PDA

View Full Version : Slave device

Gibbo
2007-11-03, 10:04
Would it not be a great idea for slim / logitech to have a squeezebox slave unit that was cheaper than the squeezebox, that didn't have the interface at the unit, and could just be controlled by SS or by being sync'd with a SB.

My problem is I want to be able to have the music on my SB (in my lounge) playing in my kitchen, but want to or need the full functionality that a SB would give me, and I can't really afford to buy another one.

On the same topic can I split the phono output to 2 outputs with something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218473&&source=14&doy=3m11 in each phono output? and run one to my amp and aother to a T-amp or something in the kitchen?

would a splitter affect the quality? stupid idea? any options?

Help?

funkstar
2007-11-03, 11:01
SD/Logitec do not comment on un released hardware. But with the Jive remote that is under development, there is a lot more scope for a 'slave' device. this has been spoken about by myself and some others in a couple of threads.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it, but it does fall into the 'possible' pile imho :)

As for splitting the stereo signal, i don't think there will be a problem with that. I'm sure others will chip in their thoughts though.

peterw
2007-11-03, 11:22
Would it not be a great idea for slim / logitech to have a squeezebox slave unit that was cheaper than the squeezebox, that didn't have the interface at the unit, and could just be controlled by SS or by being sync'd with a SB.

My problem is I want to be able to have the music on my SB (in my lounge) playing in my kitchen, but want to or need the full functionality that a SB would give me, and I can't really afford to buy another one.

Used SliMP3, Squeezebox1, SqueezeboxG?

Hauppauge MediaMVP running MVPMC?

IIUC, Roku also has some hardware that can use SlimServer/SqueezeCenter, but it seems they've dropped support for that, so I'd steer clear of Roku. Plus, you know, they're much more direct competition for Slim/Logitech streaming media than Hauppauge is.

upstatemike
2007-11-03, 12:53

On the same topic can I split the phono output to 2 outputs with something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218473&&source=14&doy=3m11 in each phono output? and run one to my amp and aother to a T-amp or something in the kitchen?

would a splitter affect the quality? stupid idea? any options?

Help?

Splitting the output of your Squeezebox will not hurt the quality assuming your amplifiers are decent. My basement Squeezebox output is split into 2 amplifiers feeding 4 sets of speakers with no problems.

peter
2007-11-03, 13:53
funkstar wrote:
> SD/Logitec do not comment on un released hardware. But with the Jive
> remote that is under development, there is a lot more scope for a
> 'slave' device. this has been spoken about by myself and some others in
> a couple of threads.
>

Yep, that makes sense.

> I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it, but it does fall into the
> 'possible' pile imho :)
>
> As for splitting the stereo signal, i don't think there will be a
> problem with that. I'm sure others will chip in their thoughts though.
>

There's an interesting bit in the Jive software. If you choose setup
player from the menu it instructs you to press the button on the front
of the SqueezeBox. Apparently the SB4 has a front button!

Regards,
Peter

funkstar
2007-11-03, 23:22
There's an interesting bit in the Jive software. If you choose setup
player from the menu it instructs you to press the button on the front
of the SqueezeBox. Apparently the SB4 has a front button!

Or another device that *compliments* the SB3 and transporter :)

peter
2007-11-04, 00:21
funkstar wrote:
> Peter;239954 Wrote:
>
>> There's an interesting bit in the Jive software. If you choose setup
>> player from the menu it instructs you to press the button on the front
>>
>> of the SqueezeBox. Apparently the SB4 has a front button!
>>
>>
> Or another device that *compliments* the SB3 and transporter :)
>

Could well be. Perhaps it hasn't got a display and an IR interface, just
a big red button on the front. Then you'd have to use something like the
Jive to set it up perhaps over an unencrypted wifi link to make things
easier. The Jive could just copy the WPA key it already uses for the
link with slimserver, sorry squeezecenter, to the new to be added
squeezebox (or SB-lite) and it could have everything needed to come
online and start playing music.

Peter

Gibbo
2007-11-04, 04:51
Cheers for the replies, guess it could be a case of search ebay for SB1 or something.

aubuti
2007-11-04, 05:01
Splitting the output of your Squeezebox will not hurt the quality assuming your amplifiers are decent.
And provided that the distance you're running the splitter cable isn't too long. That's an unbalanced line level signal, and if the cable runs more than 2 meters or so there's a good chance it will pick up interference and you'll get a low frequency hum. So keep the cable run short, and if you can't do that, look into other options like using cat5 + baluns.

Gibbo
2007-11-04, 05:15
usefull to know. the cable to my amp is 0.5M, the one i'd be running to the kitchen would be +10M, and not nearly as good a quality one as the one I have to my amp.

maybe another SB is the best option as I get the impression from a quick google that cat5 and baluns isn't going to be all that cheap.

aubuti
2007-11-04, 06:52
I'd recommend another SB. After the cost of the baluns and the inconvenience of pulling the cat5 cable, you still wouldn't have any control of the SB from the kitchen. Get another SB, you won't regret it.

Start watching on eBay, and if you can possibly afford an SB2 or SB3 instead of an SB1, that would also be a good idea. The SB2 and SB3 have bigger buffers, support wifi G, and have other benefits.

Gibbo
2007-11-04, 07:04
I think it is going to be a case of watching ebay.

Cheers

TurnipMan
2007-11-05, 15:34
Another SB will also give you the option to escape to the kitchen and listen to something other than the Wife's James Blunt in the lounge. Keep the door shut too.