PDA

View Full Version : power off fix-- nice nit just fixed

bklaas
2007-11-09, 17:09
FYI-- checkin r861 (should be available in tomorrow's daily firmware update) finalized a nice fix on a long-running nit.

If you need to power down your remote, you can now do it by press-holding the home key for 2 (not 20) seconds. You will then get a confirm/cancel window, which should be self-explanatory.

Also new is the default behavior when the remote is docked--it now dims down to off when docked. Richard and I think this may lead to people not really caring about shutting down their remote, but we shall see. I figure there will be two camps: those that don't like things being on all the time, and those that can't stand the boot time. :)

cheers all and have a nice weekend,
#!/ben

sdonham
2007-11-09, 18:29
HHAHAahaha!!!!
Thanks!! That has always bugged me how long it took to power down. I thought it was just me.....
I also like the new idea of dimming the screen to zero when docked, that was my other minor annoyance. I want it to charge at night, but I don't want it lighting up my room. And, while I usually power off at night, I sometimes leave it running 24 hours to check for stability.

Great fix.

As a side note, and, admittedly I've been too busy to look into it, but how is the brightness setting saved? I set it 50% and after I power down the device, it goes back to 100% when started up again.

tyler_durden
2007-11-09, 19:44
I like the block clock screen saver when the remote is sitting in the dock. I hope it still works...

TD

sdonham
2007-11-11, 10:24
Hi Bklaas,
Quick question.... When docked, is the screen supposed to dim to 0% immediately? Currently, I hear the docking sound chime, and the screen does dim to about 99% of full brightness, a barely noticeable difference, then eventually, it dims to 0% after a minute or so. Is this correct or is it supposed to dim to 0% the second it's docked?

Thank you again for fixing the half-century power down lag. The new 2 seconds is a huge relief!

rtitmuss
2007-11-11, 12:55
Quick question.... When docked, is the screen supposed to dim to 0% immediately? Currently, I hear the docking sound chime, and the screen does dim to about 99% of full brightness, a barely noticeable difference, then eventually, it dims to 0% after a minute or so. Is this correct or is it supposed to dim to 0% the second it's docked?[/QUOTE]

It dims to 25% of full brightness when docked, and then turns off after a minute. The key backlights turn off immediately. Do you have your display set to full brightness?

Richard

greebowarrior
2007-11-12, 02:54
but now i can't see my flickr now playing screensaver :(

edit: never mind, found the means to disable it

Craig
2007-11-12, 04:13
I'm seeing it still dim even when dim while charging is unchecked. I usually have it on now playing and I can't see a thing.

Craig