PDA

View Full Version : Couple weird things w/ my SB3

dwc
2007-11-01, 00:36
It's after support hours so I thought I'd post. Maybe someone has some ideas.

Couple weird things with my Squeezebox3 in my living room:
firmware 81
wireless network

1. Regardless of whether I have it use DHCP or whether I set an address manually/statically, it claims its IP address is 192.168.0.1.

The dhcp server actually gives it 192.168.0.101, and when it is acquiring the address is shows 101 as acquired, but when you go into "info" it shows 192.168.0.1. It also shows this in the web interface.

Example: The IP address for this player is: 192.168.0.1:36453

[This of course is actually the address of my Linksys router/wireless/dhcp]

2. It thinks my Slimserver's address is 192.168.0.1

When you get to the stage to choose a server, it says

ccc-latitude(192.168.0.1)

but that is -not- the IP of ccc-latitude. The real IP of ccc-latitude is 192.168.0.201, which I set statically. If I let the SB3 try to connect as it wishes, it fails. I have to manually enter 192.168.0.201 every time.

Factory reset did not clear any of this behavior.

Can someone help me with this madness?

Thanks,
Dan

dwc
2007-11-01, 14:28
Update:
After working with support my best guess is that my new wireless router does not offer any local DNS service. So it hands out IP addresses via DHCP, but then does not handle any DNS. It passes on my ISP's dns server IPs to all devices on the lan.

So my best guess is that the "livingroom" player asks DNS for it's own address and gets no response so it just lists the IP of the router. Also the player asks DNS for the IP of the squeezebox and gets no response so it lists the IP of the router for that too.

I still am unsure about this and would appreciate hearing from folks whose wireless dhcp routers do not have any DNS functionality.

Thanks,
Dan

snarlydwarf
2007-11-01, 14:52
Check to make sure the SB didnt get confused about its own MAC address. (Ie, it should start with 00:04:20. If it gets confused, it will almost always lose that part.)

JJZolx
2007-11-01, 15:47
After working with support my best guess is that my new wireless router does not offer any local DNS service. So it hands out IP addresses via DHCP, but then does not handle any DNS. It passes on my ISP's dns server IPs to all devices on the lan.

That's probably the case, although many home routers can act as a DNS forwarder. Forwarders don't do any sort of name resolution, but act as a go-between for DNS, so that clients on the network don't need to talk directly to outside DNS servers. Mostly for isolation and security. In the case of a forwarder, the DHCP server should be configured (it may do this automatically) to hand out the IP address of the router as the DNS server to any DHCP clients.

So my best guess is that the "livingroom" player asks DNS for it's own address and gets no response so it just lists the IP of the router. Also the player asks DNS for the IP of the squeezebox and gets no response so it lists the IP of the router for that too.

I don't think this is the case, however. DNS can't resolve simple names like 'ccc-latitude', 'server1', etc. There would be no reason for a player to ask DNS for its own IP address - it should know its own address. And I'm also certain that players don't use DNS to find the server if it's on the local network.

Something else is going on. Is your network set up as a single subnet of 192.168.0.x with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0?

dwc
2007-11-01, 20:19
Yes it's a simple single subnet, 255.255.255.0 net mask.

I have two SB3's.

Both work fine if you plug the SB's in via the ethernet port.
Both display the same IP issue if you run them wireless. So it has to be something wrong with my wireless setup. I am not sure what the problem is though, still guessing, while trying to get a handle on this linksys firmware.

Thanks,
Dan

JJZolx
2007-11-01, 20:41
Yes it's a simple single subnet, 255.255.255.0 net mask.

I have two SB3's.

Both work fine if you plug the SB's in via the ethernet port.
Both display the same IP issue if you run them wireless. So it has to be something wrong with my wireless setup. I am not sure what the problem is though, still guessing, while trying to get a handle on this linksys firmware.
Have you tried doing a factory reset on the LinkSys? Most home wireless routers work fairly well right out of the box with minimal configuration. Set it for WPA/PSK (if it supports it), set an ssid and password, make sure the subnet is the 192.168.0.x network. The WAN IP address ("wide area network", or "outside" address of the router) is usually had by making the router a DHCP client.

If you set up the router as a DHCP server, make sure that the IP addresses given out through DHCP don't conflict with those of any other computers, servers, or devices that have fixed addresses.

dwc
2007-11-01, 20:56
Thanks Jim,

Looking into the router now. I don't want to factory reset the rounter if I don't have to, but it's not far down the list and the list is getting shorter.

I am one of those guys who pays extra for static IP's even though I am not sure why at this point. :) So my router has a static external IP.

I am going through the wireless settings at this point on the router. The wired LAN works fine, and the SB's are happy when wired, so it seems it has to be something with my new router's wireless.

-Dan

Edit: SD - the mac addy looks right. Thanks.