PDA

View Full Version : Mac 10.5 Firewall ports

justlen
2007-11-08, 09:28
Hello;

I am running 10.5, and the new application based firewall is set to "Set access for specific services and applications". When I started the Slim Server it asked me if I wanted to allow inbound access for:

mysqld
perl
mDNSResponderPosix

Which one of these needs inbound access for my Squeezeboxes to access the server? I'd like to keep my open connections as minimal as possible.

Thanks;

Len

SteveCresswell
2007-11-08, 13:25
Hi Len

I just allowed all these to have inbound access. MySQLd I think is the database that holds all the track info and playlists. The SB needs to talk to this database in order to fill up the buffer and play what you want it to play.

Perl kicks in when the library is scanned for new music. It probably does all sorts of other stuff too.

MDNSResponder is the stuff that enables the Bonjour networking to see your SB over the network so that you can access the server from another computer eg a laptop without having to type in an ip address localhost:9000.

So in short I think you'll need them all.

justlen
2007-11-08, 13:45
Thanks for the info.

Oddly, SlimServer no longer automatically starts after a reboot. I wonder if it's similar to an issue I had with my Indigo home automation server, where the 10.5 permissions for launchd were hosed.

SteveCresswell
2007-11-08, 14:59
Thanks for the info.

Oddly, SlimServer no longer automatically starts after a reboot. I wonder if it's similar to an issue I had with my Indigo home automation server, where the 10.5 permissions for launchd were hosed.

If you change the SlimServer preference to start on login rather than start on boot it will start automatically once again. Not ideal but it worked for me.
Steve