PDA

View Full Version : Music playing at work options?

Gibbo
2007-10-28, 09:11
Hi,

I work in a chemistry lab and currently listen to music at work by having a 15gb ipod connected up to a powered bass and speaker setup. My problem is I have in excess of 80gb of music I would like to have access to.

What are my options?

there is a computer in the lab, but no wireless. the computer is for multiple users so can't just be left playing as others have seperate logins. I have considered buying a new ipod or equivalent but ipods seem to have a limited lifespan, and equivalents seem very pricey for large drives.

I've considered a SB1 or 2 as I wouldn't want an expensive desktop (ie new SB) solution as it would only get damaged in the lab. Is my only option hoping to find something on ebay?

Do I have any other options?

i'm in the uk btw.

any thoughts on a music solution would be appreciated.

hirschaj
2007-10-28, 17:54
It's not elegant but how about an external enclosure with a 160GB hard drive? It's relatively portable and not very expensive.

Gibbo
2007-10-29, 01:11
Thanks for the reply, could you be a bit more descriptive please? what do you mean by an external enclosure?

I know you can get hard drive enclosures with audio out, but they require a tv or something to view the files to decide what to play and thats not really practical.

Gibbo
2007-10-29, 15:08
Do I really have no options?

iPhone
2007-10-29, 15:16
Just for starter you could buy two 40 gig iPods or one 80 gig. All kidding aside, what kind of WAN/LAN is available?

Are you running an SB at home yet?

pfarrell
2007-10-29, 15:16
Gibbo wrote:
> Do I really have no options?

The Wiki has a fair amount of discussions of how to use SSH to tunnel
from an office to your home SlimServer. Once that works, you can use any
SquezeBox, Transporter or even Softsqueeze.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

JJZolx
2007-10-29, 15:36
Do I really have no options?

It's a little unclear what you're trying to accomplish. Using an iPod/portable player is infinitely simpler than using a Squeezebox. Just not as flexible.

Here are a couple of Squeezebox options:

1. Run SlimServer on a PC in the office. Store your music on a hard disk in (or attached to) the PC. Stream music to a Squeezebox.

With just one shared PC in the office, that could be tough. The individual logons might not pose a problem if you can install the server as an Administrator on the PC and run SlimServer as a service when the machine boots up. A more likely problem would be that SlimServer would use up valuable resources on the PC and interfere with users' work, or (even more likely) that work would interfere with SlimServer and cause music interruptions.

A personal laptop, if permitted on your office network, would be another option. So would building an inexpensive dedicated SlimServer.

2. Set up a Squeezebox and connect to your home SlimServer. Will require a fair amount of bandwidth, so you'll need reasonably fast connections at both home and work. This isn't an option in many offices, as network activity is often closely monitored and a constant stream of bandwidth being used will raise red flags and may even get you fired.

May take some technical prowess in figuring out how to allow traffic into your home network and through any firewalls that may be in place.

3. Set up a Squeezebox and use SqueezeNetwork to listen to only Internet radio. Same bandwidth issues and cautions as above, but you won't need to worry about the home SlimServer end of things. And no easy way to play your own music.

Gibbo
2007-10-30, 00:59
I run a SB3 at home, and really just want the availability that gives me in my work place as well. the thing is I don't want to go buy a new sb3 to put in my lab as it will get splashed, corroded, etc etc etc. For discussions sake there is no wireless, but there is an wired network. I take it there is nowhere to buy SB1 or 2 except ebay?
this could then be connected to the computer by ethernet and would run SS even if someone else logged on, so long as the admin account switched user and not logged off? I don't want to leave my home server running all day as I don't have a NAS, only my home machine.

Thanks for all your help, I know this is really only a slim forum, but you lot have always been so much more useful on this stuff than anywhere else.