PDA

View Full Version : Power consumption active speakers

Squid
2007-11-19, 08:30
In my quest for information on setting up a SB system at home, I was wondering whether I'd go for a separate amp + passive speakers, or for active speakers.
What I am now wondering: I assume that you'd just leave the active speakers on, right ? Do these consume power when being on without load, and if so, how much ?

SuperQ
2007-11-19, 11:54
Depends on the amp in the speakers. Some active speakers have auto-shutoff options.

mortslim
2007-11-20, 11:41
Assuming no auto-shutoff (most powered speakers don't have that feature), I also have wondered about this issue considering that I have zero education in electronics. I have asked a few different sources and gotten different answers. The consensus seems to be that if the apeaker is on, it consumes electricity and as you raise the volume of the music, the consumption goes up.

However to clarify what I have been told, even when no music is flowing but the speakers are on, you are consuming a lot of electricity. The speakers have no "standby" mode.

As to what is "a lot", that depends on how much you can afford to spend on your electric bill and how big your conscience is regarding global warming and saving the planet.

You can run outside to your meter with a stopwatch and time the difference with the speakers off, then on with no music, then on with music playing at a normal listening level and then decide to turn them off when not using.

I turn mine off by habit because I am obsessed with saving eletricity (you know like when you were a kid and your dad told you to turn off the lights when you leave a room).

I use Yamaha HS80M 8" Powered Studio Monitors and they sound GREAT!!! My brother is an audiophile and he says my speakers sound better than anything he has heard before.

If you don't have a mixer (get a Mackie if you can) then at least get an ART Cleanbox (not the Cleanbox II which is a totally different product) and use XLR cables.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-20, 12:29
However to clarify what I have been told, even when no music is flowing but the speakers are on, you are consuming a lot of electricity.

Kind of painting with a wide brush there...it depends on the amplifier.

If it's a class D, it's 80% - 95% efficient. And that's assuming it's amplifying a signal, if there's no signal it'll hardly consume anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier

Compare to a class A, which can double as a space heater even when idle.

Now - to be fair, I haven't heard of studio monitors powered by class D amplifiers.

peter
2007-11-20, 12:39
mortslim wrote:
> Assuming no auto-shutoff (most powered speakers don't have that
> feature), I also have wondered about this issue considering that I have
> zero education in electronics. I have asked a few different sources and
> gotten different answers. The consensus seems to be that if the apeaker
> is on, it consumes electricity and as you raise the volume of the music,
> the consumption goes up.
>
> However to clarify what I have been told, even when no music is flowing
> but the speakers are on, you are consuming a lot of electricity. The
> speakers have no "standby" mode.

There are Mackie monitors that have auto shut-off. According to a
colleague of mine that works well (he doesn't have an SB though).
Another alternative is the PowerSwitch II plugin that can be used to
turn things on and off with the help of a simple circuit:

http://www.gwendesign.com/slimserver/dev_hard_and_software.htm

Regards,
Peter