PDA

View Full Version : Active Speakers

Stoker
2007-11-13, 06:18
Hi

I'm trying out using a SB3 plugged into some computer type active speakers as an alarm clock.

The problem I'm having is that the speakers need to be left powered on all night so that they work when the SB3 wakes up. Unfortunately they hum a little and I don't like to be wasteful with the power.

Anyone know of any active speakers that can be left in a kind of standby state and then automatically turn on by detecting the presence of an audio signal on their inputs? I'm looking at the cheaper/smaller end of the market - under 100 and as small as possible.

cheers

SuperQ
2007-11-13, 10:43
Hi

I'm trying out using a SB3 plugged into some computer type active speakers as an alarm clock.

The problem I'm having is that the speakers need to be left powered on all night so that they work when the SB3 wakes up. Unfortunately they hum a little and I don't like to be wasteful with the power.

Anyone know of any active speakers that can be left in a kind of standby state and then automatically turn on by detecting the presence of an audio signal on their inputs? I'm looking at the cheaper/smaller end of the market - under 100 and as small as possible.

cheers

What kind of speakers do you have now?

I use a T-Amp and normal speakers (definitive pro cinema monitors) for my alarm clock setup. I don't have any audible hum or hiss with my setup. I keep the T-Amp at about 1/3 volume, and the squeezebox is set to play at 35 for the alarm playlist.

I had a pair of cheap altec lansing PC speakers that had a very audible hiss even when the switch was "off". I eventually just gave them away because the sound was awful.

You may want to check out the Audio Engine 2 speakers for an alarm clock setup.

http://www.audioengineusa.com/

peter
2007-11-13, 11:17
SuperQ wrote:
> Stoker;242361 Wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm trying out using a SB3 plugged into some computer type active
>> speakers as an alarm clock.
>>
>> The problem I'm having is that the speakers need to be left powered on
>> all night so that they work when the SB3 wakes up. Unfortunately they
>> hum a little and I don't like to be wasteful with the power.
>>
>> Anyone know of any active speakers that can be left in a kind of
>> standby state and then automatically turn on by detecting the presence
>> of an audio signal on their inputs? I'm looking at the cheaper/smaller
>> end of the market - under 100 and as small as possible.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>
> What kind of speakers do you have now?
>
> I use a T-Amp and normal speakers (definitive pro cinema monitors) for
> my alarm clock setup. I don't have any audible hum or hiss with my
> setup. I keep the T-Amp at about 1/3 volume, and the squeezebox is set
> to play at 35 for the alarm playlist.
>

I had the same setup in my bedroom, worked very well. I suspect the
power usage of the little T-amp is minimal when it has nothing to play.

> I had a pair of cheap altec lansing PC speakers that had a very audible
> hiss even when the switch was "off". I eventually just gave them away
> because the sound was awful.
>

Frankly, I never heard any good PC speakers.

Regards,
Peter

mgraves
2007-11-14, 15:16
Actually, Behringer makes a set known as MS-40's that are not only in your price range, but have digital inputs as well. I don't think they're bi=amped, but 20w/c.

http://www.behringer.com/MS40/

They list at $189 USD...which should be well under 100 GBP. Probably cheapest on Ebay, which is where I bought my Truth Series monitors.

Michael Graves

Stoker
2007-11-15, 06:09
Thanks for the replies, I'll check out the Audioengine and the Beringer suggestions.

Cheers