PDA

View Full Version : Choose Player weirdness in recent firmwares

cliveb
2007-11-17, 03:38
Has anyone else noticed that if you leave the Jive handset switched on for a period (a few hours), that it crashes if you try to invoke "Choose Player"?

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6185

kdf
2007-11-17, 03:45
no. how many hours exactly??
have you kept up with svn?
factory resets after doing so?

-kdf

James
2007-11-17, 04:21
yes, mine just did it 10 minutes ago.
SVN & firmware were probably about 2 days old...

All updated now so we'll see what happens!

James

oreillymj
2007-11-17, 05:05
On my remote the Wireless signal indicator turns blue, when I try to switch players. It then hangs.

I believe that the blue signal icon is pretty recen and indicates that the remote has lost contact with the server.

But yeah, when I then reboot the player, I can change player no problem. It only when the remote has been left for some time that the problem occurs.

And I'm not sure how long, but 5-6 hours would definitely be long enough to reproduce.

oreillymj
2007-11-17, 06:36
My Jive (r923) just hung when I went to change players with the Blue signal indicator as before.

So it looks like 1.5hrs is enough to test the behaviour.

cliveb
2007-11-17, 09:06
OK, now things are getting spooky....

kdf suggested I update to r923, so I restarted SqueezeCenter to try and force it to look for updated firmware, but it didn't download anything new.

Then the handset crashed again, and when I rebooted it, it said there was an updated firmware, which I installed. The handset is now running r923, dated Sat Nov 17th 01:36:02 PST (which is 9am on 17th here in the UK). But there is not one single file in my SqueezeCenter folder dated later than 16th Nov. The Jive firmware file in SqueezeCenter is still r915.

Where did my handset get its updated firmware? (Cue the Twilight Zone music...)

PS. I've done a factory reset and will report back regarding the original problem that I reported about the Choose Player screen causing a crash.

MrC
2007-11-17, 10:10
Yup, happens frequently to our Jive unit. I've added my comments to the bug.

cliveb
2007-11-17, 10:10
PS. I've done a factory reset and will report back regarding the original problem that I reported about the Choose Player screen causing a crash.
As promised, here's what happened after I updated to r923 and did a factory reset:

1. Choose Player still crashes the handset. May I have the honour of naming this the "blue icon of death"? :-)

2. Leaving the handset alone for just 5 mins is now enough to provoke this crash. It is easily reproducable on my setup (SqueezeCenter running on Windows).

What logging can I switch on to get useful info about this for the developers?
I can connect in via SSH, but where in the file system are the logs kept?

EDIT - one final observation: if you're currently logged into Jive via SSH, then provoke a crash, the SSH session still responds and you can look around in the file system. So the basic OS is still running - it seems that it's just the Jive software that dies.

3. On a slightly different tack, a couple of irritating things about r923:

a). The home button produces a "double-beep" even when all sound effects are turned off. It sounds like the same sound effect used for navigation, except that the initial "click" is absent and the beep is repeated.

b). Pressing the home button when already on the home page goes to the Now Playing screen (but without the "double-beep" sound - although if the navigation sound effect is switched on, then you do get the standard "click-beep").

rtitmuss
2007-11-17, 15:51
1. Choose Player still crashes the handset. May I have the honour of naming this the "blue icon of death"? :-)

That is now fixed in r924, look out for it in tomorrow's nightly.

a). The home button produces a "double-beep" even when all sound effects are turned off.

Also fixed, but you'll need to disable the sound effects again.

b). Pressing the home button when already on the home page goes to the Now Playing screen

That works as designed. Do other people find this irritating?

slimpy
2007-11-17, 19:51
Not at all, I like it very much.
I really missed the now playing button from the IR remote.
The home button on the JHW is now sort of a hybrid home/now playing button.

-s.

cliveb
2007-11-18, 01:23
That is now fixed in r924, look out for it in tomorrow's nightly.
Excellent - many thanks for such a quick response! I look forward to trying out the next firmware release.

And on the subject of Jive firmware releases - can anyone answer my earlier query about where the handset got r923 from, given that it's not in the SqueezeCenter directory?

Has it always worked this way? Maybe it has and I just hadn't ever noticed. Given that if you're already on the home screen it's very simple to scroll to the Now Playing menu item, it strikes me as an unnecessary shortcut. But it's a minor quibble - it doesn't really bother me.

oreillymj
2007-11-18, 08:22
ok, so with r926, I no longer get the "blue icon of death", but I don't get the remote to completely change player either. The background changes and the title of the player appears at the top of the screen, but none of the menu items appear. So I can't even go back to the player that had been working.

So I'm still left with no option but to reboot before I can do anything.

oreillymj
2007-11-20, 04:05
I spoke too soon. I've tested this with the most recent fw available for download. Here's what I get when I attempt to switch control from the SB2 in the Kitchen to the SB3 in the Living Room.

1) The wireless signal indicator turns blue.
2) The remote says that it has lost contact with < name of Squeezecentre PC>
3) When I select "Try again" I get each of my physical players listed twice.

So I have

Kitchen
Kitchen
Living Room
Living Room * Selected.

When I pick the other Living Room from the list, the remote successfully changes player.

BTW -I have router in the top of the house, and an AP working in bridging mode providing a signal boost in the kitchen. The Jive network logging script indicates that the Jive can roam between the 2.

cliveb
2007-11-20, 05:07
BTW -I have router in the top of the house, and an AP working in bridging mode providing a signal boost in the kitchen. The Jive network logging script indicates that the Jive can roam between the 2.
Seems as if the complexity of your wireless setup might be a factor here.

My setup is very simple: everything is wired (ie. SB2 and Transporter are attached via ethernet). I have just one AP that is only used for talking to the Jive handset. For me, the Choose Player screen has worked flawlessly in r926, r930 and now r946.