PDA

View Full Version : Naive question about the Jive Platform and the Nokia 95

Nikhil
2007-11-12, 20:32
I recently received a Nokia N95 8GB as a birthday gift. I must say it is a really neat device. One of the things that struck me was its potential to be used as a controller for my SB. In fact the 240*320 screen resolution seems to be the same as the Beta Jive hardware, and in several other aspects the Nokia's hardware specs are equivalent to, or slightly exceed, the Jive Hardware's specs (This version does not have a removable storage card, and I'm not sure if it has an accelerometer - it might though because the screen can shift from portrait to landscape automatically). A quick Google search revealed that there has been some effort to develop the Lua programming language for the Symbian S60 platform, but I know too little about any of this to make anything of it. So how feasible would it be to have the functionality of the Jive Remote as an app on the Nokia N95 (or another similar device)?

Here are the relevant specs for the N95 8GB:

Operating System: Symbian OS v9.2
Developer Platform: S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1
Display Resolution: 240 x 320 (2.8 QVGA)
Color Depth: 24 bit (16M Colors)
Dual CPU, CPU Type: ARM 11
CPU Clock Rate: 332 MHz
3D Graphics HW Accelerator
Max User Storage: 8 GB
NAND Memory: 256 MB
SDRAM Memory: 128 MB, ~90 MB Free Executable RAM Memory
Unlimited Heap size, Unlimited Jar size
Connectivity: Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, Infrared, Mini USB 2.0, WLAN 802.11b/g, etc

Nikhil
2007-11-13, 20:41
No response even though quite a few appear to have viewed this post :(

Is it because:

(i) The question is stupid (and so is the person who posted it!)

(ii) The question is too long; we fell asleep before we finished reading

(iii) It can't be done

(iv) It might be possible, but no one really cares or has the time (at least not at the moment)

(v) Its actually being done as part of a super secret project; we'd have to kill you if we told you

(vi) All of the above

(vii) None of the above

kdf
2007-11-13, 20:49
may be possible, but you'd have to find a way to compile the software
for it.
-kdf

ceejay
2007-11-14, 03:06
Well, there is always the simple option - use the browser (handheld skin) to access slimserver through the web interface?

Ceejay

Nikhil
2007-11-14, 03:55
Well, there is always the simple option - use the browser (handheld skin) to access slimserver through the web interface?

Ceejay

That wold be too simple, wouldn't it :) .. It actually is workable, but still a little rough. I felt the same way about the Nokia770 skin on that device. The skin was great, but it isn't so much fun to launch a browser and use it that way. Now with Jive, it should be possible to create native apps on both the Nokia N95 Symbian platform and the Nokia770 maemo platform.

Nikhil
2007-11-15, 22:25
Well I guess these two posts from Dean and Richard sort of answer my questions. Looks live the Jive UI will be available of several platforms (hopefully the Nokia Symbian and Maemo platforms will be among them), and will also include local audio playback ... which is super great news. The sad part is that it looks like its going to be quite a while before we see any of this.

One goal for the Jive UI is to scale to a
variety of screen sizes and run on a bunch of platforms.

We're just getting started now. Richard's working on some changes
now that will make the Jive application window dynamically resizable
and local audio playback is on the roadmap.

Stay tuned and if you can, feel free to pitch in!

-dean

We are planning on adding audio support for both the Jive desktop application (to replace Softsqueeze) and the Jive remote (because we can). But this won't be for a while yet.....

.... the plan is to port the audio playback from the Squeezebox firmware to the Jive platform. Watch this space!!