PDA

View Full Version : Left and right channel reversal

Acme
2007-11-04, 12:32
I use SlimServer version 6.5.4 with a Logitech SqueezeBox.

The left and right channel are reversed. And it is the case with both, analog and digital output.

I use WAV files only.

Am I alone with this problem ?

Is there something that I can try to fix the problem ...

Thank you in advance for any help.

Acme
2007-11-04, 15:39
I did more testing this afternoon.

I have the problem with few albums only.

And it does not seem to be intermittent.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-04, 15:45

Then there seems to be something wrong with your ripping process.

How do you know the channels are reversed?

Acme
2007-11-04, 20:40
I use EAC with no-compression. I use wav files only.

I use my SB3 with a DAC.

If I put the problematic recording in my cd player and I use my DAC I can clearly hear the 'reverse' between left and right when I switch digital input from the the SB3 to my cd player.

peejay
2007-11-04, 21:24
I did more testing this afternoon.

And it does not seem to be intermittent.

Do these albums have any commonality? HDCD logos for example - not a likely cause, I expect, but I'd be looking for something in common with the recordings. As both WAV and CD Redbook formats are PCM, which interleaves the L/R channel information, it is unlikely a corruption during ripping, as EAC would pick this up, *hopefully*. Unless you can configure EAC to swap left and right channels on purpose....I'm not sure if this is possible.
Try ripping them again?

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-04, 21:56
I use EAC with no-compression. I use wav files only.

Not sure this is relevant. You are aware that lossless compression like FLAC only compresses the data, not the audio?

I was probably wrong to pinpoint the ripping process, but the SB3 can no more flip channels on certain albums only than your CD player can. If it did do it, it would do it all the time.

JJZolx
2007-11-04, 22:52
I'd suggest also listening to the same music files on a computer to figure out for sure if the reversal is within the data files or within the playback stream. I would expect that it has to be in the data, but couldn't say how it happened.

Acme
2007-11-05, 06:28
Thank you for the suggestion.

It is reverse if played on a PC.

So the problem came from the ripping process.

The faulty recording is
http://www.amazon.com/Dvor%C3%A1k-Concerto-Tchaikovsky-Karajan-Rostropovich/dp/B000001GQ8

Any suggestion to detect this type of problem ...

Acme
2007-11-16, 17:51
The problem seems to be the DVD-RAM on my PC.

If I play the problematic recording on my PC with WindowsMediaPlayer ... it is reverse !

Nothing wrong with EAC then.

The DVD-RAM player that I use is LG 20 Super-Multi LigthScrib DL (GSA-H55-L) ...

Any suggestion ...

peejay
2007-11-16, 23:51
The problem seems to be the DVD-RAM on my PC.

If I play the problematic recording on my PC with WindowsMediaPlayer ... it is reverse !

Nothing wrong with EAC then.

The DVD-RAM player that I use is LG 20 Super-Multi LigthScrib DL (GSA-H55-L) ...

Any suggestion ...

Replace the drive?

Acme
2007-11-17, 09:05
Replace the drive?

About a replacement, do you think that I should add a basic cd-rom player (and keep the other player for DVD stuff and writing) ?

Is there an advantage to go with a basic cd-rom player (I use EAC) ?

Acme
2007-11-18, 09:13
Problem solved, I bought a basic LG CD-ROM drive.

And there is one advantage ... the extraction time performance is 50% better ...

Very strange that the problem was limited only to DeutscheGramaphone CD !