PDA

View Full Version : Wireless experts out there? I need help

MUCHO
2007-11-08, 10:45
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot.

I have a Linksys 54GL flashed with Hyperwrt Firmware Version: v4.71.1, Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c. I have the transmit power turned up to 67 mW which I've read is a safe range. I have the extended range antenna. I'm using WPA security. It is about 1.5 years old.

The last couple weeks the signal has gotten flaky. I can't count of keeping a signal anymore. It used to work solid with signal glitches being rare. Now, they happen on a very fequent basis. How can I tell if my router is dying?

I have a huge number of signals in the area competing - I've read channels 1 6 and 11 are the only ones to use and all three have strong signals. I've attached a scan of the surrounding traffic.

I'm not opposed to buying a new router but I don't want to waste money if I don't need to.

If I do buy a router - please suggest one for me.

Squid
2007-11-08, 10:56
Have you tried unplugging the router for a few minutes ? Maybe it was running hot and got unstable ? I've seen weirder problems than yours, where the solution was simply a reboot or power-off/cooldown.
If your router is really broken, I would just look for another 54GL. They are excellent boxes, especially with all the great firmware you find on the web (I have two running dd-wrt) and you already will be familiar with them and be able to set them up in no time.

PS: that's quite some wireless activity in your neighborhood. BTW, I would use channel 1 (if you're not already using it). Not only are there only two others using it as well, but it is also supposed to give least interference with other wireless devices such as phones.

MUCHO
2007-11-08, 12:17
Yea - I've rebooted, unplugged, etc.

I'm going to try to reflash and clear the memory. Those are only the computers that are on 24/7. You should see the traffic later today!

MUCHO
2007-11-14, 23:01
I ended up solving my problem. First I decided perhaps it was getting too hot since it is on 24/7 and I have been upping the power so I opened it up and put some heatsinks on the 2 chips that were warm to the touch. Unfortunately somehow this process killed the router - so I now have a Trendnet draft N router that was $29.95 after rebate and without any hacks or extended range antenna I'm getting 6-10% better signal on the squeezeboxes.