PDA

View Full Version : iTunes and Slimserver

aguess
2007-10-30, 10:41
Do people have a preferred way of these two working in harmony?

personally, I can't stand iTunes so know little about it but as an IT manager I've introduced a fair amount people into the world of slimservers and slimboxes. Later, they have gone ahead and installed iTunes and are now complaining that they can't see songs where they want them to be etc etc.

So is there a preferred way of setting this up or some best practise guide for using iTunes and Slimserver together?

I've bought a NAS for the guy, which runs slimserver and now I've got to think how I'm going to set this up.

My initial thought is map iTunes to a network drive on the NAS and import all the existing mp3's (about 10000) he's using on his slimserver to the network drive and make that iTunes library and the area that slimserver scans. This should mean in the future when he rip's CD's they go directly into the slimserver area and are rescanned - but does iTune's rip to mp3?

Also, he's downloaded loads of stuff from iTunes itself and I know these arn't mp3, so how do people deal with stuff they've downloaded from iTune's if they want it in their slimserver library?

ceejay
2007-10-30, 10:43
Is this any help? http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToiTunes

Ceejay

aguess
2007-10-30, 10:47
Is this any help? http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToiTunes

Ceejay

damn wiki's ... yes, it answers a lot.

so i'm guessing the only legal way to see iTune's downloaded music is to burn a CD and then delete the music from the library and rip it back into the library?

erland
2007-10-30, 11:22
so i'm guessing the only legal way to see iTune's downloaded music is to burn a CD and then delete the music from the library and rip it back into the library?
Yes, but I'm not sure everyone in the music industry consider it a legal way though.

Eric Seaberg
2007-10-30, 11:32
damn wiki's ... yes, it answers a lot.

OR you buy stuff from them that is iTunes PLUS! No DRM and it's 256kbps AAC. That's the only way I'll buy stuff on iTunes now. If it's not available PLUS then I'll hunt for the CD from Amazon or some place.

Crazyquilt
2007-10-31, 09:39
OR you buy stuff from them that is iTunes PLUS! No DRM and it's 256kbps AAC. That's the only way I'll buy stuff on iTunes now. If it's not available PLUS then I'll hunt for the CD from Amazon or some place.

I won't buy from iTunes any longer...period. PLUS, what there is of it, is pricey, and still very limited. I have had far, far better success with AmazonMP3, which tends to be cheaper than iTunes in general, and which seems (so far, when I've looked for things I want) to be more robust than iTunes PLUS. In addition, it automagically syncs the purchases with my iTunes library.

All that being said, I still have no problem buying CDs, especially when they're cheaper and/or I don't need immediate gratification, so that I can go from lossless to iPod ready as I see fit.

ramiles
2007-11-01, 20:27
You can also take your itunes and convert from mp4 to mpa and then to mp3. Its cumbersome but works. Link: http://www.hymn-project.org/download.php