PDA

View Full Version : Portable squeezebox with built in speakers?

interspectrum
2007-11-16, 20:57
Any chance now that Logitech owns Slim Devices that we might see a wifi boombox type squeeze box. I have a sb1 and sb2 around the house but would love a portable to move around to places where I don't have speakers and an amp setup. Perfect on the patio or in the garage. I would also love to have a alarm clock type product. I know that a the sqeezeboxes have alarm abilities but I would like something more convenient.

Right now I use my ipod speakers made by altec lansing. Its a large white tube with dock in the middle. This would be perfect if it was a squeezebox instead of an ipod dock.

SuperQ
2007-11-16, 22:42
I have an SB3 as a bedroom music system/alarm clock. I use a T-Amp and a pair of nice paradigm monitors mounted on the wall out of the way. I think it's much cleaner and sounds better to have the speakers elsewhere in the room. Perfect stereo imaging when I'm on the bed relaxing in the morning before getting up.

The boombox idea has been hashed over and over.. Maybe I'll pick up another T-Amp and build myself one.. or find and old 80's boombox and mod it up a bunch.

y360
2007-11-17, 02:04
Not quiet the same thing, but there is a new portable player on the market that has a wifi enabled Rhapsody client embedded into it.

http://www.amazon.com/ibiza-Rhapsody-H1A030BK-Wi-Fi-Player/dp/B000XRQ2Q6/

peter
2007-11-17, 02:52
SuperQ wrote:
> I have an SB3 as a bedroom music system/alarm clock. I use a T-Amp and
> a pair of nice paradigm monitors mounted on the wall out of the way. I
> think it's much cleaner and sounds better to have the speakers elsewhere
> in the room. Perfect stereo imaging when I'm on the bed relaxing in the
> morning before getting up.
>
> The boombox idea has been hashed over and over.. Maybe I'll pick up
> another T-Amp and build myself one.. or find and old 80's boombox and
> mod it up a bunch.
>

The Jive platform has an audio out feature. If it would duplicate the
iPod's connector(s) it could probably fit in the myriad iPod cradles...

regards,
Peter

kdf
2007-11-17, 02:55
On 17-Nov-07, at 1:52 AM, Peter wrote:

>
> The Jive platform has an audio out feature. If it would duplicate the
> iPod's connector(s) it could probably fit in the myriad iPod
> cradles...

yeah, and Logitech would spend every day in court thereafter.
don't be stupid. Its predatory out there. I have a Sansa E260
and while the connector is similar to the ipod, it's just different
enough to ensure no connection, lawsuits or usefulness.

You want Apple goodness, you will pay for it.

-kdf

peter
2007-11-17, 03:10
kdf wrote:
> On 17-Nov-07, at 1:52 AM, Peter wrote:
>
>
>> The Jive platform has an audio out feature. If it would duplicate the
>> iPod's connector(s) it could probably fit in the myriad iPod
>> cradles...
>>
>
> yeah, and Logitech would spend every day in court thereafter.
> don't be stupid. Its predatory out there. I have a Sansa E260
> and while the connector is similar to the ipod, it's just different
> enough to ensure no connection, lawsuits or usefulness.
>

Someone has to fight the good fight.
Logitech makes accessories that fit the iPod, why can't they make a
player that fits their own accessories?

> You want Apple goodness, you will pay for it.
>

Does Apple have wirelessly networked audio players?

Regards,
Peter

erland
2007-11-17, 04:10
Does Apple have wirelessly networked audio players?

AirPort Express with AirTunes, although I'm not sure how it compares with SlimServer.

I also believe iPod Touch and iPhone have some streaming abilities, I'm not sure if they can stream from iTunes without some hacking though.

bpa
2007-11-17, 04:13
I think Apple TV can also stream audio.

peter
2007-11-17, 07:23
erland wrote:
> Peter;243353 Wrote:
>
>> Does Apple have wirelessly networked audio players?
>>
>>
> AirPort Express with AirTunes, although I'm not sure how it compares
> with SlimServer.
>

I have an express lying around, I guess it could do.

> I also believe iPod Touch and iPhone have some streaming abilities, I'm
> not sure if they can stream from iTunes without some hacking though.
>

Not exactly turn key then...

Regards,
Peter

interspectrum
2007-11-17, 08:57
The whole point is to have a simple, fairly inexpensive, single unit that can be moved around and plugged in anywhere around the home.

I do understand that some sacrifice in sound quality will have to be made in order to make it affordable and small enough to be portable.

The ipod speaker box was only an example of size and portability. I don't expect anything to be ipod format compatible. Just a packaging example.

peter
2007-11-17, 11:10
interspectrum wrote:
> The whole point is to have a simple, fairly inexpensive, single unit
> that can be moved around and plugged in anywhere around the home.
>
> I do understand that some sacrifice in sound quality will have to be
> made in order to make it affordable and small enough to be portable.
>
> The ipod speaker box was only an example of size and portability. I
> don't expect anything to be ipod format compatible. Just a packaging
> example.
>

Yeah, I know, that was just my imagination running wild again... ;)

Regards,
Peter

bephillips
2007-11-17, 12:51
http://www.olsontribe.com/slimp3/

signor_rossi
2007-11-18, 06:49
Why not get the small powered speakers like the ones from Audioengine (they have a power outlet on the back for an Airport Express, probably SB PS fits to) and build a carry box for them and the SB? Just make the carry box so that SB is fixed and the speakers are easily snapped out of the holder, fixed speakers probably give some vibrations.

interspectrum
2007-11-18, 19:48
The portable slimp3 idea is what I am after, but less 1980's! I'm not planning to break dance in my parachute pants!

I don't see why something like this would be difficult. To save cost they could drop the digital outputs, or all outputs for that matter since this would not be a replacement for a full squeezebox. Also dropping the Burr/Brown DSPs should save some money as well.

I know some of our audio purists will hate this but a portable is never going to sound as good as powered speakers because it will have to have the cost of speakers plus the cost of the squeezebox hardware. Some compromises have to be made to make this thing affordable.

aubuti
2007-11-18, 20:38
The portable slimp3 idea is what I am after, but less 1980's! I'm not planning to break dance in my parachute pants!

I don't see why something like this would be difficult. To save cost they could drop the digital outputs, or all outputs for that matter since this would not be a replacement for a full squeezebox. Also dropping the Burr/Brown DSPs should save some money as well.

I know some of our audio purists will hate this but a portable is never going to sound as good as powered speakers because it will have to have the cost of speakers plus the cost of the squeezebox hardware. Some compromises have to be made to make this thing affordable.
The biggest cost of an SB is the VFD display, so if you want to push the cost down you'll need to do something about that.

If you perceive a lack of enthusiasm for your suggest, please don't attribute it all to audio purists. It's just that this topic comes up all the time on the forums -- do a search for "squeeze boombox" and you'll find a lot, including some pretty good DIY projects. Now with the Jive remote on the horizon (one hopes) the possibilities multiply.

iPhone
2007-11-19, 00:47

Very dangerous, walking around in parachute pants with your homemade SqueezeBoom on your shoulder and trying to hold onto that big sheet of cardboard for break dancing.

All joking aside, why would anybody need a portable self contained boom box SB3? You are still chained to the house, office network, or laptop. You canít take it camping or to the beach. I just donít see anybody taking an SB3 boom box to the beach with their $3000 MacBook Pro. Is the boom box going to be AC powered only as I think the Portable SLIMP3 was? If yes, why bother, you might as well have the better powered speakers if AC is available.

I just donít get all this about a portable SB3 with built in speakers. I guess Logitech does not either since they donít make one and never have! One, you are chained to a network or laptop because, unlike the iPod, you have no tunes onboard (another reason I do not get all the comparisons to all the iPod accessories). Hello, the iPod is self contained and only needs to be plugged into battery or AC powered speakers when not using headphones. Not true for the SB3. You need AC for the Squeezebox (or a healthy 5 volt battery) as well as a network connection or laptop before you need headphones or speakers. SB3 Boom Box just does not make any sense, at least to me.

If you want to be portable, try what I use. I found one of those house cleaning caddies that my speakers fit perfectly into (the kind with the handle in the center with a tray on each side and small boxes on each end of the handle forming a rectangle). Place powered speakers, SB3 with remote and PS into the caddie, then find an AC outlet within the range of your network, play music. Just a thought.

Robin Bowes
2007-11-19, 03:37
iPhone wrote:

> I just don’t get all this about a portable SB3 with built in speakers.

And then wrote:

> If you want to be portable, try what I use. I found one of those house
> cleaning caddies that my speakers fit perfectly into (the kind with the
> handle in the center with a tray on each side and small boxes on each
> end of the handle forming a rectangle). Place powered speakers, SB3
> with remote and PS into the caddie, then find an AC outlet within the
> range of your network, play music. Just a thought.

So, it seems that you *do* actually get it. So much so in fact that
you've come up with your own solution!

I've got several SBs and a Transporter, and I've also got a DAB radio. I
tend to listen to the radio a lot because it is portable. And by
portable, I mean I can move it between power points - it is not
battery-powered.

My point is that I'd love a portable squeeze player, for use round the
house.

R.

alZmtbr
2007-11-19, 05:25
This is what I use in the garden and basement: A Nokia770 connected to our iPod/Altec-Lansing travel system. Not audiophile, but good enough to work by.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-19, 08:06
Why couldn't the SqueezeBoomBox have a cache - an SD card slot, for example?

If no SD card were included, it would only very slightly increase hardware costs. Software-wise would be a bit more tricky, but the simplest would be to "present" the SD card as a mass-storage device on the network like any cheap all-in-one card reader (these are also cross-platform devices, they are all based on the same cheap chipsets). This would also mean no changes to SC are necessary to manage this "subset" library.

And as much as I love the VFD, it would be impractical in a battery-operated device and it's useless outdoors. Just go with an LCD or OLED.

So:

- no digital outputs (if you want them, get an SB)
- no analog outputs other than a headphone output (again, if you want analog outputs, get an SB)
- cheaper DAC (but then again, DAC chips don't alter the price much if they're installed in mass-produced devices)
- TriPath amp
- Logitech-sourced speaker drivers
- AM/FM (?)
- SD card slot
- LCD/OLED display rather than VFD
- Li-ion batteries included, automatically charge when on line power
- 802.11g, can play SC library when in range
- SD card cache presented as mass-storage device on network for adding music for remote playback
- compatibility with current SB remote, SB remote included
- compatibility with Jive remote, Jive remote NOT included

I really like the idea of the Jive remote as a portable playback device, but it's not a boombox and never will be.

iPhone
2007-11-19, 12:06
I've got several SBs and a Transporter, and I've also got a DAB radio. I
tend to listen to the radio a lot because it is portable. And by
portable, I mean I can move it between power points - it is not
battery-powered.

My point is that I'd love a portable squeeze player, for use round the
house.

R.

I am still taking the Whole Squeezebox with me to the garage or out on the deck where I have no HiFi System. It is the Squeezebox from the bedroom, not an extra additional boom box or extra SB3 just for moving. I am putting what I already have to good use and adding additional justification for having the second SB3. What I use to "move my Squeezebox around" is a Squeezebox and a very nice pair of powered speakers. Are they as nice as the Thiels? They are not, but they are better then anything that would ever be put in a Boom Box. I guess what I am driving at (and saying I don't understand) is it is so simple just to make what you already have a little easier to move! You have to have AC power and you have to be Ethernet wired or in WiFi coverage, why pay for something you don't need when the money can go toward good powered speakers.

Now I think I know why I donít get it. My thinking is if one loves all the things about the SB3 (and youíre tethered to AC and your network anyway), why would one want to bring it down to the level of a Boom Box or iPod when an SB3, caddie, and powered speakers are far superior! Does this only make sense to me? Sure I can agree that somebody might have a very specific need or application for an SB Boom Box, but it is only my opinion that there is not enough of a market to justify such a thing if they keep the DAC and current display (to costly for a Boom Box). Especially when one can do so much more with an SB3 and powered Speakers.

iPhone
2007-11-19, 12:23
So:

- no digital outputs (if you want them, get an SB)
- no analog outputs other than a headphone output (again, if you want analog outputs, get an SB)
- cheaper DAC (but then again, DAC chips don't alter the price much if they're installed in mass-produced devices)
- TriPath amp
- Logitech-sourced speaker drivers
- AM/FM (?)
- SD card slot
- LCD/OLED display rather than VFD
- Li-ion batteries included, automatically charge when on line power
- SD card cache presented as mass-storage device on network for adding music for remote playback

With a few variances and slight differences, are we not in general describing an iPod or Zune that with the addition of WiFi can just happen to use a server if it is in range? Again, in practice, wouldnít it be better to have an SB3 and powered speakers? Of course except for other then taking tunes portable without a network by using internal/external storage, but are we not back to it just being an iPod that most people already have?

If it is coming down to that, I would again prefer an SB3 with an external memory slot with the ability to play music from that external storage. If I were playing devil's advocate.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-19, 12:41
With a few variances and slight differences, are we not in general describing an iPod or Zune that with the addition of WiFi can just happen to use a server if it is in range? Again, in practice, wouldnít it be better to have an SB3 and powered speakers?

Not at all, the key is the built-in speakers and carry-able form factor.

External speakers with their additional wires and power supplies are really messy for this sort of application. That would be akin to dragging your home SB3 around with you, which is kind of klunky for going to the cottage or an outdoor BBQ, picnic or something - even for an alarm clock (which would also be an ideal application for this).

sander
2007-11-19, 14:30
Not at all, the key is the built-in speakers and carry-able form factor.

I would add optional remote! This is something I would really like. I have 2 offices (which can stream from PC/Mac) and the Living Room (Squeezebox) but other rooms (kitchen, bathroom, bedroom) don't need dedicated devices and definitely no more remotes. Still I would like to access the treasures on my Squeezecenter from time to time.

Something that's mildly portable, device + ac adapter, is what some of us are looking for so we can access the squeezecenter in any room we happen to be in, without too much effort.

I know there's a whole audiophile vibe in the Logitech/Slim way of thinking, but IHMO there are a lot of potential buyers who are more concerned about access than quality, and I know I'm one.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-20, 07:12
I would add optional remote!

I got ya covered...

- compatibility with current SB remote, SB remote included
- compatibility with Jive remote, Jive remote NOT included

It could very well use a basic "credit card"-sized remote like you see for in-car systems, possibly housed in a slot with a magnetic holder so you couldn't easily misplace it. If it used the current IR code set, regular SB remote compatibility would be built-in. And if it was controlled by SlimServer, at least when it was in WLAN range, Jive remote compatibility is also a given.

The same product could cover the "alarm clock" and "second bedroom system" markets. It would cover those areas where people are currently looking at powered bookshelf speakers. It would enable you to fully leverage SS/SC music library resources. SS/SC is there, might as well use it even for alarm clocks and areas where sound quality isn't paramount but convenience and portability is required.