PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

KeyzerSuze
2007-11-18, 02:45
Hi

Finally got my sq going today, had to wait to download slimserver and get it installed, my isp download quota's rolled over last night.

Great box, saves me the hassle of putting together a cheap pc with sound etc etc.

My Questions, does the sb actually play ogg files natively, I notice whilst setting up slimserver their is a file containing the information on how to transcode from 1 format to another and ogg seems to be transcoding to mp3 ?

Also has any one done any work to make slim server work with postgres, already have one installed, so I though before I hack into the code best to ask if its been done before ?

My platform is debian (amd64), thanks to how ever put together the debian archive, make life so much more simpliar, is there any chance of getting the deb src file placed there as well ? I know the svn is there, but thought I would ask anyway. Is there any chance of setting up a repo key as well?

ceejay
2007-11-18, 05:26
does the sb actually play ogg files natively, I notice whilst setting up slimserver their is a file containing the information on how to transcode from 1 format to another and ogg seems to be transcoding to mp3 ?

Welcome!

Yes, the SB should be able to play Ogg files natively without transcoding on the server side.

See Server Settings - Filetypes in the web interface for a checklist for the different conversions you want to allow.

Ceejay

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-18, 14:15
Ogg playback seems to depend on the encoder. There seems to be a lot of versions of this encoder around and the more exotic encoders at higher bitrates seem to cause problems.

KeyzerSuze
2008-01-06, 22:00
Welcome!

Yes, the SB should be able to play Ogg files natively without transcoding on the server side.

See Server Settings - Filetypes in the web interface for a checklist for the different conversions you want to allow.

Ceejay

So does this mean I should turn off the ogg conversion then ? to allow the squeezebox to play ogg natively ?

mflint
2008-01-07, 02:53
does the sb actually play ogg files natively
The SB2 and SB3 do play ogg natively... but beware that scanning through the file isn't supported.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3809

KeyzerSuze
2008-01-07, 15:54
The SB2 and SB3 do play ogg natively... but beware that scanning through the file isn't supported.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3809

Oh interesting, because I am suffering from not being able to fast forward, which I presumes means I am playing ogg file natively (or is this a limitation even when the file is re encoded at the slimserver)

Alex

funkstar
2008-01-07, 16:26
Oh interesting, because I am suffering from not being able to fast forward, which I presumes means I am playing ogg file natively (or is this a limitation even when the file is re encoded at the slimserver)

Alex

It appears you can't scan through an Ogg file at all. I didn't know about this bug, but you will find the same thing if it is being decoded natively or on the server.