quite impressive) from all other angles, even below. Some kind of
upward polarlising thing I guess..

I'd have thought that being viewed from above would be the most
important angle though, since for most people that's how they'd see
it when it's in the cradle. Is there a filter in front of the display which
could be rotated ?

Another solution might be a couple of extra display themes with
contrasting colour. I found the pea green one was the only one which
kept the text readable for my setup - but pea green ?

Anyone else noticed this ?

--
- Dr Lovegrove
http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove
http://groups.google.com/group/moosenews

cliveb
2007-11-06, 08:18
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I noticed that the JHB
display is quite hard to read when viewed from above, but fine (actually
quite impressive) from all other angles, even below. Some kind of
upward polarlising thing I guess..
I hadn't ever noticed this, but your posting prompted me to check it out, and my JHB is the same. Can't say it bothers me, though.

I found the pea green one was the only one which kept the text readable for my setup - but pea green ?
I'm with you on this - the pea green wallpaper is pretty disgusting. I've settled on "concrete" as the best compromise for readability and tastefulness.

schiegl
2008-03-29, 15:37
Hi,

does anybody know if the behavior described is somewhat device dependent? (i.e not all SBCs are equal concerning the angle of view on the display). Any workarounds available?

I've configured the block-clock as standby screensaver. It displays white numbers on a black background. There are no problems if viewed from almost 90 from the left, the right and below. But viewing from above works until about 15 (calculated with a yard stick and my eyes :-), above this point the letters are darker than the background. This applies to other display content too (result: mostly miscolored), using the block-clock it's just so easy to see (first white on black then black on white)

As mentioned by Dr Lovegrove this is especially visible if the controller sits in its cradle on my table...

kind regards,
Markus

radish
2008-03-29, 15:41
I seem to remember reading that this was intentional, there had to be a bad angle and it was decided that above was the least offensive, based on the idea that most of the time you would be holding it out in front of you like a remote and thus looking at it from below.