PDA

View Full Version : boombox recommendations?



Jason Holtzapple
2004-01-23, 10:00
I want to buy a squeezebox / boombox combination for my
daughter.

I found the Sony CFD-G70 which looks pretty good. I'm
wondering if anyone else on the list is using a boombox with
their squeezebox/slimp3 and if they had any recommendations.

My requirements are:

1) aux audio in (analog or digital)
2) cd player
3) am/fm radio
4) it doesn't look like a garish artifact from an 80s sci-fi flick

cd based mp3 playback and an alarm would be a bonus.

It seems most bookshelf units but few boomboxes have an
auxilary in. Bookshelf units are out unless they have attachable
speakers for easy portability.

Thanks!
--Jason

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. Try it!
http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/

dean
2004-01-23, 10:10
I have a Sony boombox (older model) and found that it picks up RF
interference and amplifies it quite efficiently and audibly. Can't
recommend.

On Jan 23, 2004, at 9:00 AM, Jason Holtzapple wrote:

> I want to buy a squeezebox / boombox combination for my
> daughter.
>
> I found the Sony CFD-G70 which looks pretty good. I'm
> wondering if anyone else on the list is using a boombox with
> their squeezebox/slimp3 and if they had any recommendations.
>
> My requirements are:
>
> 1) aux audio in (analog or digital)
> 2) cd player
> 3) am/fm radio
> 4) it doesn't look like a garish artifact from an 80s sci-fi flick
>
> cd based mp3 playback and an alarm would be a bonus.
>
> It seems most bookshelf units but few boomboxes have an
> auxilary in. Bookshelf units are out unless they have attachable
> speakers for easy portability.
>
> Thanks!
> --Jason
>
> __________________________________
> Do you Yahoo!?
> Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. Try it!
> http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
>

Ron Thigpen
2004-01-23, 10:25
when it is playing from a source internal to the boombox, or when it is
playing from a connected external source?

if from an external source, the RF may be getting into unshielded RCA
cables. in that case, it's not really a fault in the boombox.

--rt

dean blackketter wrote:

> I have a Sony boombox (older model) and found that it picks up RF
> interference and amplifies it quite efficiently and audibly. Can't
> recommend.

dean
2004-01-23, 13:48
All sources, including the built-in CD player. Very annoying. We even
went through two units and both had the same problem...

On Jan 23, 2004, at 9:25 AM, Ron Thigpen wrote:

> when it is playing from a source internal to the boombox, or when it
> is playing from a connected external source?
>
> if from an external source, the RF may be getting into unshielded RCA
> cables. in that case, it's not really a fault in the boombox.
>
> --rt
>
> dean blackketter wrote:
>
>> I have a Sony boombox (older model) and found that it picks up RF
>> interference and amplifies it quite efficiently and audibly. Can't
>> recommend.
>
>