PDA

View Full Version : Music skipping - why?

cybervision_
2007-10-29, 14:27
I have a SB3 connected via WLAN playing from my PC positioned 4 meters from the device. There is only one wall between SB3 and PC and my network card is 300 mbps and is equipped with three antennas - really good to keep it short. In slim-server it says that the signal strength is 76%.

In spite of this the music skips/stutters regularly. It can play many songs with no hick-ups, but then suddenly it skips a lot. The text on the SB3 also halts and starts from scrolling and the bars jumping and showing music playing also halts and starts repeatedly. (I am non-native english speaker and I can`t find a better word for it)

My PC is Intel C2D, 4 GB ram and my disks are WD Raptor and Samsung S-ATA 166 7200 RPM...

Help! :)

EDIT: I read a bit on the SD website and tried the network-test. at 500 kbps I got 100%. At 1000 I got 82% and at 2000 I got 56%. Probably not that good signal after-all. I have and SMC directional antenna and I will try to get my parents to send it to me. Do you think it would help if I extended one of the antennas and placed it in the door-opening so that it has clear line of sight to the SB3?

aubuti
2007-10-29, 15:48
What about interference with your wireless? Could be from a neighbor's wifi network, or a microwave oven, or 2.4 GHz cordless telephones, or other source. You can confirm whether the problem is with your wireless by temporarily running it wired via ethernet to see if the problems go away. If it is your wifi, you could try changing the channel you are using for your wifi to see if that gets any better.

Good luck.

cgull
2007-10-29, 15:49
Could be allot of things. I would check ...

what format are the files? if they are sampled above 48000khz then down sampling and stutter occurs for me
interference - 2.4ghz phone, microwave, etc
wireless speed - should be G. If there is one B client it drops to 11mbps for the WLAN.
Wireless router - check the firmware and config http://www.dd-wrt.com is great if your router supports it
is anything else saturating the network (PtoP, neighbors, etc)
duplex mismatch somewhere on wired link

cybervision_
2007-10-30, 11:46
Could be allot of things. I would check ...

what format are the files? if they are sampled above 48000khz then down sampling and stutter occurs for me
interference - 2.4ghz phone, microwave, etc
wireless speed - should be G. If there is one B client it drops to 11mbps for the WLAN.
Wireless router - check the firmware and config http://www.dd-wrt.com is great if your router supports it
is anything else saturating the network (PtoP, neighbors, etc)
duplex mismatch somewhere on wired link

.flac - standard settings.
no phone - microwave is 10+ meters away.
latest wireless devices 300 mbps - B an G
Not using router - it is a PCI-card

Well lately I`ve been getting a message that there is a IP-adress conflict when I connect the SB3 - it says that to units on the network has the same IP-adress... Important?

aubuti
2007-10-30, 14:56
Well lately I`ve been getting a message that there is a IP-adress conflict when I connect the SB3 - it says that to units on the network has the same IP-adress... Important?
Yes, very. It means two devices are competing for the same IP address, which is Not Good. Remember that you need unique IP addresses for each device, and that the computer running slimserver and the SB are different devices.

cybervision_
2007-10-30, 15:53
I fixed the IP on the wlan for the SB, but problem persists.

Yesterday I will get a SMC-antenna with focused direction of signal - maybe that will help.

Mark Lanctot
2007-10-31, 05:30
I'd get a router.

There are just too many problems with ad-hoc networking. You're totally dependent on the wireless card drivers, and I've never seen any that work well.

cybervision_
2007-11-05, 13:53
Then how will a router function? I get internet via a USB-modem so I can`t route the internet through it. I tried to make the ip-adress fixed, but I wasn`t able to change the ipv6 adress of my wlan-card - only the ipv4.

When I connect to my ad-hoc-network it says that there is an IP-adress conflict on my computer, but windows network-diagnostics can`t find any when I run the check. Strange...or...

cybervision_
2007-11-05, 15:10
I have been thinking after sitting and listening to Sarah McLachlan stuttering her way through wintersong that I could drop wlan and just go with a cabled solution. The cable will be visible some of the way - especially through the door, but hey, as long as my "better half" is ok with it then I am too.

Will my problems be over should I choose ethernet over wlan?

aubuti
2007-11-05, 15:53
Will my problems be over should I choose ethernet over wlan?
That's an empirical question. Hook up an ethernet cable and find out. My guess is it will solve your problem, but you haven't completely eliminated other possibilities yet.

If you're worried about visible cat5, you can consider homeplug adapters, which carry wired network signal over your household AC power lines.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-06, 06:34
Then how will a router function? I get internet via a USB-modem so I can`t route the internet through it.

Uhh, well that's an important detail that you left out - I'm not a mind-reader and that's an unusual arrangement.

It is definitely not helping your problems. USB modems are notoriously poor (they depend on drivers which often are not very well-written). Furthermore, Windows is probably using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing or bridging). You probably also have a regular Ethernet connection, usually on your motherboard, so you have 3 network interfaces that Windows has to juggle to manage. ICS isn't the most reliable or best-written piece of software, I would bet it's the one responsible for this "intermittent" duplicate IP. Don't depend on software for this kind of stuff.

My advice is to arrange things as http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkDesign , see "The Optimal Arrangement".

Modem -> router (most modems have both USB and Ethernet ports, use the Ethernet one)

Router -> SlimServer (hardwired, use the motherboard Ethernet port)

Uninstall the network USB driver, remove and uninstall the WLAN card.

Router -> SB (wireless at first)

You may wish to set the router for DHCP, but I find static IP addresses solve lots of problems. Let the router use its 192.168.1.0 address, give the SlimServer 192.168.1.1 and the SB 192.168.1.2.

If this doesn't work out, simply return the router to the store.

I tried to make the ip-adress fixed, but I wasn`t able to change the ipv6 adress of my wlan-card - only the ipv4.

You don't need to bother with IPv6 addresses on a home LAN/WLAN.

cybervision_
2007-11-06, 10:25
Ok, well I get internet via the old mobile-net in my country which has been transformed into wireless broadband. I have to connect via my PC as it is a dial-up service.

How do I set the slimserver ip adress? I didn`t know it had one. I`ve fixed the SB and PC ipadress to different ones.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-06, 11:15
Ok, well I get internet via the old mobile-net in my country which has been transformed into wireless broadband. I have to connect via my PC as it is a dial-up service.

Does the box have an Ethernet connection?

How do I set the slimserver ip adress? I didn`t know it had one. I`ve fixed the SB and PC ipadress to different ones.

It's the same as the PC it's running on, although for completeness because someone will point this out, it's possible for you to "bind" it to a different address, although you can't do this by accident.

The IP address will be in Server Settings - Basic.

cybervision_
2007-11-07, 14:21
No, the broadband receiver is a USB-Stick.

Ok, the IP in the Slim Server window is different from the PCs address. I tried to make the SB3 connect to the IP found in Server Settings > Basic, but it was not able to. It usually connects to the PCs IP-address.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-07, 14:34
Ok, the IP in the Slim Server window is different from the PCs address. I tried to make the SB3 connect to the IP found in Server Settings > Basic, but it was not able to. It usually connects to the PCs IP-address.

That's a big issue then. Your PC is managing so many interfaces (USB, Ethernet, WLAN), each with a separate IP, that it's getting them confused and is probably not bridging properly.

Can you post the output of "ipconfig -all" at a command prompt?

If you can't connect to the SlimServer IP as indicated in Server Settings - Basic, that usually means it's a firewall problem - you may want to check that out. But in this case it may be because there's no path from "here to there", your PC is not always forwarding traffic from your WLAN card to SlimServer. SlimServer could also be set to the wrong IP address, I'm not sure how to reset it (.pref file?) It should be set to the IP address of your WLAN card I believe, and traffic should be bridged from the USB interface to the WLAN interface. At this point it would be best to disable the Ethernet interface in the BIOS.

Moral of the story, and I don't mean to sound preachy:

- routers really simplify things!

- don't go with ISPs that force you to use non-standard, proprietary hardware you can't manage or control.

cybervision_
2007-11-07, 14:55
Well - now I`ve tried hooking it up to wired-ethernet and it connects beautifully and av 5000 kbps it gets 100% in the network test. I think I will just give the whole thing up and lay down a cable for my self.

I truly appreciate the help nonetheless!