PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Libraries

frames
2007-11-06, 13:47
I know this has been mentioned here before - I just wanted to know, will Slimserver 7 be able to handle multiple libraries?

This is such an important feature. For example, I have my complete music collection on an external hard drive, and only a selection on my notebook. I want to be able to easily switch between the libraries, depending on whether the external hard drive is connected or not.

The suggestion of linking from one folder to the other does not apply here, because then I would have duplicate files in my Slimserver file list.

I know that there are many people out there that have a setup just like mine (after all, laptop hard disc space is limited and besides, you always want to maintain a good backup, right?). Many of them complained in Apple forums, so now multiple libraries is included in Itunes 7. When will SlimServer follow...?

Philip Meyer
2007-11-06, 16:53
>I know this has been mentioned here before - I just wanted to know, will
>Slimserver 7 be able to handle multiple libraries?
>
No, SqueezeCenter 7 will not handle multiple libraries as standard. It doesn't even support multiple configured music paths yet either (only via links/shortcuts). But you will get a new webUI with funky colours.

But do not dispair - there is a third party plugin that adds multi-library functionality, that I find works really well. There is a 6.5 version and 7.0 version.

Phil

frames
2007-11-07, 00:43
But do not dispair - there is a third party plugin that adds multi-library functionality, that I find works really well. There is a 6.5 version and 7.0 version.
Phil

You're probably referring to Erlands Plugin, am I right? I haven't tried his 'Multi Library Plugin', because it wouldn't solve my problem: as far as I can see, it only lets you define sublibraries within the one and only music folder you have. I am talking about different libraries in separate folders (on different hard discs).

Shouldn't be too hard to implement?

Philip Meyer
2007-11-07, 01:27
>You're probably referring to Erlands Plugin, am I right?
>
Yes.

> I haven't
>tried his 'Multi Library Plugin', because it wouldn't solve my problem:
>as far as I can see, it only lets you define sublibraries within the one
>and only music folder you have. I am talking about different libraries
>in separate folders (on different hard discs).
>
Correct. Although what I do is I have one folder that I point the music folder path to. Inside that, I have shortcuts to each user library folder. Hence, the normal slimserver library contains all music for all user accounts.

Then I use Multi Library plugin to define libraries for each person, etc.

>Shouldn't be too hard to implement?
>
No, I am suprised that something hasn't been done officially to support multiple music paths inside the software (rather than depending on OS shortcuts), and supporting multi user libraries, especially as various official plugins allow multiple internet radio accounts to be set up.

Phil

dminches
2007-11-22, 06:00
Speaking of shortcuts, slimserver's library points to the music on my ReadyNAS, designated as drive T:. I placed a shortcut in the root of T to point to a local drive (F:) on my PC. However, slimserver does not seem to recognize it since none of the music files on F: end up in my library. Shouldn't this work? If not, do I have to set up a dummy local folder with shortcuts to all my music?