PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Strength vs Network Test

Club1820
2007-10-29, 08:28
The other day when listening to the SB3 (wireless) any FLAC song played started to fade in/out. This has on occassion happened before. I was able to minimize it by moving the router and SB3 a little bit. When this has happened before - I noticed that the wireless strength was low (50% - 68%) and it increased when I either changed channels or moved the router.

Well this time the wireless strength was good (75%-87%) but the FLAC files were still fading in & out. So I decided to do the Network Test Plugin and was very surprised that even at 1000 kbps it was only avg. about 80%. I thought that was odd with such high Wireless Strength.

So I switched channels on the router from 11 to 1. This resulted in a Wireless Strength of 50% - 66%. I then did the Network test again and (surprise) it gave me 3000 kbps at 100%, 4000 kbps at 97% and 5000 kbps at 92%.

What gives????? Isnt the wireless strength the indicator of the reception of the SB3? How can I stream at higher levels when the wireless strength is lower?

Thanks for your replies.

snarlydwarf
2007-10-29, 10:14
Fade out? Wireless strength has nothing to do with volume of the audio.

There are -many- ways to measure network performance: signal strength is only one of them. Signal quality, for example, is another metric, measuring how much noise is appearing on the network, which will require retransmissions. Likewise, any other data moving on the network will affect things (only one device can transmit at any given instant..) therefore, having a Server sending to a Client.. if both are wireless, requires two hops: Server->AP, and AP->Client... this is true if it is SlimServer, Bittorrent, HTTP, SMB, whatever. Try to minimize wireless hops so devices don't have to wait for the network to be available).

But, again, Signal Strength by itself is a meaningless number.

SuperQ
2007-10-29, 10:28
The other day when listening to the SB3 (wireless) any FLAC song played started to fade in/out. This has on occassion happened before. I was able to minimize it by moving the router and SB3 a little bit. When this has happened before - I noticed that the wireless strength was low (50% - 68%) and it increased when I either changed channels or moved the router.

Well this time the wireless strength was good (75%-87%) but the FLAC files were still fading in & out. So I decided to do the Network Test Plugin and was very surprised that even at 1000 kbps it was only avg. about 80%. I thought that was odd with such high Wireless Strength.

So I switched channels on the router from 11 to 1. This resulted in a Wireless Strength of 50% - 66%. I then did the Network test again and (surprise) it gave me 3000 kbps at 100%, 4000 kbps at 97% and 5000 kbps at 92%.

What gives????? Isnt the wireless strength the indicator of the reception of the SB3? How can I stream at higher levels when the wireless strength is lower?

Thanks for your replies.

Even if you have a lot of signal, you could have an interfering device that is causing packet loss. The "signal strength" is based on the ratio of signal to noise. Channel 11 may have a lower noise level, but has a device that doesn't play well with wifi (cordless phones can do this) that is causing it to fail. Channel 1 may have a higher noise floor but it doesn't have anything that is really causing problems.

Personally, I would ignore the signal strength thing, and just make sure you can do 2000kbps with no packet loss.