PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Analogue Output

MikeOB
2007-11-04, 15:32
There seems to be debate about the quality of the audio output of the squeezebox - anybody got any comment to make. Are we talking about the finest ears here or are we talking about poor sound quality. Not trying to be funny just don't wish to buy a pup.

Mike

peejay
2007-11-04, 15:57
There seems to be debate about the quality of the audio output of the squeezebox - anybody got any comment to make. Are we talking about the finest ears here or are we talking about poor sound quality. Not trying to be funny just don't wish to buy a pup.

Mike

If it sounds OK to you then it's OK. The SB engineers, as far as it is reasonable to expect for a product at that price point have squeezed - no pun intended - as much out of the design to give as pleasing a result as possible, I expect. Low noise floor, good dynamic range and low distortion figures. Others will disagree, but realise that this sort of question will draw a long list of subjective listeners' opinions and more objective proof points out of the wood-work. Post this same question on the audiophile's forum, put on your flame-proof body suit and stand back.....

ceejay
2007-11-04, 16:09

Mike

You can really only answer a question like this in relation to the price of the unit: compare it with a CD player, say, of the same price. Against one of those, IMHO, the SB3 stands up very well. Against a much more expensive unit, you shouldn't expect too much.

So - how much did you pay for your CD player?

Ceejay

dcote
2007-11-13, 05:20
my *subjective* opinion on the analogue outputs?

very good. close to excellent/fantastic. 8-9 out of 10.

my criterion?

i can listen to my SB3 + tube amp combo for hours. low volume and high volume. sounds great for background music and is fabulous for active listening. very enjoyable experience. i actually take time to sit and listen to my music now.

is my tube amp "analogifying" the sound? damn right it is... ;-)
digital source, (hard core ;-) analog amplification is the way to go if you ask me.

personally, i believe other factors are more important to the sound quality:
1. music format: lossy vs. lossless
2. encoder used for lossy music and its settings
3. amp and speakers used

Rick B.
2007-11-13, 07:18
My foot taps a lot more often now with my SB - my criterea for good sound! I really think that using EAC to get a perfect rip and then leasurely spooling it from my hard drive makes for better sound. Call me crazy - I love it.

slimpy
2007-11-13, 09:17
That debate is almost always fought out in the audiophile forum.
Compared to other streaming devices in the consumer market the sound quality of the squeezebox is very good.
It certainly isn't a pup.
Keep in mind that sound quality first of all depends on the music files. There's no need to debate about sound quality if you feed it low bitrate mp3s.

-s.

iPhone
2007-11-13, 10:41
As the others have said, Sound is Subjective to the listener's ears. That being said, my opinion is the sound from the SB3 is pretty good especially after one considers the cost. The other consideration is what is the SB3 being asked to do i.e. is it the source for a $100K amp and speaker system with a $15000 DAC/Transport for CD playback or is it driving a pair of nice powered speakers or a nice separates system under $5000? If your experience with digital stored music to date is an iPod, the SB3 should blow you away with its analog output (it did for me) and remember it has digital outs also that can be used with a DAC or AV Processor. Additionally, I liked what the SB3 did for my music so much that I replaced it in my main system (not a 100K but still 30K{retail, I buy used}in speakers, mono blocks, and pre-amp) with a Transporter and was wowed again. The SB3 moved to the upstairs living room system (about 9K brought up from downstairs after upgrades in the Media Room) and I bought another SB3 for the component system in the bedroom (made from components upgraded in the living room).

Lastly, donít ask the SB3 to play your iPod MP3s and expect to be blown away. It should sound better because your not using ear buds, but give the SB3 what it needs: Lossless. It is well worth the time to rip some type of Lossless (I prefer FLAC) Format. And a hint if you do not have a large amount of HD storage, just rip the songs you like to FLAC. If you bought a CD for two songs and after hearing the whole CD, that is all you still liked, just rip those two songs if hard drive space is limited.

gw43
2007-11-28, 06:15

Mike

I found the SB3 to be excellent - I had a CD player, Arcam Alpha 7SE that was indistinguishable from the Arcam CD73, and I would have had to spend £1,000 to significantly better. The SB3 is better, in terms of clarity, detail and separation. So much so I sold the CD player, and wouldn't contemplate going back to putting CDs into little trays!

My SB3 goes via the analogue outs into an Arcam A85 amp, then on to Monitor Audio GR10 speakers - not high end, but decent mid range stuff I think.

In summary, I'm delighted with it.

Fifer
2007-11-28, 07:09
The SB2/SB3 is certainly no pup. The quality of the analogue outputs is excellent at its price point. I'm not aware of any better streaming digital source for close to that money and it holds its head up amongst the majority of digital sources of any kind at around that price.

goldstarsteve@gmail.com
2007-11-28, 08:46
I found the SB3 to be excellent - I had a CD player, Arcam Alpha 7SE that was indistinguishable from the Arcam CD73, and I would have had to spend £1,000 to significantly better. The SB3 is better, in terms of clarity, detail and separation. So much so I sold the CD player, and wouldn't contemplate going back to putting CDs into little trays!

My SB3 goes via the analogue outs into an Arcam A85 amp, then on to Monitor Audio GR10 speakers - not high end, but decent mid range stuff I think.

In summary, I'm delighted with it.

Off topic the trigger for me to buy the SB (a few weeks ago) was that my 7SE was having great problems playing burned disks and the music on my PC was hard to get to because of that. As a beginner my impressions are that the sound is exellent but you may have to spend a lot of time to set up the wireless if you want to use it that way.

gw43
2007-11-29, 06:17
Off topic the trigger for me to buy the SB (a few weeks ago) was that my 7SE was having great problems playing burned disks and the music on my PC was hard to get to because of that. As a beginner my impressions are that the sound is exellent but you may have to spend a lot of time to set up the wireless if you want to use it that way.

I started with wireless, and it was generally ok, and set up , including using WPA security was a breeze. However, I suffered from interference from time to time, so eventually tried Homeplugs - brilliant!

thomsens
2007-11-29, 09:41

Mike

Does a regular CD player sound good to you on your system? If so, then the SB is great. If you have a system or the ears to complain about different CD players, etc., then it's an interesting question. The SB is a serious audio device - not just another OEM product that a computer company pumped out. If your system or ears are very discerning, then the TP is great. It would be nice to have an in-between for folks with "good" systems, but the SB would do fine for that too. But given what the technology enables, anyone with a good or better system should consider the TP in my book. Given it allows you access to your entire digital collection at a very high quality, it's a relative bargain. The only knock is that you can get so close with the much cheaper SB. Sound quality is generally not a key reason to avoid the SB.

JT-I
2007-12-01, 12:26
I run an Arcam solo and Monitor Audio Silver RS6 Speakers with appropriate interconnects for a £1,600/$3,200 system. Lossless files played through this system via the SB3 analogue outputs are indistinguishable in quality from CDs.

Obviously this is not a high end system, but most visitors to my house comment on how good it sounds. Needless to say I am very happy with my Squeezebox.

auronthas
2007-12-01, 16:17
I run an Arcam solo and Monitor Audio Silver RS6 Speakers with appropriate interconnects for a £1,600/$3,200 system. Lossless files played through this system via the SB3 analogue outputs are indistinguishable in quality from CDs.

Obviously this is not a high end system, but most visitors to my house comment on how good it sounds. Needless to say I am very happy with my Squeezebox.

Glad to hear that! Good or bad is subjective, as long as you like the music produced by your system. Cheers.