PDA

View Full Version : help with ubuntu (re)install

TomS
2007-11-15, 17:56
Okay this may be a 7.0 thing, not sure but..

I had Slimserver 6.5.4 running on ubuntu 7.10. I upgraded Slimserver to 7.0. Then I thought (since this is a new box) I should start clean with Ubuntu 7.10 and SlimServer 7.0, so I did the following:

apt-get remove slimserver
apt-get autoremove

and then basically found all files/directories called slimserver and deleted them.

Now when I run the install for slimserver (apt-get install slimserver), all looks fine but there is no /etc/init.d/slimserver created or logrotate/slimserver and things aren't running.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to get things back in order again? Obviously I am missing the startup script, don't know what else though.

Thanks for any help-

Tom

bhaagensen
2007-11-16, 02:15
This sounds so strange, so I'm sorry for asking about the obvious. Did you install slimserver from the Ubuntu repositories or follow the instructions at

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?DebianPackage

I am running SqueezeCenter 7.0a1, and I just checked and /etc/init.d/slimserver is defenetely in that package.

EDIT: Reread your post and it seems you are doing the correct thing. Does 'dpkg -L slimserver|grep init' return anything?

Bjørn

TomS
2007-11-16, 06:25
Okay, I don't know what to say here, because as of this morning there is a slimserver in init.d and things seem to be okay. I swear that the install didn't produce this file.

Sorry for the waste of time, but thank you for taking the time to answer.

(and fyi, the dpkg command does show init.d/slimserver).

Thanks

Tom