hostility to this ? I can understand not want to assign any time to doing this, whats the other issue ?

peterw
2007-11-20, 21:16
I am new to the Slim server environment, but why the hostility to this ? I can understand not want to assign any time to doing this, whats the other issue ?

Support? Why would Logitech complicate the code (*especially* adding code to look for & use a Perl module that does not ship with SqueezeCenter!) when that added complexity is not needed to make SqueezeCenter work with Squeezeboxes & Transporters?

Hostility? Well, at least the code is GPL so you not only *can* modify your local system, but you *may* modify it.

If you make changes that work for IPv6, I would encourage you to file an enhancement request on http://bugs.slimdevices.com and post a patch so that any other users who desire IPv6 support can take advantage of your patch and "vote" for the code change.

-Peter

dean
2007-11-21, 08:27
As somebody who doesn't know anything about IPv6, I'm interested to understand how you are using it at home and why you think it's important. They say that IPv6 is the future and I plan on being around in the future.

Current Squeezeboxen probably won't add IPv6 support (too difficult given the firmware), but future hardware and software clients might.

Given that 7.0 is around the corner, it's probably not an opportune time to add something like this to the release, but I'd like to encourage discussion and discourage flogging.

KeyzerSuze
2007-11-21, 12:13
Support? Why would Logitech complicate the code (*especially* adding code to look for & use a Perl module that does not ship with SqueezeCenter!) when that added complexity is not needed to make SqueezeCenter work with Squeezeboxes & Transporters?

True, again my ignorance in this area, I was only talking about the slimserver side of things and have no knowledge of how slimserver fits into SqueezeCenter (I will investigate)

Hostility? Well, at least the code is GPL so you not only *can* modify your local system, but you *may* modify it.

It just sounded like if any one made the effort they would be shot

If you make changes that work for IPv6, I would encourage you to file an enhancement request on http://bugs.slimdevices.com and post a patch so that any other users who desire IPv6 support can take advantage of your patch and "vote" for the code change.

-Peter
Cool, this I guess is more along the line of what I wanted to here, Thought I would broach it with the developers first see if somebody has done/thought about it already.

I haven't meant to offend any one and if I have apologies.

Alex

KeyzerSuze
2007-11-21, 12:28
As somebody who doesn't know anything about IPv6, I'm interested to understand how you are using it at home and why you think it's important. They say that IPv6 is the future and I plan on being around in the future.

Current Squeezeboxen probably won't add IPv6 support (too difficult given the firmware), but future hardware and software clients might.

Given that 7.0 is around the corner, it's probably not an opportune time to add something like this to the release, but I'd like to encourage discussion and discourage flogging.

It seems like more and more applications and os setup come with ipv6 enabled. I have an interest in networking, which is why I delve a bit more than the average user into ipv6. Some have argued/discussed (in slashdot and other online news sites) how prevalent ipv6 is in the wild. the US department of defence has mandated the switch over to ipv6 some time in the next couple of years. Alot of asian countries are using ipv6 because of their perceived ipv4 shortage.

But the above is more of marketing speak.

Why have I raised it here, in my situation I have ipv6 installed in a number of sites for business and other reasons. I try to have all the systems in my networks fully configured, in situations like my recent SuqeezeBox purchase, I liked the idea behind the Slim Server and I liked the idea that it was open source with an active community. When I dropped it into my environment and it had some problems. For me it was connecting to the slim server, I use a headless server to run my db/apache/etc and use pda's and any other wireless device around the house to select music and such. I ran into problems because my machine that has slimserver installed is setup for ipv6 dns names etc, I created a CNAME record for slimserver to the server, but this also included the AAAA records. Easy fix I created an A record and with all works.

From previous investigation I came across the http://search.cpan.org/~mondejar/IO-...-2.51/INET6.pm package with seems to be the drop in addition for inet which allows access to ipv6.

Admittedly there is some work in replacing the

IO::Socket::INET->new

calls to the INET6 and some changes around name to ip address calls, but essentially way the module is used is the same. There would have to be some changes around the host accept/deny stuff to account for ipv6 addressing.

if i get a chance i will look at doing it myself, creating a patch set. But it xmas time and I have a wedding to plan and a new baby so my computer time is limited

Alex

funkstar
2007-11-21, 12:47
True, again my ignorance in this area, I was only talking about the slimserver side of things and have no knowledge of how slimserver fits into SqueezeCenter (I will investigate)

SqueezeCenter = New name for SlimServer :)

As to why the change? It fits with the SqueezeBox and SqueezeNetwork naming

KeyzerSuze
2007-11-21, 13:20
SqueezeCenter = New name for SlimServer :)

As to why the change? It fits with the SqueezeBox and SqueezeNetwork naming
Thanks

Alex