PDA

View Full Version : SB3 - analog or digital output into AV amp?

digitaria
2007-11-16, 07:35
Hello all. SB3 newbie here. My SB3 will be connected to a Sony STR-DB930 AV Receiver, so I have a choice of analog RCA outputs from the SB3 or digital optical output which the AV amp can then deal with.

I know I can do some testing to decide, but which, in your opinion, is likely to give better sound quality?

TIA

Fifer
2007-11-16, 08:09
Hello all. SB3 newbie here. My SB3 will be connected to a Sony STR-DB930 AV Receiver, so I have a choice of analog RCA outputs from the SB3 or digital optical output which the AV amp can then deal with.

I know I can do some testing to decide, but which, in your opinion, is likely to give better sound quality?

TIA

If the Sony has a direct analogue pathway (and doesn't put analogue signals through an ADC prior to digital processing) then it depends on the relative qualities of the DACs involved. Listen and see if you prefer the Sony's DAC (using the SB Digital out) or the SB's DAC (using the SB's analogue out).

If however, the Sony doesn't have a direct analogue pathway, using the analogue outputs of the SB3 will involve two DACS and an ADC in the signal path which will almost certainly sound inferior to having just one DAC using the SB digital outputs.

iPhone
2007-11-16, 09:08
I know I can do some testing to decide, but which, in your opinion, is likely to give better sound quality? TIA

Testing is probably your best choice. After all, only you are the one that has to like what you hear. Use whichever one sounds best to you.

I do have one thought, if you like 5-speaker stereo or using your DSP effects then going digital would be the proper choice. This path would allow for single conversion instead of multiple conversion.

Another nice thing that the SB3 allows you to do is use both outputs simultaneously. Connect up the Toslink and connect the analog to an open input. If you like the analog better for True Stereo listening use the open input you chose for that listening and select your digital source for 5 channel stereo or DSP effects. Using the A/V Receiver gives you lots of choices, so do some listening and let your own ears tell you what is best.

digitaria
2007-11-16, 09:27
Thanks both. Good point about a direct pathway. I forgot about all the processing that's going on in the AV amp. I think there's a "clean" input. So it's an analog output from SB into that versus an optical output from the SB into the digital amp input.

I don't want any processing or multi-channel sound from the Squeezebox - just plain stereo.

Time for some critical listening!

mvalera
2007-11-16, 10:14
Stolen and paraphrased from Sean Adam's previous posts...

If you can't bypass your amp's DSP, only use the digital outs.

If you can bypass the DSP and keep the signal analog, use the analog outs.

Mike

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-16, 12:49
All answered in http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?AVReceivers

Eric Seaberg
2007-11-17, 16:34
I run digital into my receiver ONLY because I have a bunch of AC3 and DTS 5.1 encoded albums on my SlimServer. The receiver is set to stay in stereo mode (with LF management) and switches to AC3 or DTS when it receives the appropriate stream.

peejay
2007-11-18, 21:43
I have both analogue and digital outputs going to my NAD receiver, and there is no discernble audible difference (to me), so I switch between them on a whim from time to time just because I can.....