PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer/SB3 stuck on "Stopped"

Face
2007-11-04, 16:51
Hi,

I have had a search through these forums and ,whilst some other threads are similar, I haven't been able to find a solution to my problem.

Basically, today goes like this.

Done a fresh install of Mac OS 10.4.10.
Installed SlimServer 6.5.5.
Had some success and had music playing.
Paused a song - SB3 (on wireless network) displays Stopped.

And now I can't get any music to play - I just get the "Problem: Can't open file for xxx" - which my searching has suggested that this means the music has moved, or it's path has changed... but it hasn't!

I've reinstalled the firmware (v81), tried downgrading to 6.5.4, redone a complete music scan (all music managed by iTunes 7.4) and reset to factory defaults and re-added the SB3. Yesterday, before the reinstall, it was working fine!

SlimServer on the Mac server can "see" all the music still (as can iTunes) as I can click through the albums, but in the right-hand side of the screen the Music Player says Stopped and I cannot get it to play.

The SB3 can navigate it's way through all the music by artist, album etc but just won't play anything.

If someone could please spare the time to help me sort this problem out, I would be most grateful. I've got a feeling I've overlooked something VERY simple/obvious here :-)

Many thanks,

Face

Face
2007-11-05, 10:11
Hi again,

Just wondered if anybody had had any ideas regarding my problem? It certainly seems that there are currently a lot of SB3 issues at the moment. Maybe this is to do with all that.

If no-one is able to help, does anyone have any ideas about where else to ask for help?

Many thanks,

Face

snarlydwarf
2007-11-05, 10:57
Just wondered if anybody had had any ideas regarding my problem? It certainly seems that there are currently a lot of SB3 issues at the moment. Maybe this is to do with all that.

Did the permissions on the file change? Is it local to your server or shared from another machine? Is the server running as your login or as its own id? Does that id have permission to access the music files?

(And at this point, I have no idea how MacOS works.. it may be Unix underneath, but its been friendlified enough to confuse me.)

I don't know what you mean about 'a lot of SB3 issues at the moment' though. Rememeber that 99% of people never post, "Hey I got another SB and it works fine" sorts of things. So interpreting whether there is a general "issue" or not is impossible with the data set you and I have.

If no-one is able to help, does anyone have any ideas about where else to ask for help?

At the top of this page, click the 'support' link for the email and phone number of the support staff... they are quite good from what I hear. It sounds to me like a permissions issue: changing permissions on any directory "above" your music directory could break things, as well as running the server under a different userid than before.