PDA

View Full Version : Suggested modification to Fishbone Skin

Cape11
2007-11-12, 12:54
The Fishbone skin allows the display of a second graphic image, on a song-by-song basis, in the Squeezebox status window; this image is stipulated to be no larger than 100 by 100 pixels. Because of this size restriction, the image is of limited use. I would like to suggest a much more useful approach, but this will require a new, or modified Fishbone, skin.
I listen to classical music, which will include opera and vocal recitals. There are thus words accompanying the music, and these are usually given in the accompanying CD booklet. I have no doubt that a similar situation occurs with other types of music. Id like to be able to display the words for each individual track/song as the second graphic image. This can be done quite easily in Fishbone, but the size and resolution make the images impossible to read. So: can we have larger images? And then again, why display an image? What is needed is a display of text. So why not allow the presentation of .txt files as the second image?

snarlydwarf
2007-11-12, 13:06
And then again, why display an image? What is needed is a display of text. So why not allow the presentation of .txt files as the second image?

Why not just use the LYRICS tag, which works fine?

(USLT on mp3, but LYRICS on Flac...)

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-12, 13:35
Fishbone may be discontinued:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=241756&postcount=4

kdf
2007-11-12, 15:38
On 12-Nov-07, at 12:35 PM, Mark Lanctot wrote:

>
> Fishbone may be discontinued:
>
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=241756&postcount=4

not exactly. just that it may be my suggestion, as continuing to
modify it is only slightly more fun than a root canal.
I'm not much interested in extending it any further than it already
is. To my mind, it's feature complete. The newer structures going
into place to support the new Default, and the migration to using
ExtJs should mean it's time for new skins.

Porting the Fishbone skin isn't worth the time, at least not mine.

-kdf

dwc
2007-11-12, 15:57
KDF - thanks again for fishbone.

(is there an easy way to synch? You give a nice one-button "unsynch" once synched, but I always have to go dumpster diving to get get the synch turned on :)

kdf
2007-11-12, 16:20
On 12-Nov-07, at 2:57 PM, dwc wrote:

>
> (is there an easy way to synch? You give a nice one-button "unsynch"
> once synched, but I always have to go dumpster diving to get get the
> synch turned on :)

player settings -> audio. I have no plans myself to replicate the
sync dialog
in the new default as that would require porting it to prototype/
scriptaculous
or porting much of Fishbone to ExtJS (they don't play well combined).

patches are, of course, always welcome.

-kdf

Cape11
2007-11-13, 04:04
Why not just use the LYRICS tag, which works fine?

(USLT on mp3, but LYRICS on Flac...)
Snarlydwarf: thanks for the reply. Can you explain what you mean please? I've tried to find references to LYRICS in the slimserver documentation and help files but with no success.

Cape11
2007-11-13, 09:43
SnarlyDwarf: ah yes, I think I begin to see your point. I've just downloaded Tag&Rename (3.3.5) on trial and I can now see the Lyrics tag. And yes, it's very useful, especially as this tag remains 'fixed' to the main flac file. That's certainly half the problem solved. Now all I need is a Slimserver skin that allows you to show the Lyric tag.

snarlydwarf
2007-11-13, 09:52
SnarlyDwarf: ah yes, I think I begin to see your point. I've just downloaded Tag&Rename (3.3.5) on trial and I can now see the Lyrics tag. And yes, it's very useful, especially as this tag remains 'fixed' to the main flac file. That's certainly half the problem solved. Now all I need is a Slimserver skin that allows you to show the Lyric tag.

Fishbone and Default do.

You can even use Advanced Search to search lyrics.

Cape11
2007-11-13, 12:47
Fishbone and Default do.

You can even use Advanced Search to search lyrics.

Yes, you're right, the advanced search allows you to search the lyrics files, which is very useful. And Fishbone allows me to display artwork on a track by track basis. But how, when I'm playing a 'CD' can I get Fishbone to display the lyrics track by track? I'm stuck on that.

snarlydwarf
2007-11-13, 12:53
Yes, you're right, the advanced search allows you to search the lyrics files, which is very useful. And Fishbone allows me to display artwork on a track by track basis. But how, when I'm playing a 'CD' can I get Fishbone to display the lyrics track by track? I'm stuck on that.

Click on the track name on the right hand pane, that will bring up the Song Info on the left hand pane, which will have all the usual info including lyrics.

Cape11
2007-11-14, 04:19
Click on the track name on the right hand pane, that will bring up the Song Info on the left hand pane, which will have all the usual info including lyrics.Yes, that works! Problem solved! Many thanks again for your help and patience.