PDA

View Full Version : 5.8 GHz cordless phone interrupts internet radio



Jay_S
2007-11-10, 16:29
I'm confused.

I just bought a 5.8 GHz cordless phone to replace a dying 900 MHz phone. I never had issues with network interference with the 900 MHz phone. And I don't generally have network interference with our new 5.8G phones (2 handsets, one base).

HOWEVER, this afternoon while listening to internet radio via squeeze network, when ever I would make or answer calls the queezebox would go dark and stop playing for the duration of the call. After hanging up, the SBv2 would display 'now playing' but wouldn't actually be playing. It would resume playing the radio station as soon as I pressed play on the remote.

Playback of FLACs from slimserver is not affected by taking or making calls. Just the internet radio.

Strangely, I've used the phone while browsing the internet. So I'm not sure why the phone would interrupt radio but not internet.

I connect via DSL. I have a Netgear 802.11g wireless router. The SBv2 is approx 10 ft away from the router.

I miss my 900 MHz phone. The 5.8GHz sounds like a cell phone.

Any ideas?

Ben Sandee
2007-11-10, 17:20
On Nov 10, 2007 5:29 PM, Jay_S
<Jay_S.2zuvnz1194737401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> I'm confused.
>
> I just bought a 5.8 GHz cordless phone to replace a dying 900 MHz
> phone. I never had issues with network interference with the 900 MHz
> phone. And I don't generally have network interference with our new
> 5.8G phones (2 handsets, one base).

Which phone? There are many 5.8GHz phones that actually use 2.4GHz to
*send* your voice and 5.8GHz to receive from the base unit.
Ridiculous I know, but it's something to check in to.

Ben

bpa
2007-11-10, 17:41
Since your phone only affects internet traffic which goes out on your DSL connection - it looks likes the problem is with the connection between the phone's basestation and the phone socket or the DSL splitter.

sdonham
2007-11-10, 19:05
Since your phone only affects internet traffic which goes out on your DSL connection - it looks likes the problem is with the connection between the phone's basestation and the phone socket or the DSL splitter.

I second that. Although you mentioned that you are able to browse the internet while on the phone, perhaps the signal in your phone line degrades enough that streaming audio becomes a problem when you're on the phone, but not quite enough to browse the web? I could just be throwing darts however....

Here's an idea, try to download a large file, perhaps 100 Megs in size, and make a few calls in the process. Can you see your download speed change or fluctuate? I'm just wondering if perhaps when you are on the phone, your download speed drops enough to make internet radio streaming difficult.

Jay_S
2007-11-12, 15:26
Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll try a large dl tonight while making calls.

The phone is a Panasonic KX-TG6052B 5.8 GHz FHSS Expandable Digital Cordless Phone System with 2 Handsets.

Jay

Jay_S
2007-11-12, 19:20
Here's an idea, try to download a large file, perhaps 100 Megs in size, and make a few calls in the process. Can you see your download speed change or fluctuate?

OK! Strange!

I picked the latest Ubuntu 7.10 as my download. Using my network monitor on my powerbook, I average around 165k/s.

Until I press talk on my cordless phone. Immediately after pressing 'talk', the download throughput drops to ZERO.

However, this has no effect on streaming files from my server over the wireless network.

So. It seems that my phone is completely hijacking my phone line.

This seems to have nothing to do with my wireless network, and instead some problem with the phone (because my old 900 MHz cordless didn't do this).

I'm going to try panasonic's help...

Jay

pfarrell
2007-11-12, 19:34
Jay_S wrote:
> Until I press talk on my cordless phone. Immediately after pressing
> 'talk', the download throughput drops to ZERO.
>
> I'm going to try panasonic's help...

best of luck with support
In a lot of cases, you just get to buy new phones. Or new WiFi routers.
or both.

Jay_S
2007-11-12, 19:41
It does the same thing with my wired connections. I'm going to try taking my wifi router out of the chain.

EDIT: Yes. Same problem even with my desktop wired directly to the DSL modem.

So far, Panasonic's support sucks! But that's just because they're closed right now and I can't complain to anyone.

Jay

msherman
2007-11-12, 19:59
Jay_S wrote:
> It does the same thing with my wired connections. I'm going to try
> taking my wifi router out of the chain.
>
> So far, Panasonic's support sucks! But that's just because they're
> closed right now and I can't complain to anyone.

Do you have DSL? Did you remember to plug the phone into a line filter?
That could also explain why you say the new phone sounds terrible.

- Marc

Jay_S
2007-11-12, 20:37
Do you have DSL? Did you remember to plug the phone into a line filter? That could also explain why you say the new phone sounds terrible.

Yes, I have DSL. It's the AT&T aDSL available in the Milwaukee WI USA area. I'm using the same line filter that I was using with my old 900 MHz phone. I think the sound quality has more to do with analog vs digital. My old 900 MHz V-Tech was an analog phone. I think all the new digital phones sound like cell/mobile phones (ie, like crap).

I've been searching for a replacement on Amazon.com, and MAN is it hard to find a decent 900 MHz phone anymore. 2.4 GHz is obviously out of the question. And so far my luck with 5.8 ain't so good. Who knows, maybe 5.8 GHz is great and I just need to work through more phone systems...

Jay

Pale Blue Ego
2007-11-13, 10:22
Does the voice line have a filter on it? Most DSL installations require a filter on the voice lines.

Also, you might want to return the 5.8 GHz system and go for one of the newer DECT 6.0 phone systems, which use the 1.9 GHZ spectrum and are lots more immune to interference.

The Panasonic KX-TG1032 is a DECT 6.0 system with 2 handsets. It's also available in 3, 4, and 5 handset packs.

sdonham
2007-11-13, 20:01
My old 900 MHz V-Tech was an analog phone. I think all the new digital phones sound like cell/mobile phones (ie, like crap).

I've been searching for a replacement on Amazon.com, and MAN is it hard to find a decent 900 MHz phone anymore. 2.4 GHz is obviously out of the question. And so far my luck with 5.8 ain't so good. Who knows, maybe 5.8 GHz is great and I just need to work through more phone systems...

Jay

I just returned my 5.8 digital phone to Best Buy for the same reason: it sounded liked crap. They did happen to have a 900 analog at Best Buy which sounds MUCH better. It's ugly, and looks like it was built in 1985, but it sounds clean.
If you're in the US, check Best Buy.