PDA

View Full Version : Is it really that easy ?????????????

peesee61
2007-11-15, 06:02
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of linking a squeezebox to my hi-fi system so I can access all the music stored on my pc. Is it that easy? and will I be able to access the music on the other two pc's on the household network?

From what I've read so far it seems straightforward enough so should I go ahead and buy one?

Thanks,

Phil.

mecouc
2007-11-15, 06:28
Yes!

Download Slimserver/SqueezeCentre and install Softsqueeze - a software emulator of a Squeezebox so you can see how it would work.

davep
2007-11-15, 06:46
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of linking a squeezebox to my hi-fi system so I can access all the music stored on my pc. Is it that easy? and will I be able to access the music on the other two pc's on the household network?

It is very easy to set up but takes its music files from a single directory on one PC (although this top level directory can have as many levels of subdirectory as you want). To handle music stored on multiple different PCs you will have to set up links from the main directory to the other file stores such that the scan will find all of the files. Not hard to do and there are plenty of people here who will be able to help you out if you need.

As for being worth it - no question at all - it's life changing.

davep

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-15, 06:55
For completeness take a look at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide

But yes, it actually is easy.

IMHO it only gets tricky when you put in all sorts of nice-to-haves and extras: iTunes, plugins, unusual network configurations, MusicIP, remote access, 7 different music encoding types, sorting by band/composer, various artists, sorting untagged music, etc.

iPhone
2007-11-15, 08:35
From what I've read so far it seems straightforward enough so should I go ahead and buy one?
Phil.

Best thing CD/Digital Music wise I have ever done. Mark is right about reading the Beginners threads. Lot's of good info in there.

My advice would be to decide what lossless format you want to use. The time is really worth the reward to have your tunes in the best fidelity possible to max out the sound the SB can provide to you. So my advice is to pick your format by reading up in the forum then trying a few. Then after deciding, start ripping your whole collection.

Sounds like you already have music files and they will most likely be playable imediately on the SB. MP3 are simple and ok to listen to, but the Transporter and SB really perform with lossless files to work from.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-11-15, 14:29
Yes, it's extremely easy, especially for someone already familiar with music files and home networking. So yeah, just go for it. The cool thing about ordering a Squeezebox is that while you're waiting for it to arrive you can install SlimServer and SoftSqueeze, play around with it, get things configured the way you like. So when the hardware arrives, you'll be up and running in a few minutes.

thomsens
2007-11-15, 23:30
If the music is not on the PC running Slimserver, then it's not "so easy." I personally modify the service to login as a user that has rights on both the server and the remote PC so that the service can login and see the files automatically. There's no wizard or easy way to do this that I've found. In my mind, that's not so easy. Also, whenever I upgrade the code, I have to set it up again.

thesil
2007-11-16, 06:44
It is really very simple. I have one SB connected to two different sources. I have a digital out to my system downstairs and I use the two RCA plugs for my upstairs 2 channel for serious listening. I do suggest that you use the wired version though.

It is the best thing that I have done to my system.

GS

aubuti
2007-11-16, 07:48
If the music is not on the PC running Slimserver, then it's not "so easy." I personally modify the service to login as a user that has rights on both the server and the remote PC so that the service can login and see the files automatically. There's no wizard or easy way to do this that I've found. In my mind, that's not so easy. Also, whenever I upgrade the code, I have to set it up again.
Let me guess: you're running Windows on the slimserver pc? In that case the 'wizard' is in the Windows control panel. Admittedly, going through that is indeed an annoyance. This is one of those things that is much easier under linux than under Windows; imo it would even qualify for "so easy". If switching your slimserver computer to linux is an option you should give it a try -- check out SlimCD (http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=763)

Squid
2007-11-16, 08:20

I have no idea what you are trying to do here ? You can simply Share the music folder on the other machine and add that share to the PC running Slimserver. You can even just assign it a drive letter via "Map Network Drive..." such that it looks like a local disk, e.g. M:. Then you point SS to that virtual disk (e.g. M:\FLAC\). If that ain't easy, I don't know what is...
(or am I missing something here) ?

davep
2007-11-16, 08:44
I have no idea what you are trying to do here ? You can simply Share the music folder on the other machine and add that share to the PC running Slimserver. You can even just assign it a drive letter via "Map Network Drive..." such that it looks like a local disk, e.g. M:. Then you point SS to that virtual disk (e.g. M:\FLAC\). If that ain't easy, I don't know what is...

I believe the OP wanted to use music from 3 different PCs and access all of them without consolidation onto one.

davep

peesee61
2007-11-16, 15:41
Guys (and gals if appropriate)

Thanks for your help and advice. I'll have a look at everything you've suggested over the next week or so as I'm on holiday.

Phil.

thomsens
2007-11-20, 00:00

You have to be logged in to have mapped drives. Since this is a server PC and I want slimserver to run after a reboot, I have to run it as a service. I do not have the PC automatically log in upon boot for security reasons.

thomsens
2007-11-20, 00:04
Let me guess: you're running Windows on the slimserver pc? In that case the 'wizard' is in the Windows control panel. Admittedly, going through that is indeed an annoyance. This is one of those things that is much easier under linux than under Windows; imo it would even qualify for "so easy". If switching your slimserver computer to linux is an option you should give it a try -- check out SlimCD (http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=763)

Yes - on windows. SlimCD is a cool concept, but my machine does other things too that require windows. I'd bet most average folks that will have a concern of how tough this product is to configure will not be linux candidates...but I could be wrong.

aubuti
2007-11-20, 14:53
Yes - on windows. SlimCD is a cool concept, but my machine does other things too that require windows. I'd bet most average folks that will have a concern of how tough this product is to configure will not be linux candidates...but I could be wrong.
Going back to your initial post, you were referring specifically to situations in which the music is not on the PC running slimserver. I'd bet that 'average folks' wouldn't have their library on a different pc, so this aspect of configuration would be a non-issue...but I could be wrong, too. <g>

peesee61
2007-11-23, 06:49
Gus/gals,

Well, thank you so much for the response, but................

Will my son and daughter be able to access the music on their pc's as well as the main pc in the household?

If not I can easily copy their music into a folder on mine I was only curious to know the capabilities of this wonderful gadget.

Good to know it sparked a discussion though.

Thanks again,

Phil.

ps, buying next week so I'll let you know how it goes.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-23, 08:40
If you share the folders on their machines with your main machine, then create a shortcut to the shared folders, they can access their music.

Obviously all machines need to be on to do this. You turn all machines on, get it all set up, and rescan. If one of the machines is off and someone tries to select music on it, SlimServer will see that it's an invalid link and delete it from the database - you'll have to rescan to get it back. So it needs a little discipline, even though it appears in SlimServer, if the track is on a machine which isn't there, it goes away until you rescan with the remote machine on.

pfarrell
2007-11-23, 20:30
Will my son and daughter be able to access the music on their pc's as well as the main pc in the household?

What do you mean, exactly, by access the music?

You can run Softsqueeze on nearly any computer and it can then talk to the SlimServer.

You can also stream the music to several kinds of media players, I used WinAmp in the past, it works well. Documentation is available to give details.

If you just share the files that contain the music, anybody (or anybody authorized) on your local LAN network can do anything to the files they want.

What do you have in mind?

peesee61
2007-12-20, 09:31
OK,

Got everything set up and loving it. One issue though, I was under the impression that I could access radio stations even with my pc turned off, I have not been able to do this.

Any ideas why not?

Phil.

nicketynick
2007-12-20, 09:36
OK,

Got everything set up and loving it. One issue though, I was under the impression that I could access radio stations even with my pc turned off, I have not been able to do this.

Any ideas why not?

Phil.

Have you registered your Squeezenetwork account? You'll have received a PIN with the SB3, go to www.squeezenetwork.com.
Or am I way off base?

radish
2007-12-20, 10:35
Have you registered your Squeezenetwork account? You'll have received a PIN with the SB3, go to www.squeezenetwork.com.
Or am I way off base?

Yup, you need to use Squeezenetwork for this. SN is basically a "big slimserver in the sky" which provides many of the same features of your local slimserver over the internet. You'll need to create an account at squeezenetwork.com and follow some simple steps to connect the SB3.

More information is on page 17 of the manual (http://www.slimdevices.com/documentation/Squeezebox-v3-Owners-Guide.pdf).