PDA

View Full Version : Windows Home Server for SlimServer?

stevethornley
2007-11-08, 16:04
Hello everyone.

I'm planning my home network, was going to have an old pc running XP but am interested in the new Windows Home Server release. Does anyone have experience of using this with a Squeezebox running slimserver or can anyone suggest any reason why this might not work or, indeed, why it could be preferable to running a full-blown OS.

Many thanks. Great forum... keep it up!

Steve

mherger
2007-11-08, 22:57
> have experience of using this with a Squeezebox running slimserver or
> can anyone suggest any reason why this might not work or, indeed, why
> it could be preferable to running a full-blown OS.

We've had positive reports. Should work, no problem.

Michael

byKnight
2007-11-09, 05:51
I've been running SlimServer on WHS to serve up two Squeezeboxes since the early beta stages of WHS.

It just works. Haven't had to do anything special.

And by keeping my music on the WHS, and setting the Music folders to "Duplicated," I know that when I do lose a hard drive in the server, I've still got all my music intact.

stevethornley
2007-11-23, 14:51
Thanks guys - that's good news.

Forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question... but do I run SlimServer alongside WHS? My knowledge of WHS is based on a 'not particularly in-depth' artice in PC-Pro magazine, so I'm largely in the dark here... but my understanding was that WHS is like a mini operating system and took over all your server duties... so does slimserver run alongside this? And if so, how... and will I have to boost the CPU and RAM suggestions from Microsoft if it's effectively running WHS and SlimServer simultaneously?

I appreciate it will probably be a case of suck it and see, but any advice from someone who's done it will certainly help! From what I can see of WHS it looks to be just the ticket... particularly the automatic back-up feature.

Thanks so much.

Steve

JJZolx
2007-11-23, 15:13
Forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question... but do I run SlimServer alongside WHS? My knowledge of WHS is based on a 'not particularly in-depth' artice in PC-Pro magazine, so I'm largely in the dark here... but my understanding was that WHS is like a mini operating system and took over all your server duties... so does slimserver run alongside this?

Not really a "mini" operating system. It's a version of Windows, like XP or Vista. Actually, it's derived from Windows Server 2003. In addition to the underlying operating system, Microsoft has added software such as a headless server management interface, disk fault tolerance, and backup tools.

SlimServer runs "on" or "under" this operating system, in the same way it runs on a Windows XP or Windows Vista desktop computer.

And if so, how... and will I have to boost the CPU and RAM suggestions from Microsoft if it's effectively running WHS and SlimServer simultaneously?

Just about any CPU they recommend will be fine, but you do get increasingly better performance from SlimServer on faster machines. Bumping the memory to 1GB would probably be a good idea (from the recommended 512MB), and it can never hurt to add more.

stevethornley
2007-11-24, 15:41
You guys never fail to amaze and delight me ;) Thanks so much for your advice. I know exactly what to do now... just watch for the posts when I've got all my wires in a tangle. Question now is just how many Squeezeboxes to order!

A miliion thank yous.

Steve