PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled At Work

Mike Meyer
2007-11-08, 13:07
I've been able to listen to my music from work up until a couple weeks ago. At that point I swapped out routers for a day and then put the old one back. The external IP address is now different than it was before so maybe my work is blocking a certain IP range??? I can still connect via softsqueeze and listen to internet radio stations but as soon as I play one of my own files it just sits there, no sound, song doesn't appear to start. It actually posts the song to Last.fm so it must think it's doing something.

I can't bring up slimserver in the browser anymore either so maybe port 9000 is blocked? Moose and softsqueeze still connect fine.

Is there a way to go back to my old IP address that was working?

Thanks for any ideas!!

JJZolx
2007-11-08, 14:39
I've been able to listen to my music from work up until a couple weeks ago. At that point I swapped out routers for a day and then put the old one back. The external IP address is now different than it was before so maybe my work is blocking a certain IP range??? I can still connect via softsqueeze and listen to internet radio stations but as soon as I play one of my own files it just sits there, no sound, song doesn't appear to start. It actually posts the song to Last.fm so it must think it's doing something.

I can't bring up slimserver in the browser anymore either so maybe port 9000 is blocked? Moose and softsqueeze still connect fine.

Have you changed the IP address in the Softsqueeze setup to the new one? Unless you're using some kind of dynamic DNS system that can pick up the IP address change, then you must be connecting directly by the IP address of your router.

Also, is your router redirecting the outside IP address to the internal IP address of your SlimSerer? If so, check the router's configuration and see if there's a rule in there somewhere that specifically contained the old IP address.

Is there a way to go back to my old IP address that was working?

Not likely. If it's a home connection, then it's assigned dynamically by your ISP via DHCP. Someone else probably has your old IP address right now.

Mike Meyer
2007-11-08, 18:15
Thanks for the reply Jim.

Yes, I have changed the IP address in Softsqueeze and that connects fine. So does Moose. I have also changed the port forwarding on my router too so that is set up OK. It's just weird that certain things are connecting fine but others don't. I also can't even ping my new external IP address from work. So I'm not sure how I'm even getting Softsqueeze to connect in order to play the internet radio stations.

Working:
Softsqueeze connects, plays internet radio.
Moose

Not working:
Softsqueeze won't play music from my library
Can't bring up slimserver in browser
Can't ping home IP address

I was thinking that maybe a port was blocked but ping doesn't hit a specific port. What would be the difference between playing a file and playing an internet station? I'm puzzled.

JJZolx
2007-11-08, 18:27
Yes, I have changed the IP address in Softsqueeze and that connects fine. So does Moose. I have also changed the port forwarding on my router too so that is set up OK. It's just weird that certain things are connecting fine but others don't.

I always had flakey problems with SoftSqueeze (don't use it much any more). Time to start rebooting stuff, particularly at the client machine. Reboot your work PC. Reboot your SlimServer. Even reboot your router.

bernt
2007-11-09, 02:16
From home to work streaming, Hamachi is the best solution.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/list.asp

It just don't get any easier.

No, I'm not working for Hamachi. ;)

Mike Meyer
2007-11-09, 08:00
From home to work streaming, Hamachi is the best solution.

Hamachi looks very interesting. I'll give it a try and see if that fixes my problem. Thanks!

Mike Meyer
2007-11-30, 07:52
Just wanted to say thanks for the Hamachi recommendation. It's been working great for the past few weeks. I had to switch to Winamp (from Softsqueeze) but that wasn't a big deal.

I've got my tunes back! :)