PDA

View Full Version : IR Voltage levels

barrygordon
2007-11-10, 08:12
I have a little circuit for connecting the output of an IR transmitter (where you normally plug in the emitter) to a standard Xantech connection block. I just need to know what the output voltages are on the IR jacks of the Transporter and the Squeezebox. 3.3V, 5V, 12V ?

I think I read that the Transporter was 3.3 Volts.

Help appreciated.

cliveb
2007-11-14, 01:22
I just need to know what the output voltages are on the IR jacks of the Transporter and the Squeezebox. 3.3V, 5V, 12V ?
When I first saw your posting I assumed it would be answered very quickly, but see you still haven't had a response.

I've measured the IR output voltage on a Transporter and an SB2, and it was (close to) 3.3V on both. I would assume that the SB3 voltage is the same as the SB2.

barrygordon
2007-11-14, 07:49
Thanks Clive. I assumed 3.3 or 5 and built my level convereter to handle both

nogauss
2007-11-26, 09:06
I have a little circuit for connecting the output of an IR transmitter (where you normally plug in the emitter) to a standard Xantech connection block. I just need to know what the output voltages are on the IR jacks of the Transporter and the Squeezebox. 3.3V, 5V, 12V ?

Help appreciated.

Barry could you share your circuit? I would like to take the output from the Squeezebox and use it as a receiver for Xantech connection block.

barrygordon
2007-11-26, 09:14
It is not "My" circuit, I picked it up on a search of the web. In the end I did it a different way. My system has a black box (literaly, a RS project box) which is a little "optical coupler" consisting of a Xantech J box receiver and a space for multiple IR emitters I just ran the emitters into the box and all was well. I am driving from the squeezebox over about 20 feeet of 22 gauge wire into a small Xanteck dinky link emitter which puts out visible light also. I just had some laying around.

Here is the link to the circuit. It is just a 2 stage amplifier which acts as a level converter. The circuit was designed for a 5 volt source, but that should not matter as 3.3 volts should be enough to drive the second transistor into saturation. If not lower the 2.2K resistor to something around 1.4 K to get more current. Let me know how you make out.

http://www.pbase.com/deanej/image/67535245

nogauss
2007-11-26, 11:00
Thanks Barry this is exactly what I was looking for. It my take me awhile but I definitely will give it try.

seanadams
2007-11-26, 23:24

Help appreciated.

The input is high impedance and diode clamped, so it is compatible with the 12V output of the Xantech system. In fact, I have this setup myself and it works great.

The output is 3.3V with a 100R current limiting resistor. I don't know if it works with Xantech. I can try it for you if you want.

By the way, the Xantech system uses modulated signals (like what would go to an LED) but some devices want unmodulated signals (like what comes from a IR receiver module). Transporter is actually able to decipher either kind of signal automatically provided it has an amplitude of at least 2V or so.

barrygordon
2007-11-26, 23:29
Thanks for the input side info sean, but I believe he was looking in the other direction from the player outward bound. I am pretty sure that a 3.3 volt signal will not be enough to drive the input of a xantech connecting block.

nogauss
2007-11-27, 10:19
Barry you are correct I want to drive the Xantech connectiong block. The actual plan is to connect SB3 to the IR remote in on an Arcam AVR350 receiver which follows the Xantech standard. I am also hoping that I can hook up in parallel an IR emitter with this circuit to control a Roku photo bridge that does not have an IR control jack. The Arcam AVR350 has an IR out that I will use control an Arcam DVD.

barrygordon
2007-11-27, 10:39
Once you move to 12 volts, I suspect that even without a connecting block (especially a passive non-amplified one) you could just use a dual head Emitter If your wiring is close enough.

My experince with IR at the xantech 12 volt level is:

(1) can drive 22-24 gauge cable hundreds of feet, xantech claims a thousand or so.

(2) can use a single pair of a Cat5 bundle, although there might be some crosstalk which might bother gigabit ethernet on cat6

(3) can drive between 2 and 4 emitters as long as they are in series.

You could just make your own passive connecting block with a small terminal strip or a piece of plastic and a bunch of 1/8" mono phono jacks.

An IR emitter is nothing more than an IR LED and a resistor. If you do not get enough power, lower the resistor forcing more current through the LED. Most IR LED's will provide enough energy with about 10-20 mils of current. With emitters wired in series, the total resistance is the sum of all the resistances at each individual LED plus the negligible forward resistance of each LED. A 1k total resistance at 12 volts should provide 12 mils of current flow You can measure the total forward resistance of an IR LED using an ohm meter but the polarity is important. In one direction you get the total forward resistance, in the other you get a very high reading (basically an open).

I made this simple as I do not know your electronics background, and others with less background may even understand it.

nogauss
2007-11-27, 12:23
Thanks for the detail as my electronics background is limited. I was thinking of connecting the emitter to the SB3 3.3V side of the circuit.

barrygordon
2007-11-27, 12:29
The point labeled +5 volts in the diagram goes to the tip of a 1/8" phono jack that you plug into the Transporter or Squeezebox.

the point below that one labeled common or ground goes to the sleve of the same plug

The Point labeled +12v on the right hand side of the picture goes to a source of 12 volts which is generally available from a Xantech receiver or power supply

The wire below that is the output IR signal that goes to the connecting block

The wire below that is the common or ground that goes to the connecting block and to the -negative side of the power supply providing the 12 volts. They may be the same point

Hope that helps

nogauss
2008-01-07, 10:13
It is not "My" circuit, I picked it up on a search of the web. In the end I did it a different way. My system has a black box (literaly, a RS project box) which is a little "optical coupler" consisting of a Xantech J box receiver and a space for multiple IR emitters I just ran the emitters into the box and all was well. I am driving from the squeezebox over about 20 feeet of 22 gauge wire into a small Xanteck dinky link emitter which puts out visible light also. I just had some laying around.

Here is the link to the circuit. It is just a 2 stage amplifier which acts as a level converter. The circuit was designed for a 5 volt source, but that should not matter as 3.3 volts should be enough to drive the second transistor into saturation. If not lower the 2.2K resistor to something around 1.4 K to get more current. Let me know how you make out.

http://www.pbase.com/deanej/image/67535245

Thanks Barry I built the circuit and it works perfectly. I did use a 1.0K resistor instead of the 2.2K resistor. I did not try the 2.2K resistor so I don't know if it would have worked.

Thanks again

Ozz
2009-10-05, 10:01
Question:

1. Is there a signal sent to the IR port every time the Transporter powers up? As in via Ipenq, Web Client or push the button on the front?

I am still trying to find a way of using the Niles MSU250 I own to power on/off my Arcam Mono Block amps via a 12V trigger.

I do not see the Powerswitch plugin on a supported list with 7.4 so I really want to keep this simple. I guess I could use a IR emitter and add an IR eye to the MSU250 but this is starting to get ugly.

Thanks
Ozz

barrygordon
2009-10-05, 10:47
Yes. You need to install the IR Blaster plugin and then connect your IR emitter to the IR out jack on the Transporter. The IR Blaster allows for IR emission on Power on/off and volume up/down. I used the capability on my Transporter and on a squeezbox in my master bedroom. My transporter no longer sends IR, but instead I have installed the xAP plugin which provides xAP network messages from the server as the power and or volume changes state. In fact xAP can and does send a lot more.

Ozz
2009-10-05, 11:07
Barry,

I assume that means I have to add an IR eye to the Niles MSU250? I was hoping to use go 1/8 phono to 1/8 phone (IR out to Niles status line in).

All I want to do is produce a 12vdc trigger to power on and off the amps but as yet I have not been able to with the Niles unit.

barrygordon
2009-10-05, 11:47
Please carefully read the whole thread!

Being as I am in a nice mood (at least right now):

You have two choices, Use an IR emitter to talk to the Niles unit, or add an auxiliary circuit to develop a 12 volt signal for your amp directly. I do not know your electronics background, but the IR emmitter method requires none

The voltage out of the IR port is 3.3 volts max as the slim devices are cmos based not ttl. There is not much power at the IR port (low current as it is meant for IR). You need to convert the 3.3 volt signal out of the IR port to 12 volts. This thread has a reference to a circuit that will do that. You will need a 12 volt DC power supply (a wall wart will do) with a maximim current ratting at maybe 100-300 milliamps. Too much current capacity will not matter.

You also can use the circuit to drive a xantech relay (CC12) which can be used to make a contact closure upon receipt of the correct IR signal. The CC12 is very flexible as you can use an IR pattern to close it, another one to open it, another one to toggle it, and another one to close it for a short period of time (momentary). You would need to tell the IR Blaster the patterns, and the IR blaster can actually learn them but I have no experince in that.