PDA

View Full Version : Skipping folders for import

sciurius
2007-11-03, 15:00
Basically, there are two ways to browse through the music collection: using the database (Browse Artist, Album, ...) and by browsing the music folder (Browse Music Folder).

Now, I have some (sub)folders in my music folder that I use for transient music. I can browse these folders, but I do not want their contents to be stored in the database.

Is there a way to prevent certain folders from being scanned into the database? Seems a simple modification, but it is always better to ask before reinventing the wheel.

My apologies if this is a FAQ, my searches have not been able to find this topic in the forum archives.

radish
2007-11-03, 16:35
Not that I know of. Browsing to a folder with items not already in the DB will cause them to be added. Of course, if they go away then next time there's a scan they'll be removed.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-04, 10:30
I'd put them outside your music folder.

Under normal circumstances, SS won't see them.

When you want to see them, simply make a shortcut to those folders inside your music folder and re-scan (or just browse to it). When you've had enough of that, delete the shortcut or even move the shortcut to the temporary folders for re-use later.

I do this for Christmas music.

sciurius
2007-11-14, 08:08
I developed a small patch to SlimServer. With this patch, SlimServer will ignore directories that contain a file named '.slimskip'.
I use it to hide directories from the scanner, while they are still browsable manually. For example, directories that contain unsorted music, or other things that I do not want to go into the database.
You can find the patch here: http://johan.vromans.org/software/sw_slimserver.html