PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to OSX Leopard slimserver

sugarmonster
2007-10-28, 17:37
Hi All,

I've just bought a Mac mini with Leopard and am trying to get Slimserver working. No matter what I try I can't get the SB2 to connect to the server.

There's something odd happening, because the mini *does* show up in the list of available servers to connect to on the SB2, it's only when I press right to connect that nothing happens.

SoftSqueeze running on another machine can use the mac server fine which is even weirder - it seems to be a specific problem with the SB2 device and the mac. The device is working, it can connect to a Vista server on the same network with no problems.

I've disabled the Leopard firewall and I can't think of any other things that could be stopping it talking. Does anyone more experienced with Macs have any bright ideas? Windows I can pull apart blindfolded but this is my first Mac so I'm at the bottom of the learning curve and running out of options...

Cheers,

Marc.

Eric Seaberg
2007-10-28, 17:47
Are you running wired or wireless on the SB2? Any router with firewall? Did you check the SHARING settings on the Mac and open the ports for the SB2? They are 9000-9090 and 3483.

Any more info you can give us as to what you're doing?

sugarmonster
2007-10-28, 18:16
The SB2 is wireless and also in ethernet bridge mode for an xbox, although that's not being used in this case.

No hardware firewall involved.

Sharing seems to have changed in Leopard from what I've read - I didn't use Tiger so can't comment first hand but the Leopard firewall is application based and doesn't give you the options to open specific ports like the old one did. If the GUI isn't lying it's disabled.

The music's on a separate NAS but I don't think things are getting far enough for that to be a problem. Basically after scrolling down on the SB2 display to select the mac server I press right on the remote to connect. That's when things disappear into a black hole. No clock, no menus and "unable to connect" if I leave it long enough.

The SB2 was at firmware 81 but I downgraded it to the one that came with 6.4 to see if that was a problem. No change.

The servers I've tried on the Mac are the release 6.5.4 and the last daily 6.5.5, both give the same result.

Thanks for the firewall hints though. Next things I'm going to try (tomorrow):

- Wire the SB2 in directly to eliminate the wireless
- Take another look at the sharing settings - could be that I need to enable file sharing even though the files aren't actually on that drive
- See about opening those specific ports. There must be a hack somewhere even if it's not in the GUI.

Thanks,

Marc.

Eric Seaberg
2007-10-28, 21:52
Are you sure the server is running? Other Leopard users here have stated they have problems with it starting on bootup or even starting at all.

I'm runnng SS 6.5.5 on my Mac MINI Intel Duo 1.83GHz running OS 10.4.10 w/o issues. Music on external 500GB firewire, running without Kbd, mouse or monitor attached. It all sits in a closet with nothing but power and an ethernet cable attached to it.

Works GREAT. I'm probably updating to Leopard this weekend. Keep the info coming and I'll help as much as possible. Check the other forums about this, too. Sounds like you're not alone on this one.

sugarmonster
2007-10-29, 12:25
So when I got in tonight I found a network cable for the mini, wired it into the LAN and turned off the Airport.

The SB2 immediately found the server and started talking. I didn't need to play with the firewall, enable sharing or anything else, it just worked when I went wired.

It's interesting that the SB2 is still wireless, I only had to wire the Mini into the LAN in order to get things working.

I don't pretend to know what happened at a hardware level to cause that sort of bizarre behaviour but the lesson is go wired to get the SB talking!

I also read the other posts re: problems running on system start so I re-installed slimserver into the user, rather than the system and set it to auto start when I log in. Since the mini is set to auto-login anyway that has the same effect.

Wired is a pain for me, aesthetically, but it's doable so I can live with it.

Now it's time to install Mono and get Inguz working - that'll be interesting :-)

Marc.

Eric Seaberg
2007-10-29, 12:30
So you were trying to have the MINI connect to your network wirelessly and ALSO have the SB2 connect wirelessly? The MINI was connecting to your access point, yes?

I wouldn't even attempt that due to the amount of traffic put on the network! I really think you'll prefer the way it works by having the MINI wired to your LAN, then the SB2 can access wirelessly.

sugarmonster
2007-10-29, 12:46
Yes that's right, the Mini and the SB2 were both connecting to the access point, and the SB2 was also operating as a wireless bridge (to an Xbox) for good measure! Then the mini would have been streaming the data wirelessly to the SB2.

Sounds odd but it does work - I did it with a Vista laptop while I was trialling Inguz. Granted I was at the very edge of what wireless could achieve but it did work surprisingly well.

Still, at least it's working now that's the main thing!

sugarmonster
2007-10-29, 13:05
A bonus, as I just found out, is that the SB wakes the mini up from sleep when it needs to play something. How cool is that? I love this thing :-)

elvinjr
2007-10-29, 13:32
Yes that's right, the Mini and the SB2 were both connecting to the access point, and the SB2 was also operating as a wireless bridge (to an Xbox) for good measure! Then the mini would have been streaming the data wirelessly to the SB2.

Sounds odd but it does work - I did it with a Vista laptop while I was trialling Inguz. Granted I was at the very edge of what wireless could achieve but it did work surprisingly well.

Still, at least it's working now that's the main thing!

I'm doing the same with a XP laptop and SB both running wireless with no problems. Just ordered a Mini and now wonder if the dual wireless will be a thing of the past.

sugarmonster
2007-10-29, 16:36
Try it and let us know. Looking around these forums it seems that there's any number of working (or not) configurations so just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean you'll have the same issues.

muski
2007-10-29, 20:58
I run Slimserver on a MacBook Pro and have wireless connectivity for my SB3s & Transporters -- ie. everything is wireless (running through an AirPort Extreme now, previously an Airport Express). I upgraded to Leopard this weekend and got both Slimserver & Inguz working fine.

A couple of random ideas:
1) When you were running wireless, were you sure of the IP address of the Mac mini running slimserver (you can see it at the bottom of the Server Settings). I only suggest this because if your Airport is also new, I seem to remember that it defaults to a 10.0.1.xxx subnet.

2) When you were running wireless, could you see the web interface from another computer?

3) Under Leopard, the Firewall settings have been (annoyingly) moved under the Security tab (and, worse, the firewall is turned off by default!). First, stop Slimserver from its preferences pane. Then in the Security->Firewall settings, choose "Set access for specific services and applications". Then go an start Slimserver again. Right afterwards, you'll get a popup access if you would like to allow incoming connections to mysqld (hit "always allow"), and then the same for "perl" (mine came up twice). Again hit "always allow". Seems like the old Windows Zone Alaram model, but I don't like it all. Just seems really lame and less secure than the old way of just opening up a couple of ports under 10.4. (BTW, I also select the "Enable Stealth Mode" under the Advanced settings of the firewall.) It will be interesting to see what the review say about the Leopard Firewall settings...

Disclaimer: I only just started playing with the firewall settings on Leopard -- so play modify yours at your own risk...

I was able to get Inguz working. Seems like the instructions I posted still work under Leopard.

muski

elvinjr
2007-11-05, 14:18
Try it and let us know. Looking around these forums it seems that there's any number of working (or not) configurations so just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean you'll have the same issues.

sugarmonster:

reporting back as you requested. got the mini mac, and at the moment it's getting along fine with the SB3. was a little funky though to get them to work and quite honestly, i'm not sure what i did that made the difference. hence, i'm sure there's more troubleshooting in the days ahead.

best of audiophile luck to you.

elvinjr

sugarmonster
2007-11-06, 10:51
Cool! Well, I'm not going to guess why it worked for you and not me but it's also not worth bashing my head against the proverbial brick wall over. Could even be a hardware difference between the SB2/SB3, who knows.

I've ordered some poweline networking stuff to get the cabled connection and using Muski's instructions got Inguz working... so I'm going to stop fiddling and enjoy some music :-)

Marc.

igroucho
2007-11-18, 13:28
3) Under Leopard, the Firewall settings have been (annoyingly) moved under the Security tab (and, worse, the firewall is turned off by default!). First, stop Slimserver from its preferences pane. Then in the Security->Firewall settings, choose "Set access for specific services and applications". Then go an start Slimserver again. Right afterwards, you'll get a popup access if you would like to allow incoming connections to mysqld (hit "always allow"), and then the same for "perl" (mine came up twice). Again hit "always allow"... (BTW, I also select the "Enable Stealth Mode" under the Advanced settings of the firewall.) It will be interesting to see what the review say about the Leopard Firewall settings...
I too can't get SS to work under Leopard. I can push the SS Start Server button but the Web Access button stays dim. I went to install the latest 7.0a but no go. I tried fiddling with the Security prefs and pushing the radio button to ad "Specific Services ..." then pushing the "+" unfolds a window in which I located Squeezecenter. Adding SC makes no difference. I just took a chance here and I don't know if this is even close to what I should do but being w/o clues this is what I did. I began following your work order but I don't get a popup access to "mysqld" or Perl. What am I doing wrong here? How can I get SS to work in my mac (I'm running 10.5.1 on a Dual G5 storing all my music on a second internal HD)???

muski
2007-11-18, 18:52
igroucho --

In the Applications/Utilities folder there is an application called Console. Run that and check if you can see a file called slimserver.log. If so, what does it say? Any clues?

muski

igroucho
2007-11-19, 07:23
This is all what I found related to SS::
2007-11-18 21.10.31 [0x0-0x2de2de].com.slimdevices.slim BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./slimserver.pl line 105.
2007-11-18 21.17.49 [0x0-0x2e32e3].com.slimdevices.slim Insecure dependency in require while running setuid at ./slimserver.pl line 105.

muski
2007-11-19, 10:53
Looks like a problem with perl. I would contact SD tech support (send the two lines from your log).

There is a chance that the solution proposed in this thread might help:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/archive/index.php/t-34474.html

It says, from the Terminal window run:

sudo cpan Storable

muski

igroucho
2007-11-20, 13:12
Where is your gzip program? [/usr/bin/gzip]

Where is your tar program? [/usr/bin/tar]

Where is your unzip program? [/usr/bin/unzip]

Warning: make not found in PATH
Where is your make program? []

Warning: lynx not found in PATH
Where is your lynx program? []

Warning: wget not found in PATH
Where is your wget program? []

Warning: ncftpget not found in PATH
Where is your ncftpget program? []

Warning: ncftp not found in PATH
Where is your ncftp program? []

Where is your ftp program? [/usr/bin/ftp]

Warning: gpg not found in PATH
Where is your gpg program? []

What is your favorite pager program? [/usr/bin/less]

What is your favorite shell? [/bin/bash]

Every Makefile.PL is run by perl in a separate process. Likewise we
run 'make' and 'make install' in processes. If you have any
parameters (e.g. PREFIX, LIB, UNINST or the like) you want to pass
to the calls, please specify them here.

If you don't understand this question, just press ENTER.

Parameters for the 'perl Makefile.PL' command?
Typical frequently used settings:

PREFIX=~/perl non-root users (please see manual for more hints)

Your choice: []

Parameters for the 'make' command?
Typical frequently used setting:

-j3 dual processor system

Parameters for the 'make install' command?
Typical frequently used setting:

UNINST=1 to always uninstall potentially conflicting files

Sometimes you may wish to leave the processes run by CPAN alone
without caring about them. As sometimes the Makefile.PL contains
question you're expected to answer, you can set a timer that will
kill a 'perl Makefile.PL' process after the specified time in seconds.

If you set this value to 0, these processes will wait forever. This is
the default and recommended setting.

Timeout for inactivity during Makefile.PL? [0]

If you're accessing the net via proxies, you can specify them in the
CPAN configuration or via environment variables. The variable in
the $CPAN::Config takes precedence.

Your ftp_proxy? []

Your http_proxy? []

Your no_proxy? []

commit: wrote /System/Library/Perl/5.8.8/CPAN/Config.pm
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok
Fetching with LWP:
ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
Going to read /Users/igroucho/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok
Fetching with LWP:
ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
Going to read /Users/igroucho/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
Database was generated on Mon, 19 Nov 2007 05:36:44 GMT

There's a new CPAN.pm version (v1.9205) available!
[Current version is v1.7602]
You might want to try
install Bundle::CPAN
reload cpan
without quitting the current session. It should be a seamless upgrade
while we are running...

Fetching with LWP:
ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz
Going to read /Users/igroucho/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
Going to write /Users/igroucho/.cpan/Metadata
Running install for module Storable
Running make for A/AM/AMS/Storable-2.17.tar.gz
Fetching with LWP:
ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/id/A/AM/AMS/Storable-2.17.tar.gz
CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
Fetching with LWP:
ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/id/A/AM/AMS/CHECKSUMS
Checksum for /Users/igroucho/.cpan/sources/authors/id/A/AM/AMS/Storable-2.17.tar.gz ok
Scanning cache /Users/igroucho/.cpan/build for sizes
Storable-2.17/
Storable-2.17/t/
Storable-2.17/t/freeze.t
Storable-2.17/t/downgrade.t
Storable-2.17/t/compat06.t
Storable-2.17/t/Test/
Storable-2.17/t/Test/More.pm
Storable-2.17/t/Test/Simple.pm
Storable-2.17/t/Test/Builder.pm
Storable-2.17/t/tied_hook.t
Storable-2.17/t/make_overload.pl
Storable-2.17/t/forgive.t
Storable-2.17/t/code.t
Storable-2.17/t/utf8.t
Storable-2.17/t/compat01.t
Storable-2.17/t/blessed.t
Storable-2.17/t/recurse.t
Storable-2.17/t/integer.t
Storable-2.17/t/sig_die.t
Storable-2.17/t/utf8hash.t
Storable-2.17/t/file_magic.t
Storable-2.17/t/retrieve.t
Storable-2.17/t/st-dump.pl
Storable-2.17/t/HAS_OVERLOAD.pm
Storable-2.17/t/just_plain_nasty.t
Storable-2.17/t/circular_hook.t
Storable-2.17/t/interwork56.t
Storable-2.17/t/threads.t
Storable-2.17/t/store.t
Storable-2.17/t/lock.t
Storable-2.17/t/restrict.t
Storable-2.17/t/croak.t
Storable-2.17/t/overload.t
Storable-2.17/t/tied.t
Storable-2.17/t/malice.t
Storable-2.17/t/tied_items.t
Storable-2.17/t/attach_errors.t
Storable-2.17/t/HAS_HOOK.pm
Storable-2.17/t/dclone.t
Storable-2.17/t/testlib.pl
Storable-2.17/t/HAS_ATTACH.pm
Storable-2.17/t/canonical.t
Storable-2.17/t/attach_singleton.t
Storable-2.17/t/make_56_interwork.pl
Storable-2.17/t/weak.t
Storable-2.17/t/make_downgrade.pl
Storable-2.17/hints/
Storable-2.17/hints/gnukfreebsd.pl
Storable-2.17/hints/linux.pl
Storable-2.17/hints/gnuknetbsd.pl
Storable-2.17/MANIFEST
Storable-2.17/ChangeLog
Storable-2.17/Storable.xs
Storable-2.17/ppport.h
Storable-2.17/README
Storable-2.17/Makefile.PL
Storable-2.17/Storable.pm
Storable-2.17/META.yml

CPAN.pm: Going to build A/AM/AMS/Storable-2.17.tar.gz

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for Storable
-- NOT OK
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

So where am I at now? Didn't think I'd ever dwell into archaic UNIX cmnds. I just wanna play some music with my Transporter...