PDA

View Full Version : Problem with SB2 remote.

hirschaj
2007-11-09, 16:57
My remote can only power on/off my SB2 any more. Does anyone know if the SB3 remote will work with the SB2?

radish
2007-11-09, 20:29
Yes, the SB3 remote will work fine with the SB2. But can you describe the problem a little more?...someone may be able to help to get it working again.

hirschaj
2007-11-10, 06:28
Thanks for the reply radish. The problem is that one day my remote could only power on/off the SB. After messing around for a while it appears that the Power button and the skip forward/back buttons are the only ones working.

Everything is still easily controlled through the web interface but I also want the remote to work.

I don't believe I made any changes between the time the remote was working and when it broke but info that is only as good as my memory.

ceejay
2007-11-10, 06:42
hope you don't mind a silly question but - have you tried changing the batteries?

Ceejay

hirschaj
2007-11-10, 06:53
hope you don't mind a silly question but - have you tried changing the batteries?

Ceejay

Not a silly question at all. Yes, I changed the batteries.

Fifer
2007-11-10, 11:06
Some other silly questions.

Is there a clear line of sight between the remote and the SB IR sensor?
Does the remote work if you hold it very close to the SB (about six inches away with nothing but air between them)?
Is the front of the SB clean (nothing is obscuring the IR sensor)?
Is the IR emitter on the front of the remote clean?

peterw
2007-11-10, 12:23
Is the IR diode/emitter loose? Another customer posted that his remote started behaving strangely & the cause seemed to be the IR diode having come a bit loose from the circuit board.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=188552&postcount=57

hirschaj
2007-11-10, 13:49
Is the IR diode/emitter loose? Another customer posted that his remote started behaving strangely & the cause seemed to be the IR diode having come a bit loose from the circuit board.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=188552&postcount=57

This was exactly the problem!!! I opened up the remote and sure enough the solder was cracked on one contact point of the IR bulb. Thanks for the help all!

hirschaj
2007-11-11, 08:05
Just to follow up...I re-soldered both contacts this morning as they both had cracks. The remote works perfectly again. Thanks to everyone who helped me out here. This community is another great reason to own a SqueezeBox.

ceepan
2007-12-11, 00:40
I'll look into this. Can somebody please advise where the clips are located to get into the PCB?

Thanks,
Paul