PDA

View Full Version : Erratic Wireless behaviour from SB3 - can you guys help?

gsrai
2007-11-17, 16:07
I have 2 squeezebox 3's and slimserver installed on a QNAPS NAS drive.

One SB is connected via wired and the other one is connected wirelessley in a room quite a few feet away with walls etc. I get a 96-100% signal with the wireless one because I have a range extender working really well in that room.

Problem is the sound wirelessly keeps breaking up and is pretty awful. I cant wire it but dont know where to look to stop the breaking up of the sound.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this as the SB3 was meant to my audio solution (its being used with a benchmark DAC1) and if I cant get this to work I may as well get rid of the whole kit.

I'm streaming FLAC files.

I've just found a few threads and it looks like wireless isn't really going to work.

hashref
2007-11-17, 18:30
Are you trying to synchronize them? I would suggest that you keep them on the same network device as well as connect in the same fashion. Maybe put the range extender in a room between the two SB's (or an attic) and have them both connect to the range extender...

My setup is a SB1, SB2, and SB3 scattered about the entire house. I recall having issues when synchronizing one or all of them at once. It turned out that they all played much nicer together when they are all connected to the same router/switch/ap in the same way. I use to have problems with one of my SB's cutting in and out while it used a cat5 cable. After following advice here I unplugged it and set it up to connect to my wireless network in the same way my other SB's do. I haven't had issues for well over a year now.

Fifer
2007-11-18, 03:18
One simple thing to try is to change wireless channels. You may be suffering interference from from a neighbouring network, a wireless phone or a microwave. Wireless does work. I've been running SD products wirelessly (using uncompressed files) since the SB1 without any problems.

amcluesent
2007-11-18, 04:24
wi-fi range extenders do half the achievable bandwidth. You could try the network test plugin on the SB3 and see what actual bandwidth is sustainable.

Otherwise, most laptop wi-fi clients have some sort of 'site survey' scanner to detect other SSIDs and the channels in use, which you should avoid.

If all else fails, could you try powerline ethernet adapters?

gsrai
2007-11-18, 05:09
Thanks for the tips guys.

There's one other network near me on a different channel an I did try the network plugs and they were worse than the wireless.

I thought the range extender would help and it has improved internet access as I can access the internet radio easily now.

I tried putting everything onto wireless this morning as suggested and that didn't change things (thanks for the thought though).

I have to admit I'm a tad scared to change the channel on the router as I cant remember how I set the range extender up (just remember the instructions from Belkin were useless and it struggled with WEP).

bfg58simon
2007-11-18, 10:16
Hi gsrai, I had a similar problem with x2 SB3's - tried all manner inc. firmware upgrade ,diff channels, diff pc running slimserver, etc. Finally turned off WEP and the SB's now work without any problem and have done for a couple of weeks.

gsrai
2007-11-18, 10:47
I have to admit I didn't think about turning WEP off but having said that I'm not sure I'd want to lose the security aspects for the rest of my network.

Thanks for the tip though :)

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-18, 13:38
So the wired one performs well but the wireless one doesn't?

What was the wireless signal strength without the range extender? I don't put too much faith in range extenders, they increase signal strength at the expense of bandwidth. You should still have enough bandwidth for FLACs though...

You say homeplugs didn't work?

Your Qnap is wired to your router, right? Can you place your router higher? (Remember, it's a radio transmitter, it needs elevation). Can you re-orient the antennas?

See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

gsrai
2007-11-18, 14:31
Yup the wired one is excellent but the wireless one isn't.

Pre range extender the signal strength was c.40% maybe 45% at best.

I had the same breaking up issue with homeplugs (I bought the Devolo ones) - it must be due to the fact we have had a house extension and part of the house has old wiring).

The router is on a desk standing vertically with the antenna also vertical so its probably 1m off the ground.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-18, 14:56
Any chance your house is using metal grid lath? That's a wifi-killer for sure, it makes your house one big Faraday cage. Stone walls will also kill wi-fi dead, it's hard to shoot electrons through rock.

Unfortunately if homeplugs also don't work it looks like you're out of options. Looks like the wireless extender boosted the signal but wasn't able to scrape much more bandwidth out of an already poor signal.

Can the antennas on either device be replaced with high-gain/directional ones?

gsrai
2007-11-18, 15:52
I tried high gain antennae before I bought the range extender and this had no effect.

Looks like I'm stuffed if I want to use FLAC.

Sounds stoopid but what is the relationship between strong signal and bandwidth - I had assumed a strong signal strength would improve bandwidth ???

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-18, 15:56
I'm not sure about strong signal vs. bandwidth in the conventional sense, i.e. router to SB, but with a range extender - you'll always get strong signal when the SB is near a range extender, but the range extender might not get a strong signal from the router.

However I have seen strong signals in hotels that couldn't pass more data than a dial-up connection and often just sat there at full signal, passing no data at all.

gsrai
2007-11-18, 15:58
That makes sense - its why I got the extender in the first place, maybe if I moved the extender closer to the router it would help.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-18, 16:00
It definitely couldn't hurt!

bpa
2007-11-18, 16:09
If you have a separate modem and router or a separate AP, you may be able to use the Homeplugs to move the router/AP to a better position for the problem SB3 and avoid the extender altogether.

I had to set up a 2nd AP using Homeplug because of Jive's poor wifi.

gsrai
2007-11-18, 16:16
It definitely couldn't hurt!

IT WORKED - I moved the extender to the kitchen (half way) and the signal strength dropped to 80% but all the drop outs stopped - you are a genius and if i ever meet you in real life I owe you a pint (at least) :)

It was your last comment that made sense, I hadn't considered the old crap in crap out scenario - if the extender cant get a good signal it cant give a good signal.

Only problem is I've sold my baby - my benchmark DAC1 as i had all but given up on getting the SB to work. So on the one hand I'm elated but on the other gutted - nothing is simple.

Once again, thanks a whole bucket load as I'm back on track!

I do lover forums!

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-19, 07:04
Excellent!

There must be something in your walls, you have a pretty wireless-hostile home there.

As for the pint, I won't say no - I'm in London.

London, Ontario, Canada that is. ;-)

gsrai
2007-11-19, 14:06
Excellent!

London, Ontario, Canada that is. ;-)

Oh - in that case have a virtual hug on me :) (in a manly kind of way, I'll stop digging now).

Thanks again fella !