PDA

View Full Version : dealing with special chars in albumart JPGs?

dcote
2007-11-14, 13:39
while i am at it... (today i must have posted as much as i normally do in 1/2 year! ;-)

my albumart is in a separate directory from my music. i have SS set up to display it. (i think)

my scheme is based on albums, because they are unique.

but i have album tags with "$" and ":" in them, which NTFS cant handle.

so how do i name JPGs for such albums?

example album:
"Some Girls Wander By Mistake: 80 - 83"

what name should i give the albumart JPG?
"Some Girls Wander By Mistake 80 - 83.jpg" -> tried it, doesnt work
"Some Girls Wander By Mistake 80 - 83.jpg" ? (supposed to have TWO spaces between Mistake and 80, but the BBS autocorrects it)
"Some Girls Wander By Mistake_ 80 - 83.jpg" ?

i know i could try it out, but i really do not want to re-scan the entire DB every single time! (takes ~45 mins. on my machine)
(see also: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35177)

thanks for your help guys!

Anoop M.
2007-11-14, 18:37
What happens if you put the cover art in each respected album folder and name it cover.jpg?

dcote
2007-11-15, 03:20
hi anoop!

sorry - i cant do that because most of my music is in flat directories. there are no subdirs for artists, albums, etc.
hasnt been a problem yet, either - until i wanted to use albumart...

examples:
f:\music\ogg-vorbis\*.ogg (contains ~2500 songs, no subdirs)
f:\music\mp3\*.mp3 (contains ~3500 songs, no subdirs)
etc.

and to be honest, i would hate to have to re-arrange ~6500 files just because SS doesnt have a way to deal with this. ;-)

Robin Bowes
2007-11-15, 06:12
dcote wrote:

> and to be honest, i would hate to have to re-arrange ~6500 files just
> because SS doesnt have a way to deal with this. ;-)
>

You really should use a more hierarchical structure. It will make your
life much easier.

Something like this:

f:/music/mp3/artist/album/

Most of the popular tagging utils will sort this out for you in minutes.

R.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-11-15, 12:08
One way to make it work properly would be to use legal characters in the filename.jpg and change the ALBUM tag of each file to match the filename.

Or, you could embed the album art in the tags for those few albums where the characters are a problem. Then slimserver will find the art in the tags and it won't matter whether there's a matching jpg in the art folder.

JJZolx
2007-11-15, 13:28
Although I'd also advise reorganizing the library into some kind of folder-per-album arrangement, it's a good question.

I would have thought that it would work a little like the search works with punctuation characters, and replace illegal characters with spaces (and collapsing multiple spaces, IIRC). Or, it could be that nobody ever gave it any consideration, so that some album names just can't have covers recognized by %ALBUM.jpg.

Bizarroterl
2007-11-15, 14:53
I too have my album art centrally located. I found that SS was very picky, and an extra space will result in a ? instead of the artwork. My music folders are structured by artist\ablbum\track - name though. I wasn't able to get SS to find artwork for various artists (IE: Various Artists\The Big 80s\track - name) unless I placed one in the album folder. With a flat layout that wouldn't be possible and putting the artwork in the files would be the only way to get artwork to display.

dcote
2007-11-19, 16:31
thank you for your thoughts gentlemen! :-)

i have numerous compilations. as i painfully discovered, slimserver does not deal with compilations in artist-sorted directories properly - they are displayed multiple times!
see here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39863

surely, you must have seen that? seriously, if most of you sort your music as:
.\artist\album\track.*
you HAVE to be seeing this? and if you do, dont you find it maddeningly irritating? it is driving me NUTS!

frankly, i would rather forget about albumart in favor of correctly displayed albums.

re. pale blue ego: 70% of my music is in ogg-vorbis format. it does not support albumart embedding, because the ogg file is a general purpose streaming media container which is not specifically limited to audio.

snarlydwarf
2007-11-19, 16:42
surely, you must have seen that? seriously, if most of you sort your music as:
.\artist\album\track.*
you HAVE to be seeing this? and if you do, dont you find it maddeningly irritating? it is driving me NUTS!

No, I sort it as albumartist/album/track

(Well sometimes with multiple layers.)

I would cry if I had to scour my hard drive to look for all the parts of a tribute album. Or for some albums like "State of the Union", with 147 tracks, all by different artists. So it is like:

Sonny Bono - Bonograph/<track>

(In the case of artists with "few" CD's, I collect their works under a Grouping of some sort... I am unlikely to get any other Sonny Bono albums, so no reason to give him a whole directory.)

dcote
2007-11-19, 16:49
snarlydwarf - i may be mis-reading, but arent you sorting exactly as i thought:
.\artist\album\track.* ?

or is there a difference between "albumartist" and "artist"?

btw. precisely because i would also hate to "scour" for files is why all my files are diligently named
"album.track#.artist.trackname.ogg"
and put in to a FLAT directory.

that way, i can scroll up and down in explorer and locate albums and files very quickly. (works great for me and my GF when we select files to put on our portable players)

snarlydwarf
2007-11-19, 17:05
or is there a difference between "albumartist" and "artist"?

There is a huge difference between album artist and artist.

Artist paths for Bonograph would be like:

/music/Flat Duo Jets/Bonograph/01 Needles and Pins
/music/Otis Ball/Bonograph/02 Laugh At Me
/music/Charlie Chesterman and The Harmony Rockets/Bonograph/03 Baby, Don't Go

That would be painful.

This works better:

/music/Sonny Bono - Bonograph/01 Flat Duo Jets - Needles and Pins
/music/Sonny Bono - Bonograph/02 Otis Ball - Laugh At Me

etc.

AlbumArtist in this case is Sonny Bono (since it is a tribute to him, and if I was a record store, I would file it under Sonny Bono).

btw. precisely because i would also hate to "scour" for files is why all my files are diligently named
"album.track#.artist.trackname.ogg"
and put in to a FLAT directory.

Manually paging through roughly 21,000 tracks is painful. At a growth rate of 300 or so tracks a month, that will only get worse.

that way, i can scroll up and down in explorer and locate albums and files very quickly. (works great for me and my GF when we select files to put on our portable players)

If that's what turns you on... most of us would find that solution does not scale at all.