PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to Squeezebox from SlimServer

ptorpey
2007-11-10, 13:53
I sometimes have a problem connecting SlimServer to my Squeezebox. Here is my setup:

1. SlimServer 6.5.4 running on a Windows XP PC
2. Squeezebox hooked to my stereo in the next room
3. Buffalo wireless router

Here is the problem...If I use the remote to set the Squeezebox to "SlimServer", then, if I start SlimServer on the PC, I can run the Squeezebox from my PC.

However, if the Squeezebox is set (from the remote) to use the SqueezeNetwork, the Squeezebox properly plays internet radio (as it should) through my router, but I cannot seem to get to and/or run the Squeezebox from my PC by running SlimServer.

The reason this is a problem is that I am blind and cannot use the remote. Sometimes, someone else sets the Squeezebox to play music via the SqueezeNetwork and leaves it in this state after turning it off. Not being able to use the remote, I try and run SlimServer from my PC in order to control the Squeezebox, but SlimServer will say that my player cannot be found. In this situation I need sighted assistance to use the remote to get the Squeezebox to play through the SlimServer, and then all is fine.

Is there some way out of this dilemma - i.e., is there some way I can get the Squeezebox to be run by the SlimServer software from my PC no matter what state it has been left in?

Alternately, is there some simple button I can push on the remote in order to get the Squeezebox into a state which will enable it to be run by the SlimServer software? Note: since the menus on the Squeezebox display all wrap around, I can't use these menus reliably without seeing them.

Thanks for any help / suggestions.

-- Pete

funkstar
2007-11-10, 23:19
However, if the Squeezebox is set (from the remote) to use the SqueezeNetwork, the Squeezebox properly plays internet radio (as it should) through my router, but I cannot seem to get to and/or run the Squeezebox from my PC by running SlimServer.
When a SqueezeBox is connected to SqueezeNetwork, tyour local SlimServer cannot see it. The last option in the main menu, when connected the SqueezeNetwork, will disconnect you and connect you to your local SlimServer.

In SlimServer 7 (being renamed SqueezeCenter) there is much tighter integration between it and SqueezeNetwork. I Think you can take control of the player from either web interfaces.

ptorpey
2007-11-11, 05:50
Thanks for the reply.

So, since I am blind, is there a set of keystroeks which I can push on the remote to reliably get to the main menu and the last item without seeing the display as I'm navigating? I don't always know where in the menus the last person left the Squeezebox.

Also, do you know approximately when SlimServer 7.0 will be out of beta and officially released?

Thanks.

jaysung
2007-11-11, 05:51
I am blind as well and have pointed out the problem earlier. :p There is no solution to the problem via the remote.
Only way is to go to www.squeezenetwork.com and disconnect the player from there.
It is under players in the main menu of the site.
However SS 7 is said to include the function we would need. At least we can reconnect the box via a computer.
btw.: I would be interested if the opener of this thread is using the remote at all?

ptorpey
2007-11-11, 06:10
Jason,

As you point out, the remote is not useable by the blind. Thus, I don't use the remote, and only control the Squeezebox via SlimServer on my PC.

Once in a while, I do try to play the last station which may have been playing by first hitting the power button and then the play button. Although this often workd, sometimes nothing will happen and (I am told by a sighted person) that the display says "nothing playing". At that point, I'm lost and there's nothing I can do except get someone else to get the Squeezebox running again by using the remote.

Well, I guess I'll look forward to SlimServer 7 (whenever it is available).

Thanks.

-- Pete

htrd
2007-11-11, 07:01
ptorpey wrote:

> is there a set of keystroeks which I can push on
> the remote to reliably get to the main menu and the last item without
> seeing the display as I'm navigating?

I dont think there is such a sequence of keystrokes. This annoys me on
slimserver too.

Pressing "Now Playing" comes pretty close. From there you could
press "left","up","right" to sign off from squeezenetwork.

Unfortunately "Now Playing" will leave your menu position unchanged if the
current playlist is empty. I have patched my slimserver to fix this, and
hopefully we can get this into squeezenetwork too.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6124